New Necrons, thoughts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Necrons, thoughts?

Curious what other people thought of the new Necron codex in regards to Grey Knights. It seems to me entropic strike and an abundance of AP 2 or better weapons hurts terminators and Draigowings a lot. But it also seems that Incinerators (since they're AP 4 and Warriors have a 4+ now) and Warp Rift Librarians (since they have to pass initiative and they only have 2) balance it out a fair amount.

Other observations? Counter-tactics?

When you fail to drink the Banana of Plasma, succeed in eating the Coffee Bean of Truth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Not worried too much. The new necron codex is good as in Blood Angel good. It is not good as in Grey Knight good. Grey knights are still top dog.

Entropic strike will be abundant with scarab swarms. That will be their equivalent to our psyfleman dreads in terms of importance to the army. AP2? Not so much. In that regards, they're like the grey knights....lack of plentiful AP1/2 guns. They have it, but it just won't be used that much. Expect to see more tesla weaponry, their analog to our psycannons.

Due to their scarab swarms, you will see a resurgence in grey knight incinerators and especially the heavy incinerator on our dreadknights. But don't expect much usage from our Warp Rift. If we're close enough to WR them, then we will wipe them out anyways in assault (unless they're wraiths, scarabs or a deathstar unit).
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be playing them tomorrow for the first time. I am thinking of Mordrak + 4 Ghosts + Lib with Warp Rift and using First into the Fray to drop next to a squad and just (try to) decimate it. I feel it should work well because as jy2 said they have a difficult time with 2+ armor. It's also nice for back field Annihilation Barges and Monoliths and even once in a while you hit both the squad and a vehicle.

I also think DKs with Incinerators/PTs/Hammer will be mopping Necrons. Pretty much the only army I can see using him against.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Just had a battle against the new necrons and I can tell you this much. They don't have an answer for paladins. My paladins wiped out his c'tan, lychguards, scarab swarms and 1 unit of necron warriors. All he could do was back away from my assault and try to kill my other units.

Lack of low-AP guns or insta-death weaponry hurts them, especially when my pallies have got an Apothecary in the unit. Gauss weaponry just bounce right off the pallies.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

play against them a few times now, a few things have caused me problem, tremor staves combined with a C'tan, he has a ability that makes all difficult terrain dangerous terrain and dangerous terrain tests on a 1 or 2, this has been a constant problem for my transports, then you have the ability to make flame based weapons within 12" explode on a 1 (ghrr), doomsday arks are annoying, I find I have to hide in my transports until I take them down but I have a 33% chance of my transports becoming immobilized when hit but a tremor stave (which is a 36" range ).

Then you have Trayzn, hes a real pain, take a leadership test on 3D6 or your model does D3 hits on your own unit, great fun against paladins because he can use the force weapon oh and hes scoring with a 3+ invul save bit annoyed my mate was using him with a 3+ invul save today when he doesn't have one, ghrr.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That attacking your own unit thing can be taken by any regular overlord, or normal lord for that matter (effectively wolf guard). Also, no answer to paladins? Did he even try using a doomsday ark? Ap1 strength 9 should blow them to pieces
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think doomsday arks have killed my paladins every single game, never said a normal lord couldn't take that ability? normal lords are however not scoring units

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJim View Post
    play against them a few times now, a few things have caused me problem, tremor staves combined with a C'tan, he has a ability that makes all difficult terrain dangerous terrain and dangerous terrain tests on a 1 or 2, this has been a constant problem for my transports,
    That is a gimmick and can easily be mitigated. What did I do against his C'tan with the DT power? Shoot him down. It's not really that hard to do, especially with psycannons and psyflemans. I also give all my rhinos/razors dozer blades. Move 12" and re-roll DT tests. For only 5pts, dozers are a steal. Take them with all your transports, whether you're going up against necrons or whoever.

then you have the ability to make flame based weapons within 12" explode on a 1 (ghrr),
    Another petty gimmick. They only explode if they are fired and only if you roll a 1 on a D6. And if you're playing a GK purist list, you don't have to worry about meltas.

doomsday arks are annoying, I find I have to hide in my transports until I take them down but I have a 33% chance of my transports becoming immobilized when hit but a tremor stave (which is a 36" range ).
    You're right, they are annoying, but your psyflemans should be able to take them down. If you're running paladins with Draigo, spread them out so that the blast can hit 3 at most on a direct hit, of which you can allocate 1 on Draigo. But really, you should be getting a 3+ shrouded cover against them (or 4+ without a librarian). Honestly, their lack of mobility makes them a liability IMO.

