PALADINS - Best way to run??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PALADINS - Best way to run???

hi guys,

looking to build a paladin squad and want to really go to town on the paint job/basing/mod front but before i throw myself to self inflicted flagellation i thought i would kick off a bit of a debate on what peoples opinions are on the best way to run your paladin squads?? apothecary in/out, 5man vs 10man, weapon load-out, etc

i'll kick start things with my current thinking

5 Man paladin squad:
    - Apothecary with halberd
    - MC psycannon and MC daemon hammer
    - MC psycannon and halberd
    - Justicar with halberd and SB
    - Halberd and SB

anyway have at it..........................

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Well, for starters, Paladins don't have Justicars, and while the Apothecary looks cool, he's a waste for a 10-man squad, let alone a 5-man squad. A Banner, similarly is only worth it on a 10-man squad that doesn't Combat Squad.

I always combat squad my 10-man squads anyway, so it's something like this
    Combat Squad/5-man Squad
    MC-Psycannon w/ Halberd
    MC-Psycannon w/ Falchion
    Falchion
    Halberd
    MC-Hammer

Halberds get those valuable I6 attacks, Falchions help fill out volume of attacks, and the Hammer helps with vehicles/MCs if you don't have a Librarian handy with Might of Titan. If you've got spare points, throw in Psybolt Ammo or more Master-Crafting
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

I would like to run a 10 man squad but this will be in 3k games so not any time soon. 10 men with a banner, 2 hammers, 4 psycannons and swords/halberds to fill the squad out. They would be about 700pts but it would be one hell of a target and I suspect quite fun to run. A Libby and a GKGM would also be healpful too

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    52 (x1)

Every1 loves Halberds so lets build a 5 man Halberd heavy wound allocating unit.

MC Hammer + MC Psycannon
    Halberd + MC Psycannon
    MC Halberd + MC Storm bolter
    MC Halberd
    Halberd

You can do this with any weapon even all hammers. Because every model technically has different equipment you can still play wound allocation games. For something like this i usually make a chart on the back of my army list so i know which level of equipment is being rolled for and has wounds.
    Last edited by Sykodmon; September 1st, 2011 at 14:16.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Cheapest is bestest. You need to squeeze points out so you can put them elsewhere. Here's how I'd do most 5-man units:

psycannon/halberd
    psycannon/sword or hammer
    hammer
    sword
    halberd

Total: 315 pts. It don't get cheaper than that, and it's got everything you could want in it.

For a 10-man unit ... actually, DON'T run 10-man units! Seriously, don't. There is no reason to. It's not like Draigowing will be giving away KPs that easily. You'll have something like 6, total. And you simply won't have the points to fill up your Troops slots and still have points to spare wishing you had more. Just take multiples of the 5-man unit, you can probably only afford 2 or 3 of them anyway before you realize that you need supporting elements. Like, transport capability, shooting that isn't totally dependent upon psycannons, etc.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if it is only one unit in your army then keep them cheap and keep them simple. halberds, swords, and hammer, always make the hammer MC, makes it so much more useful, and pyscannons if they are going to be walking (ie: no LR or SR). I would never take an apoc ever unless it was a greywing build and i had 75 pts left over on a 10 man squad i would be comfortable not combat squading. if you want a badass unit and aren't running an optimized list, then MCing all the CC weapons makes them a very good assault unit. I would however suggest a stave, yes its 20pts, yes most of the internet says its garbage, but that 2+ invul against an attack that could cause ID (Dreadnought, PF, etc.) to a paladin is really great, and its still a power weapon/force weapon.
    My Dice keep me in check

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys some good points allround including my justicar boob

here is what i feel brings some of the comments together so far

so 5man squads are in (apothecary a big NO NO), load out something like follows:

MC Hammer + MC Psycannon
    Halberd + MC Psycannon
    MC Halberd + Storm bolter
    Halberd + Storm bolter
    Sword/Stave + Storm bolter

so all in at 335pts or 355pts if you include a stave

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

Actually, number6, I would argue that you should always run a 10-man unit and combat squad rather than run two 5-man units. Why? Because Grand Strategy can then, if given to the Paladins, propogate down to the two units rather than having to be applied to both. Grand Strategy takes effect before deployment, while Combat Squads is at deployment, meaning that if you apply Grand Strategy to a 10-man unit, then combat squad, both 5-man units have the bonus. The same applies to Terminator units, or any other unit that you may or may not Combat Squad, assuming you don't need it to fill out the 2x Troop Choices.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Stradius, you assume that every army list must also include a GM (or GM equivalent).

This makes me very sad indeed.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

I never said that you need a GKGM. What I said was that there's no reason to run two 5-man units instead of one 10-man unit, especially if you have a GKGM - and most lists do - and with Paladins in particular, since they don't have a Justicar - and with GKTs, since their Justicar has no real bonuses unless you really want that hammer to be master-crafted.

More importantly, you were referencing Draigowing, which (obviously) has a Grand Master - in which case, as I said, there is exactly zero reasons to have 4 5-man Paladin Squads pre-deployment as opposed to 2 10-man squads, which then Combat Squad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast