Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'd like to know :
1. Can it be used to remove the librarian and its squad out of close combat?
2. Can it be used in conjunction with a locator beacon, therefore assuring no models will be lost to the warp due to the ''no scatter'' thing?
1) I can't find anything that prohibits this at this point, so I would say yes. (if someone disagrees please let me know where I can find the answer.)
2) No. A Locator Beacon is used for units that are entering play via Deep Striking. Gate of Infinity may use the same rules as Deep Striking but they are not the same thing.
2) "If a unit wishes to arrive on the battlefield via deep strike..." I'm ambivalent on this. I see where you get your idea with "wishe to arrive", but it is too vague to say that only reserves can use this rule. And GoI says "immediately placed back [...] using the deep strike rules". It seems the librarian is 'entering play' again via deep striking because it was previously "removed from the tabletop".
One could argue that the "fluff" states that it is used to coordinate arrivals from the strike cruisers (teleport homer entry), but the FAQ even said that a PA veteran could carry a thunder hammer, a storm shield, and even a plasma gun at the same time. So I'm trying to interpret the rules as much as how its written.
But then, I'm just playing the devil's advocate...
On the same page, could this also work for teleport homer if the librarian is in terminator armor?
Teleport homer definately won't work as gate if infinity is not teleportation. Just because you are in termie armour doesn't mean that any deepstrike you do is teleporting for example deepstriking out of a moving thunderhawk.
Homing beacons however work on all forms of deepstrike such as teleporting, landspeeder deepstrike, assault marine deepstrike via jump pack. So I would say Gate of Infinity would work with a homing beacon.
Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.
The issue is that he is not really Deep Striking, he is using GoI that happens to use the same rules as Deep Striking. I have seen this issue on other forums as well and they all point to this same fact that GoI is not a Deep Strike, it just works in the same manner so they don't have to write duplicate rules for it.
I agree with Dracus, using the rules for transportation via deep strike doesnt mean a teleport homer doesnt make you scatter, it would also be at bit OP in my oppinion. Never also really thought to get them out of combat with this power, even though i also run a librarian in terminator armour. Null zone(because it kills all the nifty invunrable saves my terminator body guard gets fed up with) and the portal of doom S 10 template is how i roll, its just awesome how you can cast that final power while being relentless in your terminator armour!