Then you have Trayzn, hes a real pain, take a leadership test on 3D6 or your model does D3 hits on your own unit, great fun against paladins because he can use the force weapon oh and hes scoring with a 3+ invul save bit annoyed my mate was using him with a 3+ invul save today when he doesn't have one, ghrr.
    Against Trayzn or any lord with the funky wargear, just shoot them to death. I don't care if they're 2+/3++. Volume of fire will easily take down those 5-man units (+IC's).

Necrons don't have anything that really concerns me all that much.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many games have you actually played against necrons? I'm just curious how much of what you said is theory hammer? while your right alot of the stuff is a gimik it is still anoying to play against, the C'tan, stave and Orikan combo is very annoying, can it be beat? certainly my Blood Raven Drop pod assault list would have a field day with his list (once I get it updated anyways ), I'm sure plenty of Guard armies will have a easy time as well, last game I had wasn't so bad, he only had one model left by turn5 and I have lost a couple of strikes and my Paladins, I was on both objectives but he was using Trayzn with a 3+ invul which meant he didn't get ID by a daemon hammer (he doesn't have one thankfully).

My personally experience is that venerables are amazing against necrons once you take down key units, Lych guard are very easy to kill, be it with charging strikes, paladins or just setting the Redeemer on them, The C'tan I have killed 3 out of 4 games, first few games I was struggling because every template weapon my mate used scored a hit (In every game), you don't need riflemen to deal with doomsark, I found outflanking was far better, did it with my venerable twice now and its done a brilliant job

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

You don't necessarily have to have played against the opponent to understand their strengths and weaknesses. I've only played one game against them and that was enough to confirm to me that they have no solution to paladins without resorting to tailoring their list, which would then make their army bad against other builds. Why do they matchup badly against the grey knights?

1. Grey knights are better midrange shooters thanks to assault weapons. Necrons, unfortunately, are stuck with rapid-fire weapons. That means while they come in close to rapid fire, their range is only 12" whereas the knights have 24". If they fight at the 12-24" range, then grey knights put out 2x the shots.

2. Which poses the 2nd problem - once they get closer to shoot, they get into grey knight assault threat range. Except for scarab swarms and wraiths, that is not where they want to be. While scarab swarms are awesome, grey knights can easily handle them with Cleansing Flame, force weapons and paladins.

3. There ranged shooting leaves much to be desired. While Imotek and Solar Pulse help, they will lose to psyflemans in a ranged firefight. Don't forget, Imotek's Night-Fight affects both them and us, so there's just as good a chance that they can't shoot as as there is we can't shoot them. And then we have searchlights while they don't. As long as you move 1 or 2 rhinos forwards to high-beam them, you can still hurt them. This tactic is to be used also when they use their Solar Pulse. Just remember to buy searchlights for your vehicles from now on. They, along with the very cheap dozer blades, are IMO a necessity nowadays, not a luxury.

4. Psycannons IMO are better than their tesla guns, even the tesla destructors which I consider one of their better weapons.

5. Really expensive necron transports. Their cheapest transport cost 100pts and is just as fragile as a rhino (AV11 with no quantum shield). They can't really afford to go full mech so you'll basically be playing against slowcrons.

6. No more invincible monoliths. Before, we really struggled against them but nowadays, we can actually kill them much easier.

So our mid-range shooting are better than theirs, our ranged shooting beats theirs and we will out-assault them. The only thing they can beat us is in mobility and even still, they're expensive if they go mech. But overall, we have the advantage against the new necrons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast