Two Twin-Linked Autocannons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

Two Twin-Linked Autocannons

Hi all,

Seeing alot of armies recently with one or sometimes even 2 dreads, geared up with a pair of twin linked autos.

So whats the story with these guys, and is this set up worth the cost of the dread for the firepower they supply? Are you better off with something else?

Thanks again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

The magic 8-ball says: "Yes".

Mostly, folk like rifleman dreads because you have 4, twinlinked high powered shots on a mobile, and fairly resilient platform. And the cost isn't that high, all things considered. Compare it to, say, a predator, and you're paying maybe twice the price for twice the shots (plus being twinlinked) for something that's not much weaker on the armour department. And again, it can walk and fire at the same time.

The best upside to it is: the number of shots is pretty ideal for guaranteeing that whatever it's shooting at (light/medium vehicles) will be destroyed. Fewer shots (like the before mentioned predator) and you run too great a risk of missing and wasting the shots. More shots (at a higher price tag) and you're spending more than you need to get the job done. The rifleman is a "just right" sort of deal, particularly when you're looking at a transport heavy meta (which most playing fields are).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

It's quite good, though I've started using the Assault Cannon in place of one of the TLAC arms. The effective range works out to be a bit lower, but the assault cannon is better against pretty much everything then the autocannon.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I built two Dreads with TL autocannon arms, in anticipation of this being the Marines main anti aircraft platform in the next edition. They look good too.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x4)

All looks good then, think i will add one to my Space Wolves.

Now, any idea where to pick up some spare Autocannons on the cheap? Typical story where all the ones i thought i had littered about the place have upped and vanished. Had a look on some "bits" sites but they were mostly sold out, also looking for one cyclone missilie l.auncher for a WG Termi. Im guessing Ebay as a best bet unless you guys can suggest any good sites. Preferably UK sites if pos, just to save on postage. I did look at the Forgworld arms and am not beyong buyiong them, but £7.50ish each, + P&P, when i can grab some cheap Autos and with a bit of conversion work have some nice looking guns seems a bit much.

Thanks again.

-Saltrock-

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

i can grab some cheap Autos and with a bit of conversion work have some nice looking guns
    This is probably the way to go. Between autocannons being both an after-market purchase and the most popular weapon choice these days, you won't find them cheap anywhere. Even IG autocannons are expensive; your best source for the base bits might be Chaos Terminator Reaper autocannons. The scale is off but nobody uses those.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

479 (x8)

I'm not sure if there's a cheap option out there. Best bet is to talk to someone that runs IG, as they may have some laying around that they could trade you or sell you on the cheap. Not the cheapest option, but the one I like the look of the best, is the autocannons from the Aegis Defense Line, as they already come in a twinlinked style. And I could use the walls. But for the same price as an Aegis Defense line (which will get you autocannons for 1 dread + walls), you can pick up autocannon bits off someplace like TheWarStore (same price will get you autocannons for 1.5 dreads, so 1 auto/auto dread and 1 auto/ass.cannon dread).

+ Reply to Thread