Blood Angels Noob needs advice on what NOT to take - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood Angels Noob needs advice on what NOT to take

Hi everyone,

I've just acquired a fairly substantial amount of 40k for a very cheap price on ebay, four and a half armies to be precise, and have decided to sell three of them (Orks, Tyranids and Imperial Guard) and just keep the Blood Angels and generic Space Marines. I play fantasy mostly and am new to 40k so I was hoping that if I post what I've acquired then some of the veterans on here can tell me what's complete chaff and what's playable. I'm not after army lists at this stage, just an idea of which miniatures I really don't need at all (and can therefore re-sell) and which ones have game value. If there is a consensus on certain units or vehicles being surplus to requirements then I will be open to offers for them (PM me). Basically I'm just trying to recoup my costs and get into 40k as cheaply as possible. Anyway, here we go:

Space marines - Blood angels

6x Terminators - Close combat
    6x Terminators
    2x Tactical squads - Full
    1x Assualt squad - Full
    1x Devastator squad - Full

Space Marines - Standard

2x Land raiders
    2x Whirlwinds
    2x Rhinos
    1x Predator
    1x Dreadnaught
    4x Bikes
    5x Terminators
    4x Tactical squads (40 marines)
    1x Techpriest engineer

I have no idea how any of the units or vehicles are equipped, but I'm pretty comfortable with conversions and I think I also have most of the spare parts from the kits, so I could re-equip things if necessary.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Right, IMO, immeadeatly usable in Blood Angels force are:

1xAssault Squad
    2xRhinos
    1xDreadnought
    1xPredator
    6xClose Combat Terminators

Stuff that you might also use:

2xWhirlwinds
    2xLand Raiders
    4xBikes
    1xTechpriest

Stuff that you probably never use:

11xNormal Terminators
    60xTactical marines
    10xDevastator marines

I'd say the first thing you need is get yourself a load of chainswords, bolt pistols and meltaguns and convert a bunch of those 70 Tactical and Devastator marines into more Assault marines. At this point test them in a list with both Rhino deployed and jump-packed to see which approach you like more. If you can't decide you can get extra jump packs and backbags and magnetize them to change around. In the end you might want to save one Tactical Squad and maybe the Devastators if you are gunning for a really big force, but typical Blood Angel lists use neither.

With Terminators I'd wait a bit. Test those 6 close-combat ones in a list and if you decide you like them, then you probably want more of them at some point and might use the 11 normal ones to convert. If you like terminators, you will probably also want a Land Raider or both at some point.

With Whirlwinds I would cut the main weapons off from the chassis (if they were glued in the first place) and get two spare Rhino top hatches. Then you can use the Whirlwinds as either Whirlwinds or Rhinos.
    Last edited by Polaria; September 27th, 2011 at 21:49.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've had a friend tell me that it would be unusual to use 2 Whirlwinds, but one is certainly an option. Should I sell one and convert the other to give me the Rhino option?
    How many of the tactical marines shall I ditch? Maybe keep hold of 20 to convert and sell the rest?

Thanks

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLordUK View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I've had a friend tell me that it would be unusual to use 2 Whirlwinds, but one is certainly an option. Should I sell one and convert the other to give me the Rhino option?
    How many of the tactical marines shall I ditch? Maybe keep hold of 20 to convert and sell the rest?

Thanks
    Depends on what your facing.I proxied a couple as fire support for my deathwing against an imperial guard blob list,using the incendiary missiles and as the canoness from dawn of war put it:I have yet to find a cinder not to be honest in its praise of the emperor.
    But i agree that in general 2 are not that useful.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Yep. Looks good to me.
    Hmmm.

You want Assault Marines. Blood Angel's main strength that makes them so damn lethal right now is their speed. Watch your opponent's face when you have 2 tanks and 20 assault marines bearing down on his deployment zone.

I'm no expert, so I'll leave the "what to sell" games up to pros. However, it my be in your interest to convert some of those tactical marines into Death Company, and the rest into Assault Marines. Use the army list section of this forum to see how many you could potentially need.

I know that you said that it's too premature to start with army lists, but that's the best way to assess what you need, or find out what you should keep, and what you should sell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK cool, I'll be in no hurry to sell the marines anyway. I should more than make my money back by selling the other three armies off and I do like conversions

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The Techmarine is the only thing you aren't likely to ever want. (Well, you aren't likely to need all six Tactical squads either.) The rest is more of a personal choice. Those shooty Terminators can be amazing if you add a Sanguinary Priest to them and a bike squad adds a nice amount of flexibility. (For example, turboboosting your bikers in front of your Assault Squads will give a cover save to everybody even though they aren't in terrain.)

Keep the Devastators too, at least for now. The most common newbie mistake with Blood Angels is neglecting ranged support for all those high-speed close combat units. A Devastator squad of, say, four missile launchers is reliable and cost-effective. Your call whether to go with them or a second Predator.

For inspiration, one of the nastiest combinations I've seen with BA is a squad of lightning-claw Terminators in a Land Raider, backed up with a Chaplain and Priest. That gives a charge with about 24 power weapon attacks, high initiative and strength, with rerolls to hit and wound. Quite a centerpiece!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

9. Thanksernic11 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just jump packs that differentiate assault marines? Or is their choice of weapons different to tactical marines too?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLordUK View Post
    Is it just jump packs that differentiate assault marines? Or is their choice of weapons different to tactical marines too?
    That would be check the codex entry.But they have differences in their equipment too.
    You can remove the jump packs that assault marines come stock with.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread