Heavy Weapon Bases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heavy Weapon Bases

I have been reading on another gaming site that IG heavy weapons should, and must be placed on the 60mm bases supplied and that it is also a rule.
    But this is confusing, ive seen in many GW employee armies Missile Launcher teams on 25mm bases, and also the old metal models are on 25mm bases...
    My main questions are

Does everyone use the larger ones for their Heavy Weapons?

Is it illegal (against the rules) to have say missile launchers on a 25mm base even if the weapons loader is clearly marked and stays next to them?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Mackenzie.

Join The Imperial Guard, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

Page 3 of the BRB notes that models "are normally supplied with a plastic base. If so, they must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in the game."

In short as the new heavy weapons teams come with a 60mm base they must be mounted on them. The old missile launcher teams came on 25mm slottabases so they can be played on these. It also notes that you can use different sized bases with opponents permission, which I believe is generally interpreted as larger bases are fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Carmine View Post
    In short as the new heavy weapons teams come with a 60mm base they must be mounted on them.
    But on page 261 of the rulebook it clearly shows a missile launcher team mounted on 25mm bases with loaders modeled appropriately... is this acceptable? Because that was my main idea and also lets me get more heavy weapons out of the box.. Have my autocannon teams on 60mm and Missile launchers on 25mm

Mackenzie
    Join The Imperial Guard, Visit exotic places, meet strange people, then kill them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Commisar Shortie View Post
    But on page 261 of the rulebook it clearly shows a missile launcher team mounted on 25mm bases with loaders modeled appropriately... is this acceptable? Because that was my main idea and also lets me get more heavy weapons out of the box.. Have my autocannon teams on 60mm and Missile launchers on 25mm

Mackenzie
    That looks like the Cadian heavy weapon teams, which do come with 60mm bases so RAW says they should be on bigger bases; however like I said above the rulebook also says that with your opponents permission you can use any base size you like, so as long as your regular opponents are cool with it, then go for it.

Alternatively you can get the best of both worlds. Build them on the 25mm bases like you want them to be, and have the 60mm bases on standby. If you play someone who thinks that they should be on the bigger bases then using either magnets or even blu-tac you can have your boys ready to rock in moments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There actually isn't a specific rule that covers this, so as long as the Heavy Weapon Team is clearly marked and your opponent knows this i think it would be fine either way. The Elysian Drop Troops Missile Launcher Team actually comes with six 25mm bases and three 60mm bases, allowing you to model them however you choose.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by xDETHx Turtle View Post
    There actually isn't a specific rule that covers this
    Except there is. Open your rulebook to page 3 (hardback version), and they are right there under the heading Bases.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except there is. Open your rulebook to page 3 (hardback version), and they are right there under the heading Bases.
    As you have detailed in your previous post the rule states models "are normally supplied with a plastic base. If so, they must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in the game." As Imperial Guard HWT's are based on both 25mm and 60mm bases provided by GW themselves, i don't see the problem in using either one.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by xDETHx Turtle View Post
    As you have detailed in your previous post the rule states models "are normally supplied with a plastic base. If so, they must be glued onto their bases before they can be used in the game." As Imperial Guard HWT's are based on both 25mm and 60mm bases provided by GW themselves, i don't see the problem in using either one.
    The set I have only came with the big bases, is this correct or was I shorted on a set of 25mm bases? Basically the answer to this changes it all, if the model comes with both bases as standard then the choice is yours. If it doesn't come with the bases then you need opponents permission. At least that is my understanding based on what is written in the rulesbook.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The set I have only came with the big bases, is this correct or was I shorted on a set of 25mm bases? Basically the answer to this changes it all, if the model comes with both bases as standard then the choice is yours. If it doesn't come with the bases then you need opponents permission. At least that is my understanding based on what is written in the rulesbook.
    My apologies i wasn't very clear earlier. You are correct in that the plastic Cadian/Catachan HWT's only come with a 60mm base. What i meant to say was that because IG HWT's in the past (and current ones too) have come with 25mm bases there is no reason why you should have to use 60mm bases. My interpretation is that just because the HWT comes with only a 60mm base you shouldn't be forced to use it when many other IG HWT's are on a 25mm base. Why should a Cadian ML team be on a 60mm base when you can buy a variety of IG ML teams where 25mm bases are provided? The literal interpretation of the rule would be to use the 60mm base, but i think this is a classic example of Rules As Written vs Rules As Intended. I think GW wrote this rule more as a guideline that all your miniatures should be based, and 999 times out of a thousand the base you use would be the one that is supplied as it was intended to be used for that miniature. In the HWT's case though i believe both 25mm and 60mm bases are acceptable simply because both have been and are used. I can't see any reasonable opponent disallowing the use of either base anyhow, if they say no you may want to reconsider playing against them at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x1)

Ah right, I see where you are coming from. I was trying to answer by RAW where it seems to suggests that you use what you are given, unless your opponents allow otherwise.

I completly agree that it would be unreasonable as an opponent to insist on missile teams being on the bases, considering they still sell the old style ones. Unreasonable but not against the rules as written, which unfortunatly is one of those problems folk can run into at gaming clubs, hence my attempt at a RAW answer with the provisio that GW themselves state about opponents permission. It's a rule that could be much better written, but that can be said for a fair few of the RAW vs RAI arguments.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast