Leafblower? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leafblower?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leafblower?

I hear a lot of people saying that IG Leafblower is the toughest list out there right now. I was curious if anyone could tell me what this is or post a link if it has already been asked (looked at the first cpl pages and couldnt find).

Also wondered if anyone could give me any ideas vs a Grey Knights list that has : Draigo, 2 Paladin groups w/ Banner and Apothecary, 2 DKights (Teleports and Sword), 1 Dreadnought, don't know what else he will have.

I have a lot of IG so feel free to recommend anything except Artillery vs him.

As an FYI I normally run an infantry list with a 2-4 tanks to back them up, I just love seeing infantry everywhere . Thanks All!

Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

against pallies, can't go wrong with 2-3 demolishers or medusas, s10 ap2 will wreck pallies. meltaguns on vets will also one-shot them. or you could even try to fight them in cc w/ the standard blob squad format of commissar and power weapons, though, unless you've already wittled the pallies down to 2-3 in the squad, they will eventually chew through the blob.

for the dreadknights... lascannons or ratlings (though the lascannons are useful for more than just dreadknights, but killing a dreadknight with midget snipers would be more fun). though things like multilasers and autocannons will hurt them too, those won't negate their 2+ save. special weapon wise, meltaguns or plasmaguns will work as well.

for the dreadnought, the usual autocannon spam of hydras/sentinels/other should hurt them, though it's probably gonna be a s8 psyrifle dread so gonna have to target those quick or they'll really bring the pain to all your non av14 vehicles. luckily, unless he takes venerables (whichll be that much more expensive), you should only encounter 1 of them due to the dreadknights taking up the rest of his hs slots.

grey knights should have trouble taking the amount of tanks/units you can field with IG if he's not spamming psycannons and psyrifle dreads. if you're meched up, then staying outside of assault range of the pallies shouldn't be too hard until you zoom in at the end to finish them off with chimeltas. otherwise, if you're going the infantry approach, just force him to only be able to assault one 10-man squad per assault phase, nailing him with a ton of firepower inbetween each of his consolidates.

edit: didn't see fearless on their entry so not sure how they are leadership wise, but if you're able to force at least a morale check per shooting phase, a psyker squad could help assure that his paladins are continuously running back as much as they're trying to run forward and possibly never even reach you.
    Last edited by Certs; September 1st, 2011 at 02:05.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Leafblower lists are basically mechanised gunlines that are intended to blow your opponent of the table in a single turn of shooting. Some things that figure prominently in a leafblower are:

Medusas
    Manticores
    Hydras
    Vendettas
    and as many Chimeras as you can shoe-horn in at your point level.

To be successful, this type of list needs as much range and clear field of fire as it can get. It is weak to rapid moving assault armies, and armies with good outflankers. DoA BA lists, Deathwing, and Snikrot lists immediately come to mind. Chaos Deamons are rough on this kind of list as well.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

So are games on tables with decent terrain coverage
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Yeah. Leafblower was unstoppable when the codex first came out and made popular when Darkwyn (I think) won 'Ardboyz with it.....then people quickly learned how to deal with it.

Honestly Leafblower is fairly easy to counter, IMO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Depending on the scenario (and given that he's running Banner/Apothecary, he's probably not combat-squadding) you could simply block his way with a string of infantry squads, since he's got a maximum of 6 engaged targets per turn, and since you can only assault what you shoot.... That said, your best option is melta, melta, and more melta, and demolishers - and concentrated, protected melta at that - ie, meltavets in chimeras. You can overwhelm him with targets in his path, so even if he does obliterate what he's after that turn, he's not getting a lot of forward movement out of it
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks all for your fast replies.

So the list I was thinking for vs him is this:

Comm Squad - 4x Melta Chimera

Plat Comm Squad 4x Melta Chimera

10x Inf Sq - Commissar PW
    10x Inf Sq

10x Inf Sq - Commissar PW
    10x Inf Sq

Hvy Weapon Team - 3x Auto

Vet Squad - 3x Melta Chimera
    Vet Squad - 3x Melta Chimera

Vendetta
    Vendetta
    Vendetta

2x Demolisher - Lasc
    2x Battle Tank - Lasc

Do you think that will fair ok?

Just out of curiousity does anyone think that you can have too many Vendetta's?

So a Leaf Blower list would get rid of the Infantry for the most part and do a straight mech with as much shooting as possible? No tanks?

Curious he was reading through my book and he said that the Melta's couldn't fire out of the hatch on the chimera because in the book it says something about them using the las emplacements on the back. I told him that was a bunch of bull and shot with my meltas. Did I cheat?
    Last edited by HAB_Incognito; September 1st, 2011 at 08:11.
    Armies: 40k: Imperial Guard, Orks Fantasy: Skaven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

you can fire up to 5 weapons from the squad out of the hatch on the chimera, the lasguns on the vehicle model are just for show nowadays, so you didn't cheat.

i don't know if you can have too many vendettas... depends on whether you're doing an air cav list or not, in which case you should still take a fair amount of valkyries as well. otherwise, i believe 2 is usually enough but a 3rd one isn't bad either. they're great firepower but they're also usually the first things to get targetted and destroyed by the enemy.

as for the list, should probably put some special weapons and/or heavy weapons in those infantry squads. or just special weapons if you plan on being mobile with them... also, add power weapons to the sgts, they're cheap and fairly effective. blob size wise, i feel that for cc purposes, usually you'll want at least 30 guys for them to chew through, as sometimes 20 seems to go a bit too quickly.

responding slightly in backwards order.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Neither blob will hold up to a Shooting + Charge of a 10-man Paladin squad, even at 30, even with cover. Average kills is something like 28 without Draigo in the mix or Dreadknight Heavy Incinerators thinning them out. They're not even really going to slow them down. Regular LRBTs are kindof pointless as well, since he'll get armor saves, but you can always use them as blockers - make sure the Demolishers aren't squadroned, they're more valuable, and combining the fire of the 2 LRBTs will help increase the odds of them causing a lucky kill on a valuable or unwounded model.

The rest of the list looks good, have the Vendettas knock out the Dread, then the DKs, focus everything else on the Paladins unless a DK is in the way.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I have to agree with Stradius that the naked infantry squads are not optimal. I would drop the two squads and both commissars to buy a scout sentinel, two chimeras and two lascannons.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast