Making a competative small marine list... (500pts) advice needed! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

Making a competative small marine list... (500pts) advice needed!

Hi all,

basically i am yet again asking the community for advice on making a very small list of 500pts, this time focussing on marines You guys have already helped me make good Dark Eldar and Eldar lists, so I'm sure you won't dissapoint!

Basically I want to know what you would put into a 500pt Marine list, it can be whatever you want, mech, infantry, whatever, just give me your choices and state reasons why please Reason I ask is because while I already have a 500pt marine list (and 90% of the models in it, unlike my eldar and dark eldar, where I just use stand-ins in lieu of any models at all!), I'm sceptical as to how good it can be and wanted some advice from better players than I.

So away we go! Lets see what you come up with!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

This went around a while ago. I don't know if my favorite was the one with the two vindicators or the one with the land raider. Those were some "competitive" lists.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

space marine librarian chaplain or captain unupgraded. 100 points
    5 man scout squad with sniper rifles 75 points
    5 man scout squad with sniper rifles 75 points
    land raider 250 points
    total: 500 points
    Kill them all and let the emperor sort them out.

5. Likeiecosis liked this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah Redriks list is effective i run it aswell, the libby, sniperscouts and LR are very effective and many people run very little anti-av14 at low points. + scouts can sit in raider and hold objectives in 5th ed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Im actually going to run that list in a upcoming escalation tournament.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    95 (x2)

That list is...interesting to say the least, but I personally don't think it's for me (as I have don't have a land raider or scouts but do have 2 rhinos and 30 tactical marines)

I'll leave the floor open to other suggestions, but I have another question to add to the first:-

What tactics do you think play most effectively at this points level? And where in the marine lists do you find this? I for example, try to always stick to having the following in my lists

1) movement/manouverability
    2) Good Anti-infantry/anti-horde
    3) Good Anti-tank
    4) Good CC abilities

Obviously it's going to be very difficult if not impossible to get that in at the 500pt mark, but what do you suggest to try and cover those bases at this points level? One thing I have tried (and was pleasently surprised by) was a captain + 5 Tactical marines with flamers and bolt pistols/bolters basically kitted out as an assaulty squad, rolling around in a razorback with a 10 man tac squad in a rhino toting a missile launcher and plasma gun - that was pretty much my original 500pt list. Any ideas of alternatives?

Cheers.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Id say the LR is more or less a liability on the current melta conditions.With the low cost of a melta gun why not take it in such a low points game?If you lost that big brick chunk you effectively loose half your army in one stroke.

To answer the last question i would go with a gun line,some scouts with snipers for pinning and missiles and plasma cannons for more sturdy targets.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

479 (x8)

So no librarian, two vindicators, and two squads of sniper scouts? When I hear folk ask for a "competitive" list, I always feel they want to crush their enemies, see them driven before them, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

But for normal small games (on the fun side of things), I would suggest trying to keep things cheap and varied. Going with a full tac squad and a sniper squad and librarian gives you plenty of room to add in a thunderfire cannon or an assault squad or attack bikes or a dreadnought. To me, the more toys you have on the field, the more fun you have, instead of just having two troops and an hq and nothing else.

So mostly, keep it cheap. Don't worry too much about all the upgrades (like powerfists on sergeants) quite yet. And transports aren't as crucial when you're playing on a 4x4 board instead of the usual 6x4, though razorbacks do make for cheap tanks when playing at that level.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
    That list is...interesting to say the least, but I personally don't think it's for me (as I have don't have a land raider or scouts but do have 2 rhinos and 30 tactical marines)

I'll leave the floor open to other suggestions, but I have another question to add to the first:-

What tactics do you think play most effectively at this points level? And where in the marine lists do you find this? I for example, try to always stick to having the following in my lists

1) movement/manouverability
    2) Good Anti-infantry/anti-horde
    3) Good Anti-tank
    4) Good CC abilities

Obviously it's going to be very difficult if not impossible to get that in at the 500pt mark, but what do you suggest to try and cover those bases at this points level? One thing I have tried (and was pleasently surprised by) was a captain + 5 Tactical marines with flamers and bolt pistols/bolters basically kitted out as an assaulty squad, rolling around in a razorback with a 10 man tac squad in a rhino toting a missile launcher and plasma gun - that was pretty much my original 500pt list. Any ideas of alternatives?

Cheers.
    drop the plasma gun for a melta and if you can replace the captain with a chapter master for the orbital bombardment it is nasty in such low points basicly

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by pilot00 View Post
    Id say the LR is more or less a liability on the current melta conditions.With the low cost of a melta gun why not take it in such a low points game?If you lost that big brick chunk you effectively loose half your army in one stroke.

To answer the last question i would go with a gun line,some scouts with snipers for pinning and missiles and plasma cannons for more sturdy targets.
    The thing you forget is that a land raider has lascannons which have 48 inch range compared to the 12 (or 6 lol) inch meltas that means they out range them by 4 times which should be plenty of time to deal with it before hand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast