Sentinels: Scout vs. Armored - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sentinels: Scout vs. Armored

Two questions:

1. Is the xtra armor worth giving up the scout rule and the xtra points?

2. Also as far as asthetics go, I like the way Armored scouts look better. Can they be played either way or does that depend on my opponent?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

It depends on the roll you want them to play. A couple Armored Sentinels with Heavy Flamers can really be a nice tar pit unit. Our if you want some nice armor harassment units you can use the Scout Sentinels and give them Autocannons and outflank them.

As far as the look, i would just check with your opponent. Most should not have an issue with using them either way as they models are exactly the same but some armor plates on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I've never taken Armoured Sentinels. IMO to make them a real option they should have the option of taking a second weapon at +5 points more (so 70 points for 2 Autocannons, 5 points cheaper than a Hydra. Another good combo: 2 Heavy Flamers :o).

Every now and then I take a few Scout Sentinels with Autocannons and Hunter Killer Missiles and scout them along an empty side of the board (or outflank). In this role their wafer thin armour doesn't matter, its all about getting in one good shot and being really cheap. And the opponent still has to divert at least 1 unit to finish them off or they will keep plugging away shooting at side armour.

The Armoured sentinel of course is much worse at this role (can't scout and has useless points in being tougher, even though its probably only going to take a single unit to take it out). It has to be a part of the gunline, where I don't think it does better than a Hydra or a Heavy Weapon Squad.

EDIT: One advantage of Armoured Sentinels is that you are slightly more likely to benifit by having them in a larger squadron. Particularly as you can arrange them in a circle facing outward effectively giving them side AV12! (in a squadron, the facing of the closest vehicle is always used)
    Last edited by kroxigor01; December 24th, 2011 at 00:14.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

The scout ability is really powerful. It gives guard lists amazing mobility, allowing you to get in behind the opponent and mess up his backfield and prevents a good player from charging you with everything he's got. Their ability to get at the rear armour of enemy vehicles also offsets their lighter firepower. I normally leave the stock multilasers on them since they're so powerful against AV10/11.

The exception being if you take Creed - then you can outflank them and get the best of both worlds
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The exception being if you take Creed - then you can outflank them and get the best of both worlds
    Seconded. Armored Sentinels are the best unit for 'tactial genius' (followed by Hellhounds).

Outflanking the Scout variant is a cheap and effective way to deter the bum rush tactic but I've learned to not expect much beyond that. Armored Sentinels are more effective in every other way. I've often wondered why more mech players don't use them alongside Chimeras...they're useful weapon platforms and the cheapest way to stuff even more armor into the list. A well-timed Sentinel charge could easily keep a Vet squad alive long enough to mount up again,too.

My preference for Armored notwishstanding, I'm more likely to use the Scout variant. My army runs a minimal amount of medium armor and needs significant outflanking to compensate. Like Dracus said, the answer depends on the rest of your list.

Quote Originally Posted by kroxigor01
    to make them a real option they should have the option of taking a second weapon at +5 points more ... cheaper than a Hydra
    Rifleman Sentinels? Perish the thought. But a multimelta option would have been very nice. Someday I gotta get me the plasma cannon bits so I can replace my Russ Executioner.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

The problem with Sentinels of either flavor is they compete for Fast Attack slots with Vendettas and Hellhounds. Most of the time, though, I would recommend 3 scout sentinels with autocannons or multilasers to outflank and harass transports. If you've got the points, throwing on some HK missiles make for a good alpha strike right after coming on the board.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

+ Reply to Thread