Is This A Viable (and Effective) HQ Choice? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Is This A Viable (and Effective) HQ Choice?

So I am sure this question has been asked, possibly even word for word somewhere in the dusty stacks of this forum, but I am far too lazy to go searching for it, so I figure I'll just ask it again. I have been converting some old Cadian models, and I created a small unit as an HQ choice, and I was wondering if anyone knows or has used this setup, and if so, could they tell me about the success (or failures) with it. Here it is:

Company Commander with Bolt Pistol and CCW
    Vox-Caster
    3x Flamers
    Chimera (ML/HF)

I really like the look of this unit (the flamers are the Cadians with the two fuel tanks strapped to their backs), and I really would like to use it on the gaming table. Now keep in mind, I am not interested in changing any of it, I was just curious if it could get on the battlefield and survive.

Thank you for your time, comments and suggestions.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Why waste the BS4? Just use a PCS instead. It does the exact same thing for fewer points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Yeah, that is true...but other than that?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by 343rd Mordian View Post
    Company Commander with Bolt Pistol and CCW
    Vox-Caster
    3x Flamers
    Chimera (ML/HF)

I really like the look of this unit (the flamers are the Cadians with the two fuel tanks strapped to their backs), and I really would like to use it on the gaming table. Now keep in mind, I am not interested in changing any of it, I was just curious if it could get on the battlefield and survive.
    From a competitive standpoint, the flamers are better used in a PCS squad (as Hockeyman mentioned). With it's BS4, the CCS is better off with Meltas or Plasmas. Melta is the offensive choice, plasma is the defensive one.

Vox-casters are pretty marginal upgrades, even for static infantry gunlines. If you're going to take something other than another melta or plasma, I'd go with a Regimental Standard. It's nice to make sure you can pass LD tests when you bail out of your Chimeras during a battle.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Yeah I like the regimental standard, they do a nice job and look cool.

The flamer spam loadout does work nicely, especially against deepstrikers and the sods who like to assault your Chimeras.

The whole point is wound saturation though, dropping the 4th flamer (maybe take a heavy flamer?) in favour of the vox isn't a good idea. You want to deal as many wounds as possible before they start losing models - reducing the effectiveness of any more template weapons you have elsewhere.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

At least give the commander a powerfist. Flamer-spam squads are the infantry unit most likely to see close combat. I would even recommend a Commissar with powerfist alongside him except a summary execution would be really embarrassing.

Would your modeling wishes allow for using grenade launchers instead of flamers? FomT on frag grenades and BiD on kraks would let you get some use out of the officer's orders. You'd have to footslog them, though. Camo cloaks?

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm
    Vox-casters are pretty marginal upgrades, even for static infantry gunlines.
    A bit off-topic, but I've found at least one decent use for them: a bare PCS with vox. The unit won't kill any MEQs but using PCS orders on itself with the vox's rerolls makes it fast and survivable with decent firepower (remembering that the squad's cost is two Space Marines). I sometimes field this as a wild-card scoring unit when points get tight. If I feel lucky then the PCS can have a plasma pistol, too!

I'm usually not lucky. But sometimes.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

Shrug, most of the suggestions for the chimera-mounted ccs are fairly spot on.

As for that vox-caster's being marginal in infantry lists comment... audible sigh. Anyways I agree that one most likely isn't necessary in this particular set-up, as they probably aren't going to be casting orders most turns anyways. Unless the plan was to keep them near a good amount unmounted infantry boasting some heavy guns w/ good line of sight, but I'm guessing it probably isn't.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Certs View Post
    Unless the plan was to keep them near a good amount unmounted infantry boasting some heavy guns w/ good line of sight, but I'm guessing it probably isn't.
    Actually, it was. I was going to have numerous HWS within orders range of this unit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    169 (x4)

Still the same though, since the HWS can't take vox-casters to complete the call anyways, so the vox-caster still wouldn't be worthwhile. I Should've clarified, I meant unmounted infantry boasting some heavy guns and vox-casters also (usually something like mass 20-man blob squads kitted for gunline).

But as someone else pointed out, for a defensive CCS hanging back with HWS, plasma guns and a regimental standard are what I suggest as well then. The PCS that was bought with the HWS can get the flamers.

...A blog that's mostly about Infinity, but sometimes other stuff too.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Your comanders bolt pistol can be dropped as I find you end up paying 5 points for it as nearly everything else in the codex rounds to 5 point incraments. Still if you went for 7 ratlings then pistols for characters can fill in the gaps.

A standard is great if you use the CCS for morale and orders for some static infantry. If so then a Chimera and 3 plasma guns will get you decent firepower and still keep manouverability. I often use a CCS as a platoon babysitter while their PCS gets 4 flamers and goes off on their own on a suicide toasting mission in the back of a vendetta.

Vox casters should be taken if your army uses large infantry blobs a lot. If an order fails to a 10 man squad then no big deal. Buying 3-4 voxes for the CCS&PCS then another 10 for the squads soon mounts up. If the enemy sees you have paid 75 points on radios they just concentrate firepower on the CCS and the network falls apart. If however you blob platoons a lot you only need to buy a vox on one squad per blob so the total cost is more like 25-35 points. Big blobs using FRFSRF order can generate a lot of firepower and the cost of failing that leadership roll is high and well worth the spend on a few vox casters.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread