space wolves V grey knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

space wolves V grey knights

iam new to SW and atm iam trying to gather some ideas for when I face any army and i think that GK could be a bit tricky. So i would like to start a good discussion on how to win against GKs using SWs. Iam mainley after any neat tricks and anti-gk tactics. so here is what i have figured out so far:
    • SWs are normally very good at CC but against GKs and all those NFWs (especially the halberds with +2 initative) units like termies, wolf guard and blood claws would get destroyed even if they charge
    • and becasue of the instant death effect of the NWF units such as TWC and characters without eternal warrior would also get destroyed
    • so i think to win against GKs I would have to take lots of fire power and heavy armour coz of the lack of melta wepons and lascannons Gks get acess to, and character wise eternal warrior is a must so iam thinking really tough characters Grimnar or Bjorn
    these are just my thourghts and iam happy for more experinced players to correct my if iam wrong or to share there own anti-GK ideas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

A couple rune priests or Njal would be a good move for your HQ slots. With a good psychic defense GK's tend to be much tamer as they can't reliably get off psychic abilities.
    Mechanized armies like Razorspam tend to do quite well against pure GK armies as usually the only threats they need to worry about are the GK psyrifle dreads when it comes to shooting.

Wolf Guard Termies w/ storm shields can hold up quite well in assault against anything the GK's have to offer in assault. Bjorn or any dreadnought w/ a Plasma cannon can be quite nice and there's only a few things to worry about should the dreadnought ever get assaulted.

Depending on the route you want to go with your force the typical razorspam or loganwing army can work just fine against GK if you plan to tailor your list accordingly...
    Warhammer 40k: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Lizards (wolves), Kroot, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar
    Warhammer: Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Brettonians, High Elves, Skaven

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Yes as Duo_Sontata says 2 Rune Priests would be perfect and relatively cheap.
    Elites: Take Wolfguard in drop pods with combi plasmas to deal with grey knights or psyflemen.
    Troops: Standard GH units with plasma or melta and a wolfguard with PF+Combiweapon.
    Fast: Dont, TWC could be tooled up with lots of storm shields to preserve them but they cost a lot of points and still die to massed S5 stormbolt fire.
    Heavy: Take 5 ML longfang units to plink GKSS or kill psyflemen dreads.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Try something I've been advocating for a while: Lascannon Spam Long Fangs. Sure, it takes up a few extra points, but you increase your odds of destroying anything termie by like double, and it will Instant Death Paladins. Its better than Missiles for taking out those dreads, and It really doesn't take too much out of your army to do, with very little change in play style.
    Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

Long fang pack with 5 Missile Launchers: 140
    Long fang pack with 5 Lascannons: 215

That extra 75 points can add up fast, but it is all up to you. Both could be very effective, and one would have an area effect. Then again, with how few GKs are usually fielded, you might not need area effect.
    Applaud, my friend, the Comedy is finished.

Hive Fleet Charybdis (1-0-0) and Grey Brothers Space Wolf Chapter (3-1-2) [W-L-T]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

What about taking like 5 squads of 10 Gray Hunters in Pods with 2 flamers and a power weapon? I would think forcing them to take a ton of saves would work well as they die just as easy as your standard marine and if they charge you, you will have the same or even more attacks per model as they do. And with all the saves you make them take from shooting a squad of 10 should be down to around 5 so CC should not hurt as bad.

+ Reply to Thread