How do you play Dark Angels competitive? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

How do you play Dark Angels competitive?

So I built up a Grey Knights army for Draigowing wanted a 2,000 pts list. And i was going to use my spare space marine terminators to flesh out the list with converted GK termies.
    However found a good last minute deal and nagged another box of GK termies and 2 dreadknights, so I decided I still wanted to do something with the spare terminators i have
    And suddenly "Deathwing" came to mind.

I want to build a competitive Deathwing army list from the Dark Angels codex. But since I know very little about dark angels except that they have terminators as troops, I thought i'd ask you guys to share your knowledge and enlighten a potential new member to the traitor hunting club.

My question is simple...How do you play Dark Angels competitive? What are the key units to use and why?
    also would love to know is Deathwing worth it?
    what are good example deathwing army list builds between 1,000 to 2,000 pts?

I have 18 spare terminators with options for 2 chainfist, 2 assault cannons, 2 heavy flamers the rest are a bunch of power fist and storm bolter arms.
    I also have 20 spare bolter marines and 1 spare terminator chaplain, all of which I could toss into a DA dedicated army if they would fit well.

Have at it fellas...

1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts
    3. Space Marines - 6,000 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Deathwing. Ok. Things to know: you want a missile launcher or assault cannon in every squad. I like the missile launcher myself because you can mount it on a th/ss or dual lc termie and not lose and efficiency in combat.

Second, deathwing termies are like SM drop pods. If they deepstrike, half of the units will deep strike in the first turn. This makes them work really well with bikers with teleport homers.

Third, the low model count is a huge weakness. Pack in the storm shields to eat plasma/lance spam.

They need support. Preds or dreads are good choices, but make sure you have 4 or more vehicles or they're going to get shredded by all the anti-armor your opponents have. Bikes are good to get in quick and tie up units that you don't want harassing you as you move (slowly) around. Land raiders can have mixed results. If you play in a light transport-heavy meta with lots of autocannon spam they'll survive forever, but otherwise every melta/lascannon is going to eat them alive.

Be aggressive. Get stuck in assault and stay there as long as possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Oh wow, I love this thread. Let me pull out the sheets and sheets and sheets of chicken scratch of DA army lists lol.

Deathwing is competative when used with Ravenwing...bottom line. I have played many games without Ravenwing Support and just find myself missing them everytime. They are the ones that will allow you to deliver terminators more effectively as they have Teleport Homers. They are annoying. People hate how fast they get in their face, and how quick a couple of melta guns or a multi melta attack bike can dispatch their armor. They can hold their own in almost any combat buying time for terminators. This also includes Landspeeders. I prefer Landspeeders them in 2's in these specific builds: Typhoon/HB and AC/HB, Typhoon/MM and AC/MM

Dreadnoughts and Preds are great at low to high point cost. Land Raiders at Higher point costs(but I am not affraid to use them in 1000pts lol).

These are all lists that I have ran and have won all the games.

First off 1000pts is tricky, 1250 gets good, 1500+ is just awesome!

1000pt:
    Belial
    Deathwing
    +cyclone missile 2xTH/SS 2xLightning Claws
    Deathwing
    +cyclone missile 2xTH/SS 2xLightning Claws
    6 Ravenwing bikes
    +attack bike w/multi-melta +power fist +2xmelta gun +melta bombs
    Landseeder
    +typhoon +MM

1250pt:
    Belial
    Deathwing
    +cyclone 2xTH/SS 2xLC +Apothicary
    Deathwing
    +cyclone 2xTH/SS 2xLC
    6 Ravenwing Bikes
    +attack bike w/multi-melta +power fist +2xMG's
    Venerable Dreadnought
    +Plasma Cannon +Heavy Flamer
    Landspeeder
    +Typhoon +HB
    Landspeeder
    +Typhoon +MM

1500pt. Sometimes I will simply add a Land Raider to the 1250 list. I have only run this twice. I am 1 and 1. I did however like it a lot but this list is what I prefer:

Belial
    Deathwing
    +cyclone 2xTH/SS 2xLC
    Deathwing
    +cyclone 2xTH/SS 2xLC
    Deathwing
    +Assault Cannon 1xTH/SS 3xchain fists/storm bolter
    Dreadnought
    +TL Lascannon +Missile Launcher
    6 Ravenwing Bikes
    +attack bike w/multi-melta +PF +2xmelta gun
    Landspeeder
    +typhoon +MM
    Predator
    +Autocannon +HB side sponsons

Anyway, hope that helps get the gears going! You may need to locate some parts for the terminators based on what you have/what I have listed but its very doable as you have models already your just adding arms. If you have any other specific questions feel free to PM me, I love talking Dark Angels. Also if you would like some other list idea I can PM those as well, let me know!
    Last edited by Brother_Kendo; December 23rd, 2011 at 05:55.

Kendo's DA's, Eldar, and stuff WIP
    Dark Angels: W-22 D-4 L-5 High Elves W-8 L-1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x1)

Thanks fellas, I dont have that many bikes and honestly if i would go for a DS strategy I would do it with 4 or 5 termies squads I dont think the 1st turn DS would work out so well with 3 units of termies I rather pack them in a land raider and see what happens. But i do see the logic in using the bikes to do a scout move across the table and then bring in the termies
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts
    3. Space Marines - 6,000 pts

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

The deathraven,is the most competitive and skill demanding of all our builds.It works like the cogs of a watch though.Have one of them fail and it crumbles.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread