Ratlings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratlings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ratlings

Ratlings? How do you guys feel about them in game and fluff ? How would you improve them?

Hold the line here ... we are the last line for our future...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

They work better in the camp kitchens than on the battlefield. They are not worth their points for me.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

They work better in the camp kitchens than on the battlefield. They are not worth their points for me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

wow triple post ironwevil - good effort ^.^

I love ratlings as a fluffy choice. I inevitable end up with 100 or less points to spend and throw in a nice unit of ratlings when i'm playing a friendly game. I'm just very fond of them I guess bueing underdogs and all. In game terms they're not great, but oftentimes the enemy will head straight for them and away from something more important of yours as they falsely perceive ratlings with sniper rifles to be nasty, especially tyranid players.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by waddywoos
    oftentimes the enemy will head straight for them and away from something more important of yours as they falsely perceive ratlings with sniper rifles to be nasty, especially tyranid players.
    nids just find them tasty is all

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Friar View Post
    nids just find them tasty is all
    Hardly surprising, as they're self-seasoning. Their aversion to physical activity probably makes them tender as well.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

They are really good for putting wounds on certain absurdly tough guys like Nightbringer. On the other hand, they are pretty useless against regular infantry, except their rifles cause pinning - so if you happen to have a PBS they can force enemy squads to ground very easily.

I think they're only really worth taking if you either know your opponent's list will have high toughness creatures or else if you want to do the PBS/pinning weapon combo. Do keep in mind their rubbish LD though, once they take some casualties they will run so don't put them on the board edge like I did!
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Yeah but if you want your enemy pinned with this combo you need to put weaken resolve on them before they get shot, and then what happens if your ratlings fail to kill a guy?

9 ratlings is an average of 2 wounds and 1 rending wound on anything, if they have a decent save or cover you're not guarinteed to do anything, and if you dont want to spend that many points on some hobbits you're even less likely to do anything.

It's a fun trick but it isnt reliable, getting your opponent to flee is usually good enough, although shutting down some ATSKNF marines every now and then would be nice. A griffon would probobly do this just as well, and wouldnt rely on the psyker battle squad to be useful.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Ratlings just don't belong in 40k as things stand. Weak guns, craven, squishy...and it doesn't help that their only real competence is in starting extra-close to the enemy instead of their buddies. Even the fluff barely notices their existence.

Besides, I prefer Basilisks for my pinning needs. If the indirect-fire pin test doesn't get them then the morale test might, and if they pass both then at least they've still taken casualties. You never see sniper rifles dropping five Marines at once.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast