Sternguard: Rhino or Drop pod? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sternguard: Rhino or Drop pod?

Hey everyone,

As the title says what is the best transport method for Sternguard. I'm looking at running a 10 man squad with a few combi weapons in a 3k points list. Atm they're in a rhino and in a few games ive had very mixed results. First game the tank was dudded and they ended up getting terrible terrain rolls and charged by dark eldar blood brides. To their credit they won the fight over a few turns but they didnt get to shoot. Next game I got them into position and they did pretty well.

My list already has 3 units in pods and a heap of armour, i always find my deployment zone over crowded with tanks so another pod is attractive (that'll make 2 tac squads, iron clad dread and the sternguard to drop pod) as it gives me more flexibility when i deploy, what I bring in first turn and what i save for later. Draw back is I've seen how fast sternguard can be killed and without the rhino they're naked...

Any thoughts would be ace

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

I've seen around the forums this said and I (about 98%) stand by it. Either all or none. And by that I mean either all drop pods or none at all. I cannot really elaborate on this but just out of gameplay if I've ever had a pod or two with my rhino's it's just failed horribly. With Rhino's (for the most part) you can reliably transport your army, with drop pods you chance it, but with that chance list you tailor it so.
    Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Sternguard in my POV are designed to be deployed by pod.

Arm them with multy meltas a fist and drop them,side armor destroy some tanks and use the special issue to kill some infantry,if they survive that long.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The Drop Pod is usually the better choice. Guaranteed, safe delivery into rapid-fire range is hard to beat, not to mention your other reasons. Sternguard die quickly because they're a major threat, not because you're using them wrong (although careful Pod deployment can limit reprisals). Let them do their damage and take the punishment that would otherwise go into your scoring Tactical squads...you win twice.

Another tactic you could try is giving them no transport at all. Just hold them still in cover and shoot away...10 special-ammo shots is still enough to decimate many target types. They have enough base attacks to be decent counterchargers as well and, deployed this way, don't even need combiweapons. Cheap!
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Another tactic you could try is giving them no transport at all. Just hold them still in cover and shoot away...10 special-ammo shots is still enough to decimate many target types. They have enough base attacks to be decent counterchargers as well and, deployed this way, don't even need combiweapons. Cheap!
    Hadnt thought of that.I was using an assault squad for counter charges.For some reason i forgot they had more than a single attack...Well one more kick in the nuts for the assault squad...Sternguard for counter charges it is...Oh wait dont have the free slot to spare...Daaang!
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always drop pod my Sternguard - your opponent will generally prioritise killing them regardless, so to get maximum effect I like to place them exactly where they need to be on turn one and open fire. Put five combi-meltas into one combat squad, pop a critical transport or heavy support, and then the other combat squad follows through with special ammunition or other weaponry (it's nice to inclde a heavy flamer in the squad). Send them in with a Librarian forNull Zone or other psyker support and they're a nasty alpha strike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that sounds pretty ace actually, I've decided to drop pod them for the above reasons but there r some very interesting options to consider. Thanks all!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

For me this is easy. Put them in a drop pod with everyone of them having combi's
    First turn it comes down and you have 2 dead tanks - Usually these will easily be worth the 300 point price tag of the sternguards or even more.
    The joy of this is that your enemy now focuses a lot of their firepower on them and it helps keep the rest of your army alive for the first turn.

In 1.5K games I would run 6 combi meltas, heavy flamer and 3 combi flamers.
    That way I can split the meltas to target 2 tanks and have a very good change of doing damage or I can put 5 meltas on a tank and the HF, 3x combi flamer and a combi melta on infantry (they will rip genestealers apart)

With my style of play your sterns should be dead the turn after they arrive but they have killed more than their points worth and kept a lot of my army safe for the next turn.

Also note that you should try to put a 5th drop pod so you can drop 3 of them on turn one (this could be buying one for a dread as you dont need to deploy the dread in it and you either bring it down later on their objective to contest or bring it down first turn if you wanna keep your other units in reserve for some reason i.e enemy not deploying)
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

+ Reply to Thread