Imperial Guard Versus Dark Eldar - Tips - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard Versus Dark Eldar - Tips

Hi Guys,

My mate and I are starting up at the same time. I've chose IG, he's chosen Dark Eldar.

We're probably going to have our first battle in a week or so. I've played like twice before, but both times I had my hand held by a veteran!

Do you guys have some tried and tested methods of fighting Dark Eldar? I hear theyre very very vicious and even faster!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I've learned, more generally but applicable to Dark Eldar as well, is that if an opponent stuns or shakes your vehicles (results 1 and 2 on the vehicle damage table) that's really a victory for your opponent. Granted the vehicle is not destroyed, but they've effectively negated that vehicle during that turn.

For Dark Eldar, Haywire grenades and Haywire grenade launchers are REALLY good at keeping vehicles out of commission. That and lance weapons negate all the AV14 from a Leman Russ, so just keep that in mind.

Most importantly, have fun with it. Acknowledge that you won't know all the rules off hand, and will need to look some of them up. And in the case when you thought one thing, but the rule book says another, just learn from your mistake. It can be difficult doing this, as had you known the rule prior to your move/shooting/assault, you might have made a different move/shooting/assault. Not a whole lot can be done about this, just accept it and know that you'll get another chance in the future.
    General Van Rensaler
    Commander of the Cadian 713th
    "The Sledgehammer of the Emperor"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autocannons autocannons autocannons, I cannot express how much love an autocannon can become when facing against dark eldar. Leave the veterans with melta guns at home, if ur launching an assault to blow up their vehicless with some close up melta your just asking to lose those veterans the second they charge you. Remember that all his vehicles are open toppd so a plus 1 on the vehicle damage chart like always and the autocannon's strength and number of shots are useful. If you have the points and the money *cough* the hydra flak tanks are amazing at their jobs here. Just shoot from a far and bait them to the massive amount of shots. Hope this helps

"DID WE JUST SIGN UP FOR A SUICIDE MISSION, RICO?" "YEAH WE JUST DID, WHEN WE ENLISTED" LOVE THE IMPERIAL GUARD, JOIN TODAY!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autocannons autocannons autocannons, I cannot express how much love an autocannon can become when facing against dark eldar. Leave the veterans with melta guns at home, if ur launching an assault to blow up their vehicless with some close up melta your just asking to lose those veterans the second they charge you. Remember that all his vehicles are open toppd so a plus 1 on the vehicle damage chart like always and the autocannon's strength and number of shots are useful. If you have the points and the money *cough* the hydra flak tanks are amazing at their jobs here. Just shoot from a far and bait them to the massive amount of shots. Hope this helps

"DID WE JUST SIGN UP FOR A SUICIDE MISSION, RICO?" "YEAH WE JUST DID, WHEN WE ENLISTED" LOVE THE IMPERIAL GUARD, JOIN TODAY!!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

yeah hydra are really at their best against the paper-armoured dark eldar vehicles.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Hydras are cheating. Don't use Hydras against him it's not fair.

AV12 is actually quite tough for Dark Eldar to crack. Consider this - your ST6 multilasers are as effective vs his AV10 paper-boats as his ST8 dark lances are vs your AV12 Chimeras, except multilasers shoot 3 times!

Against DE you need to learn to sacrifice units. As I said, it's hard for DE to break a lot of AV12. When he gets close your hull flamers and massed shooting will be very effective against his paper-thin troops.

I don't know if you have read Call of the Wild but there's a scene in that book where a bulldog fights a wolf. He can dance around you, you need to push him, take up central positions on the board and dominate him.

One great option would be outflanking sentinels. If he's trying to keep you at range then you can outflank and pop up near his troops (2/3 chance anyway!) then pepper his boats with multilasers or autocannons!
    Last edited by Korona; July 11th, 2011 at 23:00.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Maaaaaaanticores.

Like everyone else said, autocannons are great, hydras would be fairly cheap, but manticores are boss (against anyone, really).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputation
    1547 (x8)

Leman Russ Eradicator ignores cover saves and most of their armor saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hydra is the best thing you can bring, i have two of them and at only 75 pts they will cause way more dammage than that. auto cannon squads would be useful as well tho maby not quite as cost effective as the hydras. I m on a bit of a vendetta gunship kick lately tho i cant say i have fought any dark eldar with my gunships as ive only had them for about two weeks.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

You don't need Hydras. Here's a 1750 all-comers list that just shreds Dark Eldar (and Orks, and Grey Knights).

HQ
    195 Company Command Squad w/4 x Plasma, Fleet Officer, Chimera

Troops
    155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera
    155 Veteran Squad w/3 x Melta, Chimera
    125 Platoon Command Squad w/4 x Melta, Chimera
    65 + Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Autocannon
    125 Platoon Command Squad w/4 x Melta, Chimera

Fast Attack
    130 Vendetta Gunship
    130 Vendetta Gunship
    145 Hellhound w/Hull Multi-Melta

Heavy Support
    165 Leman Russ Demolisher w/Hull Heavy Flamer
    165 Leman Russ Battle Tank w/Hull Lascannon

Total: 1750

I didn't design this list specifically to kill Dark Eldar, but it works so well that I've been accused of just that. Almost every unit can down a skimmer, and the Hellhound sweeps up the survivors; denying them their FNP saves.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast