Command Squad Identity Question and Opinions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Command Squad Identity Question and Opinions

hey guys,
    Have a question about my company command squad. I currently a pretty inexperienced guard player. I'm more of a marine guy. Anyway I run a LRBT with heavy bolters and heavy stubber (which btw might hav as many kills as the heavy bolters), two platoons with plamsa guns (one also has autocannons), one veterans squad with (depending on the enemy) 2 flamers and heavy flamer or 3 meltas or demolitions doctorine, and 2 vendettas (one with hellfury missiles).

the question is:

with this style army should I outfit my company command squad with:

command squad-180pts
    4 meltas
    powerfist
    carspace armour
    Chimera
    ---or---

command squad- 180pts
    plasma pistol
    standard
    Lascannon
    plasma gun
    Master of the Ordanance
    camo cloaks

I'm torn between the two because I really want the orders from the stationary command squad to my HWS but I really like I have watched the mobile command squad chew through tyranid warrior squad with meltas and power fist

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by killtacular99 View Post
    hey guys,
    Have a question about my company command squad. I currently a pretty inexperienced guard player. I'm more of a marine guy. Anyway I run a LRBT with heavy bolters and heavy stubber (which btw might hav as many kills as the heavy bolters), Here's your first problem right here. Don't put sponsons or upgrades on your tanks, beyond maybe a hull lascannon. The points are much better spent elsewhere, and it forces your tanks to stay static or waste firepower. Just run a vanilla Russ with hull lascannon to take advantage of the Lumbering Behemoth rule. two platoons with plamsa guns (one also has autocannons), one veterans squad with (depending on the enemy) 2 flamers and heavy flamer Second problem. Heavy flamer in a vet squad is way too expensive to be worth it. or 3 meltas or demolitions doctorine, and 2 vendettas (one with hellfury missiles) Why on earth would you take Hellfury missiles when a Valkyrie can provide the same anti-infantry firepower for less points? Keep the lascannons..

the question is:

with this style army should I outfit my company command squad with:

command squad-180pts
    4 meltas
    powerfist
    carspace armour
    Chimera
    As far as upgrades goes, carapace armor vs. Chimera is an either/or situation. The Chimera is much better, don't bother with the carapace armor. Also, why the powerfist? A Str 6 weapon on a toughness 3 model isn't going to do much at all. Keep him vanilla.
    ---or---

command squad- 180pts
    plasma pistol
    standard
    Lascannon
    plasma gun
    Master of the Ordanance
    camo cloaks
    Standard? Do you really want your command squad in close combat? Didn't think so. Drop it. Lascannon is fine if you're planning on staying back field, but the autocannon is a better choice generally, especially with two Vendettas flying around. The MoO hasn't really done much for me. I'd prefer a Officer of the Fleet to disrupt deep strikers. Also, camo cloaks aren't really worth it compared to a Chimera, again.

I'm torn between the two because I really want the orders from the stationary command squad to my HWS but I really like I have watched the mobile command squad chew through tyranid warrior squad with meltas and power fist
    Overall, in the Guard, stacking upgrades on squads very rarely earn their points back. Whether you want them static in back field or mobile, a Chimera is always a good upgrade. If you plan to be static, an Autocannon is the best choice for heavy weapons. Keep your command squads cheap. Since it's not a scoring unit, its less valuable than your troops, who can do roughly the same job.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

I'm not opposed to a Powerfist on a CCS, if and only if it's using up the last of your points with nothing else to spend it on (and only after buying a bodyguard). It's a nice little suprise to tuck away into the squad. He's essentially got 5-6 (after bodyguard) ablative wounds before you even need to worry about ID, and a 5+ invul.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You sound like a Straken kind of guy. He can throw orders around, make his men hit back hard AND comes with a high-initiative powerfist! Just organize those two platoons into infantry blobs, keep them near Straken and enjoy your rolling freight train of death.

I wouldn't sweat using orders on HW squads. It's hard to do reliably and, if they're an actual threat to the enemy, they'll die first anyway.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread