Ironclad Dreadnought: How do you like yours? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you like your Ironclad?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • DCCW, Meltagun + Stormbolter

0 0%
  • DCCW, Meltagun + Heavy Flamer

8 44.44%
  • DCCW, Double Heavy Flamer

8 44.44%
  • Meltagun + Hurricane Bolter

1 5.56%
  • Heavy Flamer + Hurricane Bolter

1 5.56%
  • Ironclad Assault Launchers

4 22.22%
  • Hunter Killer Missiles

3 16.67%
  • Chainfist

3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Ironclad Dreadnought: How do you like yours?

I'm just about to assemble and paint my first Ironclad Dreadnought and my initial plan is a setup with 2 heavy flamers and assault launchers. Anyway, I'm interested in your experiences and setups with the "more assaulty" dreadnought in our selection...

Yes, you can vote multiple times in the poll.

Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    421 (x8)

I use melta gun, heavy flamer and assault launchers. Sometimes a hunter-killer or two if I have points spare. Personnaly I think the chainfist is a bit unnecessary as your strength 10 anyway and that'll be the first to go. I don't like hurricane bolters because, well, just why would you want them? You want the ironclad to be mashing up MEQ in combat. I think the melta/heavy flamer combo is the best because you can do anything then. Melta the transport, then assault the guys inside. Or heavy flamer a MEQ squad and laugh as the krar grenades can't hurt it and the powerfist hopelessly tries to roll 5s and 6s. The assault launchers are self expanitory why there so good. Plus it keeps it cheap. Its a win win!
    One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

I like mine with the heavy flamer, melta, and dccw arms. As has been mentioned, a chainfist is a bit overkill, and I really only like hurricane bolters as defensive weapons on tanks. The melta allows the dread to hopefully pop a tank the turn he arrives, usually via drop pod. The flamer is more for later turns as a lead-in to charging, and I'd like the versatility over the few extra wounds. For assault launchers... I just don't assault in cover or get assaulted by mc's often enough to seem to warrant them. YMMV on that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use mine on foot with meltagun and heavy flamer. I used it in drop pod but it usually don't survived first turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly warhammer - this is its whole job when droppped alone in a drop pod! I play a bike army and after turbo boosting towards the enemy I need something to draw all the big gun fire so my uber strong shooty bikes can get into melta whipping, plasma burning range with as little damage as possible!

Drop pod him down next to something juicy the enemy thinks is pretty safe i.e. troops on the objective or basilisk type support. Blast a shot with the melta - even if it misses it creates a fear ripple forcing vehicles to move and engage or get pummelled in turn two. Blast a heavy flamer shot into troops and kill some. This is all it needs as your opponent is then forced to divert firepower to stop it destroying precious troop choices for objective contesting.

Simples.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

DCCW, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist, 2xHKM and ICAL plus a assault drop pod, land behind enemy lines and kill stuff.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheShad0w View Post
    DCCW, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Chainfist, 2xHKM and ICAL plus a assault drop pod, land behind enemy lines and kill stuff.
    With 2xHKMs an Ironclad can certainly pack a scary alpha-strike when you drop it in the middle of enemy formation. Whether it lives through the next enemy shooting phase is another matter.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Yup, that's why you take them. Even if you don't use a dreadnought assault drop pod, you can still roughly land behind a tank and blow it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you guys notice a big difference over a regular Dread? I usually use the cheepest dread possible (MM+DCCW+S as a tarpit who runs behind a tank. Does the Ironclad act as an effective melee fighter that can actually destroy units? Does AV13 make a lot of difference (this seems to be the big selling point, missiles pen on a 6!)?

Essentially I love the look of the Forge World dreads and might grab one; with the massive drill and groovy battering ram arms...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

av 13 makes a big difference unless you are fighting against eldar. The Ironclad also comes with extra armor, so it will always be able to move unless it becomes immobilized.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast