What is he for? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is he for?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

What is he for?

So I keep realizing there are units I don't really ever use in the C: SM and I just want to broaden my horizon a bit. What exactly is an Ironclad Dreadnought for? I feel that from what I remember you'd want to drop pod 'em in near enemy lines and smash into battle. Is that simply what they do? And what gear is usually place on them, 2 HFs?

Any ideas from players who've used, or played against, Ironclad would be awesome! Thanks.

Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

The majestic Ironclad can fill many roles in your army. The most popular role is disruption. Drop 2 of these bad boys on your enemy turn one and watch in chagrin as he destroys without mercy. Two main ways to do this, the first being anti-mech (Note that even though he is set up for killing tanks, he is still a tough nut to crack in CC) The General setup used in this role is Melta Guns, Hunter Killers and a pod. Drop him on the side of a tank and fire your Melta's/Hunter Killers and watch it burn. With armor 13 he is going to be hard for most weapons to hurt (Except the ever prevalent Melta) so he has a decent chance of survival, but only if Melta Weaponry is lacking. The Second Setup is a more Anti Infantry role. Gear him up with Flamers and a pod and watch as your new scorched earth policy comes in effect.

A thing to remember about the dreadnought, more specifically the Ironclad, is he will be good for tying up a squad, and with armor 13, Power Fists shouldn't give you to much bother.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Duely noted about tying up combats.

How about the actual dreadnought weapons then, such as fists and such. I know they have a unique array of cc weapons to pick from, what do most choose from there?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Emysk View Post
    Duely noted about tying up combats.

How about the actual dreadnought weapons then, such as fists and such. I know they have a unique array of cc weapons to pick from, what do most choose from there?
    Popular now are the Rifleman (2xTLAC) and Rainman (TLAC, AC). MM/HF is big, especially with Vulcan players.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by watchwood View Post
    Popular now are the Rifleman (2xTLAC) and Rainman (TLAC, AC). MM/HF is big, especially with Vulcan players.
    Sorry, I meant on Ironclads*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run mine with the cc weapon/heavy flamer and the siesmic hammer/melta and everything else you'd normally give him and pod him in behind enemy lines. Ive had some good luck taking out some important tanks on turn one several times with it, its more often than not going to cop every piece of anti-tank shooting your enemy can hit it with and die very soon after but thats less at other targets and if its taken out something important then its done its job. On a few ocassions it's survived that and gone on to hold up Incubi, Blood Brides and a few other units in combat for a few turns, quite a useful unit IMO; I also really love the model

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good thing about the ironclad is that power fists and the like only glance them on a 5+. Drop Pods are a must with these guys. Switch out the storm bolter with a heavy flamer for some anti-infantry goodness. The biggest value I see from them is using them to tie up large squad which can only field 1 power fist, such as ork boys squads and black templar crusader squads. The choice between the seismic hammer and the chain fist is purely preference. Seeing how armor and close combat works in 5th ed, the chainfist is a bit much, but if you think your opponent will be bringing land raiders or monoliths, a chain fist will be worth its weight in gold. However, unless you're shaken, you will be shooting before you assault, and the melta gun should more than suffice.

As for normal dreadnoughts, their role is drastically different than the ironclad. I definitely pod ven dreads into enemy lines and take advantage of the venerable rule. I run them close combat weapon, heavy flamer, and multi-melta. They pod in and knock out a heavy tank, being BS5 and having the melta rule. If they get into close combat, the WS5 should be more than enough.

+ Reply to Thread