I miss Light of the Emperor. The story of the Cannoness who couldn't. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

I miss Light of the Emperor. The story of the Cannoness who couldn't.

I would like to start out by saying that every time I've tried to field test a Celestian/Cannoness squad (Cannoness Ros/PW/IP, 9 Celestians w/2 flamers, VSS - PW/PP in a Rhino) they have had the most awful luck. It's like the dice gods do not approve of my willingness to find a place for the wretched entry known as the Cannoness, and yet I still try. The latest endeavor found my Squad unable to pass moral checks. After having their Rhino explode off of a single Auto Cannon shot on the bottom of the first turn and loosing a model, they failed their pining test and spent the second turn waiting in the crater of their ride. All did not seem lost, because there was a nearby squad of Chaos Marines ready to be charged with some Seraphim waiting near by, however on his turn he decided to tank shock that very squad on his second turn. Surely, this was an advantage, I foolishly though because He would have put me into better position after I moved. Little did I know that the dice gods were angry with the abomination that is the Cannoness and they failed their Moral Test falling 11" backwards. A tactical retreat, it must be! When I regroup, I can make my 3" consolidation and that will put me within charging distance of a group of a recently Dropped Karmoon Special. Between the combined fire of the unit (possible some Exorcist and Seraphim) and the Powers of Faith, my girls actually stood a chance. However, I once again failed to regroup and proceeded to fall back a mere 4", a dangerously close to my table edge. On his turn, he rolls his rhino up and stops well within 6", nearly touching my unit. Being forced to fall back, I rolled 7" stopping less than an inch from the board edge. He was close enough to fire while falling back, though unfortunately my melta pistol was half an inch from the hull and they proceeded to run off the table the following turn. The moral of this story is I lost the game by 2 kills points.

During this game it had occurred to me how much I missed all of my squads having Light of the Emperor. I mean, why is it that only the basic troops can find courage in the face of impossible odds? Let's face it, my luck with that squad was absolutely horrendous, but even still that seems like it should never have happened. Personally, I think that all squads should be able to regroup by passing a faith test. It should be part of the basic rule for Acts of Faith.

Just another thing to be disappointed about, I guess.

Also, I would like to say that the rest of the game went amazingly well. I have never passed so many Shield of Faith tests on my vehicles since I started playing. First thing I did was pop a Dreadnaught from the back of a Rhino, then my Seraphim completely wiped out a CSM squad, I scouted an immolator and blew up a rhino. All in all, the rest of the game was fine and we were trading even blows (Seras got blasted by Luscious and Noise marines. 2 Sirens +T3 = Bad). When Celestine died, she stood right back up again. It was just failing 3 Ld10 moral checks that lost me the game.

Sigh.

40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

In the case of the celestians all it would take is for their faith power to be less restrictive.
    Though rules as written they would technically rally the turn after they use it even though they are no longer fearless.

Compared to the old sisters the WD dex is very shaky when it comes to moral, far more than you would expect from Ld9. Really hits home when you play a lot of marine opponents, especially when your squads start to go up in smoke in combat resolution.

As for the celestians, serves you right - you are paying for a wolf priest and grey hunters, but fielding guardsmen in power armour with an occasionally furious charge and intermittently righteous priest :p

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss the Book of St. Lucius and Leadership 10 units around the board, but hey all it does is hurt to look back, so I bite my lip and smile about all the wonderful things i still have. Like the untouched Exorcists, they are the best little killing organs around....man I love them. Even if I roll 1 missile its still awesome, but 6 is pure joy. Also I have noticed a trend in all the games I have played that if they don't die 1st turn the chance they will blow up is like 10%. No one wants to "waste" resources trying to hit a backline tank with 13 front armor and cover saves. Fools, all of them.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

I know. Shame on me for trying something new. The worst part is that I'd still want to try this build because it's always come down to something stupid happening to them. In this case, we were both testing other lists and whatnot. 1500 points, he took no obliterators, Noise marines with Luscious, Havoks with Auto Cannons.

The exorcists are good but mandatory because we have no other option

Mine also has the amazing ability to have very polarized rolls. If I roll a 1, I guarantee you I won't roll any damage. However, if I roll a 6, there will be at last 4 pens. xD
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by ikbuh View Post
    Mine also has the amazing ability to have very polarized rolls. If I roll a 1, I guarantee you I won't roll any damage. However, if I roll a 6, there will be at last 4 pens. xD
    LOL I do the same thing. If I roll a 1 then I will miss. However if I roll a 6 then 5 will probably miss. I think I need to make a sacrifice to the dice gods or something.
    Best shooting I have done with an Exorcist was to shoot 4 shots at an old dex hive tyrant, hit all four, wound with all four, and he failed all four invul saves for a one shot kill essentially.

Suffer not the heretic. That's right, I'm looking at you Astartes Librarians.

+ Reply to Thread