Librarium Online Forums banner

Necrons so far look tough

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  pilot00 
#1 ·
As the author is now officially Matt Ward, we should expect this, but as it is a shooty army, we do have a chance. I'll start off with the HQ which will be in a comment i make as this new advanced topic system text box thing is just horrific.

#2 ·
HQ - I won't do the stormlord or trazyn as i don't have their special rules yet so i cannot make assumptions on nothing

Overlord

Pretty much the same as the old Lord, can't remember if lords had WS5 BS5 or not but these guys are one down there, have a 3+ save with the ability to have a 2+ save and a 3++ save and some other nifty equipment like the tachyon arrow which is a hunter killer but S10 AP1 with infinite range so be careful their. Treat them like a termie captain with a stormshield and a one shot railgun i say. Nothing to special but can still become T6 destroyer lords so that could be an issue

Necron lord

Now demoted to being in essence a commisar, a normal commisar, these guys take no roll in Force Org, they form a council and can split into lots of smaller units, but they can join together to form a royal court like honour guard, becoming some power house squad as they have similar wargear to that of an overlord but starting points are that of a commisar. 1 wound though means they are easier to kill but be wary again

Cryptek

These are in essence the psykers of the necron army, capable of changing the game around them and boosting stats of smaller units, they are like Necron Lords in the way they are organised but can take alot more options and can chose one of 5 harbingers to become, as a royal court consists of up to 5 models they could have every ability at their disposal.

Elites

C'tan shards

They are back and this time once again, our lasguns are useless. literally. Their statline is amazing for an elite unit, their S/T7 and 4 wounds, 4++ save A4, their tough and they can now have 3 of these. their abilities are similar to that of the nightbringer and deciever but they can now mix and match 2 per c'tan. I'm worried about these guys as they can have so many but i'd assume they will cost a bomb. Just don't field blobs against these guys and you should be fine.

Deathmarks

These guys are their new snipers who can come in the same turn as a unit from YOUR army that has just arrived from reserve as well, not to bad for reliable reserve rolls and they get to choose one unit they seem to hate, they then get to wound on a roll of 2+ afterwards, amazing against MC but meh against guard as it's usually a 3+ anyway. they're also range 24" snipers but their also rapid fire, slightly odd but awesome as well

Flayed ones

No different really, still amazingly large amount of assaults for one unit but their still weak, being I2 they we go first in assault! :D

Necron lychguard

Heavy assault units, very heavy, stats of a normal overlord but you can have a tonne, swapping out their warscythe (S7 in any assault!) for tesla pistols and dispution shields (4++ save) make them very durable to fire. Still only I2 xD

Necron Triarch Praetorians

What? Necron jump infantry? Noooo you must be wrong? no its set in stone (or paper nowadays), these guys are the shooty version of Lychguard, same stat line just with S5 AP2 assault weapons (very short range!) which are power weapons in assault, i say don't underestimate them if your a space marine, AP2 isn't any different to AP4 to us really.

Troops

Necron warriors

They've been nerfed. heavily. They have only got a 4+ save now, don't always wound on a roll of 6+ anymore and only get up on a 5+ now and if the entire unit is down, they can't get up at all. even with a necron lord (Who allows you to get up regardless of how far away you are (have to be in coherency now) BUT, they are only 12pts a model now and as they still glance on a roll of 6 (with gauss rule) they are more a problem to us than any other army

Necron Immortals

Finally a change in their troop organisation. Exact same stats as warriors but with a 3+ save and their old points cost (maybe 20pts cant remember) but with better guns. Much better guns, Gauss flayer is still pretty good and the tesla gets double hits on a to hit roll of 6 and with rapid fire this could be a problem. I imagine more necron players taking these in large numbers like we would take HWS if they weren't in platoons all the time.

Dedicated transports

Ghost ark

This is the first of the new vehicles, an open topped, AV11 transport? hello autocannons, but wait, it has a rule which means for every unsuccessful damage roll, it gains an AV of 1 for each side, by up to 2 AV points, this means it can be AV13 on every side. That is insane imo, you need to take it out, and fast, dedicated to only warriors as i can see. but they can shoot out either side, no foward shooting points even though its open-topped. it can also repair warriors D3 a turn, this looks like their medic vehicle and will tempt necrons into taking warriors of immortals, expect many of these in one army. It also has living metal, this has been nerfed quite a bit, it ignores a shaken result on a 2+, and a stunned on a 4+, thats it. Get your melta ready boys!

Command barge

This is basically a chariot transport with same rules and AV as a ghost ark, dedicated to the necron overlord and no one else, it allows him alone to shoot out of it and assault whilst in his vehicle, very fast, very versatile but looks like a gimic to me, i wouldn't expect many to be bought except for fluff reasons unless it is dead cheap or it has amazing special rules

Fast attack

Destroyers and heavy destroyers are the exact same as before. no difference i can see.

Heavy support

Annihilation barge

Its sounds dasty and is nasty, a weapon that shoots at a target once, and any model within 6" of its blast (S7 AP2 blast) suffers a lightning strike like a tesla pistol (S4 AP-) so it could be nasty for us guard and our ranks

Doomsday barge

a HUGE gun, its the ghost ark but no infantry transport, has same rules and stats as ghost barge and is THE largest gun in the standard game, a S9 AP1 Large blast weapon that has the range of a railgun, this will decimate tanks, decimate infantry, decimate anything that is under the template. The name is a very good description of the weapon. destroy it quite and efficiently, it will only get harder.

Monolith

Its still here, its still big and its probably even worse, the living metal rule is gone, but you can't get within 6" of its door without getting sucked into the necron phase world on something like a 3+ and INSTANTLY removed, its like a vortex missle but larger and constant, its meant to keep melta out, best weapon of any army by far to do any damage is the vanquisher if it hits, then melta if you survive, then Demo cannon, moved down a bit from best. Its only 200pts now, meaning more points elsewhere.

This is only based upon what is on the advanced orders, whatever is in the book could be more menacing and from the rumours of the special characters, they sound really mean and like space wolves, you can have more than 2 HQ's.

#3 ·
1st off, "Tesla" weaponry is such a stupid name for 40k. It's like calling them Edison guns or an Einstein rays.

Anyway the take homes for me:
AP4 is good now
Melta now works against Monoliths.
Their skimmers are AV11. Dakka Dakka hahaha.

I'm excited that they seem like a viable race now but I think we have the tools to fight them just fine.

#5 ·
Their skimmers are AV11. Dakka Dakka hahaha.
Just make sure you penetrate first time round as it will quickly become AV13 everywhere :S

also i heard a rumour about scarab swarms, they cost quite alot, but they sacrifice themselves to remove AV points from ALL sides of a vehicle per scarab, so our russ's are in trouble

#4 ·
If the Res Orb is gone then it can't be too bad. Man, I hated that thing.

We'll see who's really getting the ******** in a blob vs T7 matchup. Forget Monolith doors; my Commissars have been sucking upstart enemies into oblivion for over a year now.

But, yeah, they just sound like Space Marines with long-range assault guns instead of bolters and bikes. We'll see a few tricks and (with Matt Ward) some ridiculous fluff, but it won't be anything a few battle cannons can't sort out. Probably.

Reactions: DFA 2008
#6 ·
Lascannons should be fine, even autocannons have a good chance of killing it due to it being open topped.

I really despise the mechanic though. The way it is now means 'cron player will have very volatile results. Some games his transports will crumple like wet rags and other times when they soak up ridiculous firepower. Vehicle survivablity is already screwey and this just makes it worse.

I wish it was the other way around, AV13 at the outset but each successful glance or pen drops the AV by 1.

Any idea how simultaneous hits work? Also, does it last the whole game or is it just for that shooting phase? For example, if it's all together a Hydra would wreck one of these things but if I have to roll for each hit one by one then it makes my shooting pretty tedious and ROF based anti-vehicle fire is quite a lot worse.

#8 · (Edited)
edit: did a proper unit review further down the thread...

all in all, from the sounds of it, there's a lot of neat special abilities from each unit, and some of it does sound seriously painful, but i'm sure after a week or two to adjust; it'll be back to business as usual with IG, with maybe just a few list changes to anticipate some of the craziness crons might throw our way.

#9 ·
Hmm... attack, adapt, overcome. Sounds wonderful =D That could make for interesting campaign setup. A couple massive conscript squads to get mowed down in a massive offensive, the IG battlegroup is then pushed back to a contingency rally point, they learn to combat their foes new powers, and fight a pitched battle because now they are somewhat evenly matched. Hmmm....

#11 · (Edited)
alright, finally got my hands on a codex. working through down the list real quick as to what'll probably effect us the most about most of their units.

Special Rules
Reanimation Protocol (We'll Be Back) - a 5+ at the end of each phase... but if the unit falls back, the fallen don't WBB and are destroyed.

Quantum Shielding - front/sides count as av13 (+2av of normal armor 11 in most instances) until a penetrating hit is scored. Just about everything except for the monolith and 2 flyers have this.

HQ
Overlords/Lords/Destroyer Lords - Tachyon Arrow upgrade, one-use s10 ap1 infinite range, and the 4+ wbb res orb. unit option to form a unit made up of lords/crypteks, otherwise ICs that can join other units. Warscythes, adds +2str, 2d6 on armor pen, and no armor saves.

Crypteks... a 2-page spread of options, separated into categories which can't mix and match - notable ones: Eldritch Lance, 36" s8 assault weapon with Solar Pulse, negates nightfighting for the turn or causes nightfighting for the turn. Voltaire Staff, a 12" gun with haywire. Harp of Dissonance, infinite ranged entropic strike gun (Entropic Strike, important half of it, vehicles hit by it lose 1av on all facings on a 4+).

Stormlord - seizes initiative on a 4+. 1st turn is auto-nightfighting regardless of set-up and can attempt to keep it in play for longer. Unengaged enemy units suffer d6 s8 hits (side armor for vehicles) while nightfighting is in effect (though nightfighting caused by solar pulse does not cause this). allows flayed ones to DS within 6" of a nominated enemy unit without scattering.

The Diviner - all enemy units count as moving in difficult terrain on turn 1, and can reroll all unsuccessful reserve rolls for one turn.

The Infinite - if he kills a model in combat, all models using the same stat entry in that combat suffer a wound as well on a 4+ (armor saves allowed). Can hold objectives despite not being a Troops unit. If he dies, on a 2+ he reincarnates from a non-special lord/overlord/cryptek/lychguard on the table.

Nemesor - when one enemy unit arrives from reserves, all 'cron reserves automatically arrive. Vangard - his veil can pull units out of combat, and won't scatter back in if within 6" of Nemesor.

The Traveller - can possess an enemy vehicle within 18" during his shooting phase and fire its weapons, cannot alter facing but counts as having not moved, ignores shaken/stun results. Can equate to awesomeness in apoc games involving super-heavies.

Command Barges - fast dedicated transport. Has a sweeping attack. Can hit 3 units per turn by moving over them, hits on 3+ at combat speed, otherwise 4+ up to flat out regardless of enemy vehicle's prior movement, combine with an embarked overlord w/ warscythe for s7+2d6 against rear armor of 3 vehicles it passes over.

Elites
Lychguard - warscythes or power weapon and a 4+ invuln which can reflect the shot at an unengaged unit within 6", though blast/templates can't be deflected.

Deathmarks - rapid fire sniper rifles, which wound a nominated unit on a 2+. They can also deep strike in during the enemy turn when any enemy unit arrives from reserves... that's meh, since they can be shot at and/or assaulted, that ability most likely won't be used.

Praetorians - cc-jump infantry, fearless. option for to exchange their rod weapons for s6 pistols w/ ccw that rends and has entropic strike.

Triarch Stalkers (their pic looks badass) - open-topped av11 walker, with a gun that can fire as either a heavy 2 multimelta or heavy flamer, all 'crons that shoot at whatever it hits count as twin-linked weapons.

C'tan Shards - MCs that explode s4 ap1 d6" when they die, 2 upgrades per Shard and each can only be taken by one shard. Notable ones are a 24" lascannon shot, a s3 large blast placed over himself in CC, and lastly one that makes all difficult terrain count as dangerous for the enemy as well as already dangerous terrain tests fail on a 2 as well while the Shard is on the table. Oh also, there's also Lord of Fire which makes all weapons within 12" of the Shard which use fire/flame or have the melta type roll a d6 when they're going to fire, on a 1 the user/weapon is destroyed and the shot wasted.

Troops
Immortals - Troops, tesla gun option which inflicts 2 additional hits for each roll of 6 to hit.

Ghost Arks - warrior transports, can be taken even if the unit has more warriors than it can carry.each ark can repair d3 warriors per turn of a unit within 6". multiple arks can perform repairs on the same unit, but the unit can't exceed its starting size.

Fast Attack
Destroyers - squad of 5, 3 can upgrade to heavies giving them ablative wounds. They have Preferred Enemy(everything) which would be twin-linking... but I believe BRB-wise, preferred enemy only affects assaults, so unsure if that's just an error to be FAQ'd for their codex; though it still works for their melee-Destroyer Lords.

Canoptek Wraiths - rending, fearless, jump infantry, with an upgrade to reduce enemy's in contact with it to initiative 1, we're used to striking last most of the time, but that'll make DE cry.

Canoptek Scarabs - the usual swarm deal, but these come with Entropic Strikes base, making them good at swarming tanks and weakening them for other units in the army... they are hilarious against superheavies and titans in apoc.

Heavy Support
Canoptek Spyders - Can add a scarab base to a swarm within 6" on a 2+. 2 upgrades available: nullify psyker powers targetting units within 3" of them on a 4+ . can repair vehicles on a 4+ in the shooting phase.

Monolith - the portal of exile doesn't matter much due to being d6" range and it can only move 6" a turn. The Dimensional corridor is the thing to watch out for. at the start of their turn, they can auto-teleport in one unit on the table or in reserve (even on turn 1 or if they're not available reserve roll-wise). Doesn't give them the old additional WBB roll, but is their only non-SC that can pull units out of combat.

Doomsday Ark - stationary s9 ap1 large blast.

Annihilation Barge - tesla cannon and tl tesla destructor. destructor hits target unit at s7, on a roll of 6 for each unit within 6" of target that unit takes d6 s5 hits.

Doomscythe - Deathray, s10 ap1, nominate a point, roll 3d6", choose a second point within that range, all models under a line between those two points is hit. Short ranged gun, but their ability to deep strike in and be able to fire all weapons while moving at cruising speed helps make up for it.

Skipped some of the units that didn't seem like they had any particular deadly trick against us (ex. tomb blades and warriors)

Haven't gotten around to playing with army lists yet but there seems to be a lot of cool synergy-esque ways to combine the special abilities for some devastating effects.

#12 ·
I do not like the look of that rule The Infinite has about being able to inflict a wound on (around) half the guys in the unit with the same stat as the guy he killed. That could seriously mess up an infantry blob, not to mention gaunts and ork boyz. Hes the 'cron equivilant of Crowe! And why oh why is he a scoring unit?

Other than that at first glance it looks like an interesting codex. Sure its got some nasty tricks but a lot of the old firepower absorbtion has gone, so its fairly balanced. It should certainly be a lot more interesting to play than the old two monoliths, 2 lords with res orb, 10 destroyers and around 50 necron warriors we used to see all the time.

#13 ·
I really like their unique mechanics and I really despise their copied ones.

Stormlord - seizes initiative on a 4+ - way to make both him and Vect a little bit less unique.
The Infinite - A purifier by another name, again it just feels reused.

The quantum shielding sounds really interesting though, I like the sound of that mechanic a great deal.
The other reserve manipulation sound pretty different too, I like the idea of nominating a reserved unit and having your own troops arrive at the same time, that's nice.

#14 · (Edited)
a decent amount of the buzz around the 'cron forums on...

Command Barge w/ Warscythe Overlord - it is a vehicle wrecker, moving flat out at 24" 3 different targets hit on a 4+ with a s7+2d6 attack can be brutal...

...but it'll probably end its turn near your units making it easily killable afterwards via meltaguns, plus it's open-topped so anything penetrating their shields will due. And the repair function on it won't save it from being wrecked or exploded.

Mindshackle Scarabs on Overlords/Destroyer Lords - let's them coerce someone in base contact during cc to hit their own unit on a failed 3d6 leadership test.

It's great against hidden pfists and just about every cc-oriented hero... but it doesn't really affect IG much if at all, unless you're trying to take out the Overlord w/ Straken.

Canoptek Wraiths and Destroyer Lord - given whip coils and paired with a Destroyer Lord w/ warscythe, makes for a nasty cc-unit, with their rend attack and a warscythe on the Lord, watch out for them trying to hunt IG vehicles.

While the Wraiths have an invuln save, a Destroyer Lord doesn't and both their abilities require base contact, allowing blob squads to keep their power weapons in the second row, and then direct them all at the Lord at i3, hopefully whittling down his wounds on 6s to wound, while the rest of the boys try to absorb the 3(4) attacks per wraith/lord meanwhile.

Canoptek Scarabs - this option and the above seem like the current must-have trend at least until more of the new units that dont have models have been tested out a little more. While they're not particularly fast as before, they're dirt cheap compared to other cron units and can pack a lot of Entropic Attacks if they reach a vehicle.

Some talk about pairing them with also cheap Annihilation Barges, multi-charging a group of vehicles with the scarabs, and then using the barges on later turns in an attempt to mass-shock the vehicles. Most IG players taking heavy flamers on their vehicles already anyways should help nixx these scarab swarms fairly easily before they do too much damage.

C'tan Shards - not many people buying into the new elite infantry units and the triarch stalker is a little pricey for having only one gun on it (once that's destroyed, their special ability can't be used either). But a lot of buzz on all the various shard abilities. t7 means non-pfisted guardsmen aren't going to hurt it, while Gaze of Death pie plates will wreck them. Thunderbolt is also decent, allowing them to lascannon a transport before charging the troops inside.

There's also, Sentient Singularity can be avoided by just not driving within 6" of it. But Writhing Worldscape is tablewide and can irritate infantry squads trying to move through cover or vehicles going over terrain. Avoid moving through terrain or just stay static and shoot while in it, and it's ignorable.

Stat-wise, they're basically slightly tougher Daemon Princes who don't have an option for wings, and the size of their current models makes them as hard to hide as a Dreadknight so shouldn't be too difficult to destroy them before they get too close.

Immortals and Lords/Crypteks - people are missing their 3+ save, and the better guns are a plus as well. I think the gauss blasters are preferred over the tesla weapon due to the ap value and use against vehicles. And then expect to see either a Cryptek or Lord with them for either the Res Orb or the various cryptek powers (i think solar pulse looks like a favvie).

Shrug, shooting at them is just like shooting at marines, use the usual mass firepower or pie plates; and to counter Res Orb and reanimation protocols, you could just take Sanctioned Psykers and force their unit to run away, leaving the wounded behind, the same goes for any of their infantry.
--------

...if those end up being the lasting trend, then the usual, heavy weapons and pie plates should be enough to deal with 'crons, autocannons are little less effective due to av13 quantum shielding but meltaguns still work just fine for the most part (though may malfunction if a Lord of Fire Shard is nearby). Blob squads aren't even bad either provided you avoid fighting any Shards in cc, even lasguns in general aren't bad despite all the t4 or 5 on their squads because for the most part, most of them are still a 3+ save and things like the wraiths and lychguard/praetorians cost as much as terminators.

Most of their elite high str/low ap weaponry is wasted on guardsmen in cover, and most of their anti-tank options require getting relatively close, so overall if you can keep them at range, shouldn't be too hard to put them down. They still have heavy destroyers, but are a bit pricey and compete for slots against scarabs and wraiths.

haven't read much about their special characters, but I will say one thing about them, I love their range of abilities and there's no 'makes X count as troops'.

#15 · (Edited)
I finally got hold of the codex. Grand Illusion was changed to just be Lady Malys' "Precognisant" ability with another name. Apart from some of the ridiculous fluff and this pointless ability-cloning I quite like the book overall.

I think outflanking sentinels and chimeras will be very powerful, especially against mech builds because the quantum shielding doesn't work on the rear armour and AV11 open topped vehicles are such multilaser/autocannon bait.

edit: reading about the command barge, the 3 special sweep attacks are only possible against a single unit. It's still pretty murderous to vehicles but it's maybe not as bad as it seems. Remember they can't end their movement within 1 inch of your units so a chequerboard deployment can reduce his freedom a great deal. The interesting bit is on a to-hit roll of 6 the necron player can decide wound-allocation, rather than the owning player. That'd be nice for picking out support units like apothecaries.

#16 ·
So just played my first game vs. the Necrons in vassal at 1750, and lost, but it was a new list I was playing, so still need some kinks worked out.
We played Capture and Control on DoW, and my opponent won the roll-off and had me go first to lose a round of shooting.

My opponent brought:
Imotekh the Stormlord w/command barge
Royal court - 3 (over?)lords w/res orb, 1 for each Immo squad

3 immortals all tesla weps

3 night scythes

2 doom scythes
1 annihilation barge

I brought:
Creed CCS w/cloaks+2Bodyguards, ML, Standard
Plasma CCS w/chimera

Melta PCS w/chimera
Commie Blob w/3 lascannons
1 HWS-LC
1 HWS-ML
1 HWS-AC

Melta Vets w/chimera

Vendetta
Devil Dog

LRBT HB sponsons
LR Demolisher

So they're pretty shooty, and the sooner you learn all their new rules, the better off you'll be.

It was an EPIC game! I destroyed/immobilized ALL of his vehicles, AV 11 isn't too tough, just gotta keep it FAR AWAY. Bringin' back the Lascannons for that AV13 worked great. Unfortunately, IG side armor is very vulnerable to Twin-Linked S7 mounted on skimmers and S8 Lightning from Imotekh, HELL, even S5 Tesla was giving me problems vs AV10 side armor. He assaulted my whittled down blob turn 3, they stuck in until turn 4 only 2 sarges were left, and they TIED COMBAT WITH AN ENTIRE SQUAD OF IMMORTALS AND AN OVERLORD(then died his turn 4 assault). He shot the crap out of Creed's squad for a couple turns, until turn 5 only Creed is left, who CHARGES THE IMMORTAL SQUAD+OVERLORD BY HIMSELF, pulls them off of an objective, and THEN LIVES THROUGH THE ASSAULT. Unfortunately, my Devil dog immobilized itself and couldn't tank shock his Immo's, who came in from reserve, off his objective turn 5, and his Tesla weps got a bunch of pens/glances through on my melta vet chimera side armor, so I couldn't get to his objective, and since I had first turn, Creed bit it his turn 5, and my vet chimera was immobilized a few inches from his objective. It went to turn 6, but I was done by then, neither of us had any vehicles left, and he was in assault range of everything so there was nothing I could do with Warscythes running around wrecking everything.

Overall, he pretty much was able to execute a great strategy vs. me, while I was slightly thrown off after he destroyed 3/7 of my vehicles turn 1.(I was able to take out 2 or 3 of his turn 1 too, thank yoouuu AV11 :D )

Tips So Far:

A.) POP SMOKE TURN 1 !!!!!(and whenever stormlord lightning is still in effect) Imotekh's lightning attacks for Night Fight hitting side armor on vehicles w/S8 can be pretty devestating. I lost my vendetta(even w/turboboost save), my LRBT, and the CCS Chimera on turn 1.
B.) Kill DOOM Scythes - Death Ray is brutal vs vehicles, since it can move 12", shoot 12"+3D6" in a straight line, that's an effective threat range of 27-42", it's like a flying Demolisher, luckily I took them both out turn 2, thanks to searchlights+Creed+HWS
C.) I Outflanked the Melta Vets to go for his objective and this worked great vs. the rear armor of the annihilation barge and Doom Scythes, except that he left 1 squad of Immo's in their night scythe which I proceeded to melta and destroy......then the Immos go back in reserve instead of bailing out.....and then they came back on turn 4 to get his objective.
D.) Tesla is pretty good anti-infantry - Each time he shot, he was pretty much able to double his wounds because of the extra shots gained, lucky I had a bunch of guardsmen to soak it up, but all the wounds added up, and I didn't have enough left for a great tarpit.
E.) MELTAS - worked great, blew up a Night Scythe, a Command Barge, and a Doom Scythe, so glad 2D6 is back vs 'crons.
F.) Heavy weapons(AC/LC/ML) are still king versus all his AV11(most people have more Autocannons than I do, but I was limiting this list to models I have IRL)
G.) Night Fight was in effect turn 1&2, but since I had searchlights, I was able to light up his vehicles, and NF actually worked AGAINST him a couple times when his scythes couldn't see.

#17 ·
Wow, I can't believe he didn't take any solar pulse crypteks. That way he could shoot at least in his turn, and night fighting would still be in effect in yors

#20 ·
If he uses the Solar Pulse in his turn, the lightning strikes for the the Lord of the Storm rule don't work. Honestly I don't really see the use of Imotekh as he isn't that good at shooting or CC and his special rules encourage sitting at range.....where you also suffer from night-fighting and if you use solar pulse the lightning strikes are wasted.......so then close-range units are probably better used.....which makes night-fight pointless except for the lightning strikes.

For 10 points more than him they can get an Overlord on a Command Barge/w warscythe AND a solar pulse cryptek......which end up just being more effective that Imotekh.

So many people going ZOMG he's awesome. My thought is "Why the hell would you want to take him?"

#19 ·
Night fighting for half the game is big. They can neutralise our long ranged units without having to kill them. There's also the "nuclear option" of deepstriking in a doomscythe and melting a big line of tanks. Yes it's not too hard to spread out but being able to force that kind of move is really good.

#21 ·
You mean asside from the staff of the destroyer,bloodscarabs,hyperlogical strategy,a ton of wargear and the potential of d6 str8 hits on every enemy unit at the table?
Thats why i think they will take him.At least until the hype dies and we see more serious lists.But i believe for his points costs he is more than decent.

#23 ·
You mean asside from the staff of the destroyer
Meh. If you're that close to the enemy something has either gone very, very wrong or very, very right.

bloodscarabs
People use flayers?

hyperlogical strategy
A very nice ability indeed. 66% chance to go first isn't too shabby.

a ton of wargear
Flame Gauntlet is meh. But the 2+,3++ with the RP is nice. He's very survivable, but won't dish out much damage himself.

and the potential of d6 str8 hits on every enemy unit at the table?
Is also very good, but even realistically you're only hitting maybe 2 (3 or 4 on very good rolls) units a turn. But then the rest of your army is affected by night-fight as well. If you us a solar pulse then the lightning strikes don't even happen.

One broken HQ shouldn't be too bad.
He's not broken at all. He's good, but not OP and the lists that work well with him are very niche. Honestly I'd take The Traveler over The Stormlord most days.

#22 ·
He does sound like an ideal counter to mechanized armies. Starting a game by putting the equivalent of several dozen krak missiles into the side armors of an entire Razorback/Chimera list is paradigm-changing, unless there are mitigating details I haven't heard of yet. Ah, well. One broken HQ shouldn't be too bad.

#25 ·
Yeah, considering that the lightning from Imotekh's night-fight only hit units on a 6 then its not nearly as bad as you would think. I think that Canoptek Wraiths and Scarabs will be a big problem for us. 4 Str 6 rending attacks will hurt all rear armour, especially when it's been dropped to AV7 or so. I think that the C'tan will also be problems, especially is they shield them with 'Liths. Those things may be the best damn tanks for hiding troops in the game, and if you can use the cryptek's solar pulse on the opponent's turn then they'll have an even greater advantage.

#26 ·
He also can carry on the night fight with a d6 roll and along as the roll is higher than the turn, night fight continues. also any enemy units not engaged take a S8 AP 5 hit. He probably a high priority target for me. deep strike, unit probably will not survive 1 round but would be awesome if they can at least take him out of play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.