the BEST wargear for platoon command squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: The BEST weapons/equipment for PCS

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4 flamers

11 30.56%
  • 3 flamers, 1 heavy flamer

1 2.78%
  • 4 plasmaguns

3 8.33%
  • 4 meltaguns

7 19.44%
  • 4 granade lunchers

7 19.44%
  • 3 flamers 1 vox

4 11.11%
  • 2 flamers, 1 heavy flamer, 1 vox

1 2.78%
  • other (please post)

2 5.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the BEST wargear for platoon command squad

Which is the best wargear for platoon command squad and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

i said 4 flamers.
    because the heavy flamer is too expensive and not that effective.

I was really tempted into voting for 4 meltas, but without ablative wounds the unit is really fragile... same reason for the 4x plasmaguns.
    i'd use these 2 special weapons only with veteran or as an extreme solution in special weapons squads.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that overall Flamers are the best choice for a PCS. Meltas and Plasmas are better off on BS 4 models (CCS, Veterans), whereas Flamers bypass the PCS BS of 3 and can be very effective in the right circumstances. I voted for 3 Flamers and a Vox Caster, but i am one of few than run a Vox Network, mostly due to the fact the majority of my armies are infantry heavy. In a mechanised list, 4 Flamers all the way. I also agree that Heavy Flamers are not cost effective, for 15 more points than a regular Flamer the increase in effectiveness is marginal.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by xDETHx Turtle View Post
    Meltas and Plasmas are better off on BS 4 models (CCS, Veterans), whereas Flamers bypass the PCS BS of 3 and can be very effective in the right circumstances.
    That's a common misconception.

4 Melta shots @ BS3 = 2 Hits on average
    3 Melta shots @ BS4 = 2 Hits on average

As you can see, the averages are the same. While the potential for good luck on the PCS is higher and the cost is 30 points cheaper.

I've run melta PCS squads in Chimeras and have had zero issues with them. Their lack of ablative wounds is the only valid concern. But they get orders (particularly MOVE MOVE MOVE) to compensate.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Grenade Launchers for me. They're cheap, effective at stopping transports, and when I need them, can drop blasts on a horde.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post
    That's a common misconception.

4 Melta shots @ BS3 = 2 Hits on average
    3 Melta shots @ BS4 = 2 Hits on average

As you can see, the averages are the same. While the potential for good luck on the PCS is higher and the cost is 30 points cheaper.

I've run melta PCS squads in Chimeras and have had zero issues with them. Their lack of ablative wounds is the only valid concern. But they get orders (particularly MOVE MOVE MOVE) to compensate.
    That's true and a good point, when compared to Veterans. If you wanted 4 Meltas on both your CCS and PCS it still works great, but if you are happy with only one Melta Command Squad the CCS is a better choice. My point is i'd rather run Flamers on the more vulnerable PCS w/ BS 3 rather than run 3 Flamers on a Vet Squad (or CCS), which would be a waste of their higher BS. Of course, if you didn't want Flamers in your army at all, go for the Meltas, but i think a PCS is one of the best ways of adding Flamers to your list.
    Last edited by xDETHx Turtle; July 13th, 2011 at 02:51.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by xDETHx Turtle View Post
    That's true and a good point, when compared to Veterans. If you wanted 4 Meltas on both your CCS and PCS it still works great, but if you are happy with only one Melta Command Squad the CCS is a better choice. My point is i'd rather run Flamers on the more vulnerable PCS w/ BS 3 rather than run 3 Flamers on a Vet Squad (or CCS), which would be a waste of their higher BS. Of course, if you didn't want Flamers in your army at all, go for the Meltas, but i think a PCS is one of the best ways of adding Flamers to your list.
    True, if all you want are flamers in a Chimera, then the PCS is the way to go. But I've become fond of carapace armored Vets with flamers. They make nice blockers to counter assault troops.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

carapace + flamers? isn't this a little waste? maybe carapace + plasmaguns is better, even if 30 pts more expensive.

OT: i have read that you want to quit w40k, is that true sandwyrm?
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Frost89 View Post
    carapace + flamers? isn't this a little waste? maybe carapace + plasmaguns is better, even if 30 pts more expensive.
    The flamers are there to scare/fry assault troops. Especially Orks & Nids. The carapace armor is to keep the squad alive as it runs about in the open.

If you're willing to spend 145 points per squad, go with flamers + demolitions. You'll kill twice as many Marines/Terminators/Nob Bikers as you would with Plasmas. You'll also be able to threaten vehicles with the meltabombs. Which stops tank shocks very nicely. You can also load them in a Vendetta and get off (or at least threaten to) the odd turn-1 alpha strike. They're quit the versatile blocking squad.

OT: i have read that you want to quit w40k, is that true sandwyrm?
    If you've been reading the blog, Uberdark is quitting. Farmpunk and I are feeling disaffected by GW's policies too. But we're not quitting. At least not before 6th Edition, where we hope the current rumors aren't true. If they are, I know I have until next summer to enjoy 40K before I have to find something else.

What we have done is to stop buying GW's crap until at least until the end of this year. In the meantime we're trying out other wargames like Kings of War, Warpath, and Flames of War. I've already bought into Malifaux for small skirmishes, and we're playing LOTS of World of Tanks online. You should too, as it's free and a lot of fun.

Call it a preemptive diversification of our leisure activities.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

ok last ot: i am in WoT too, same nick. see you there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast