Want to start a Sisters army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to start a Sisters army

So, I would love to start Sisters of Battle, as I love the fluff and the aesthetics of them, but I was wondering if it would be worth it. I mean, are there any lists that could be competitive for them? I'm not saying that I want to completely sweep every game I play (if I wanted that I'd play Blood Angels), but I would like to be able to put up a good fight against other armies and have a decent chance of winning. Also, do you think there is any chance that they will be receiving an update with a new edition?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x3)

I love my sisters, but have only played 2 games with them since the new "codex". They are simply awful.

If you like models you could always get a small sisters army but use them as henchmen from the Grey Knights codex for the next couple of years until a proper codex and models are out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, that sounds like a decent plan. I'll probably just get a few models and paint them up, use them for stand-ins whenever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had an ok amount of success playing them, winning 4 out of 8 games I played with a 1500 point list. I don't know how much of that was due to their bad lists vs good dice rolls. A lot of their awful standing seems to come from the fact that they are so meh. Before they had a lot of fantastic rules that could pull off a few good wins. Now they just seem to be generic as hell. They don't get any real boosts or bonuses apart from a universal 6++. Though admittedly it is highly satisfying to have a rhino save against a railgun shot.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LillySatou View Post
    I mean, are there any lists that could be competitive for them?
    You should be ok as long as you stay within the range of 1000-2000 points - anything beyond that and you'll quickly run out of useful ways to spend your points.
    You will be taking much the same army time and time again though, and variant game types such as planetstrike or spearhead do not favour you.

-Saint Celestine - Send her out to die. She is an annoyance unit that will keep coming back to life and getting in the way, especially around objectives. She does not cause as much damage in close combat as her high stats would suggest but will still chip away at things, and has a heavy flamer too.

-Uriah Jacobus - The man himself has little to offer in terms of attacks, but the unit he's with (typically a whole bunch of death cultists and a few crusaders) get a significant boost in offensive and defensive capabilities making him a popular HQ

-Kyrinov - Sisters are highly prone to breaking and being swept in combat. Kyrinov can stop this, in a small radius, which along with the cult he brings makes him a clear favourite over the generic confessor if you like dual-conclaves and in some people's lists a decent competitor to Uriah.

-Battle Conclaves - The arco flagellants have little to recommend them. The death-cultists however are very effective against armoured targets and a few crusaders can add a bit of backbone. The unit is very squishy, though Uriah can help matters, and you'll notice it's absent from many GK lists despite being scoring and the availability of assault vehicles -- they mince stuff in cc but you should always consider them a support unit.

-Battle Sisters - The most expensive minimum scoring unit in the whole game, and rather mediocre all things considered. Still they have access to solid weaponry and armour, and are BS4. And they are compulsory so good/bad is a moot point.

-Dominions - Smaller, better armed squads of battle sisters with a more effective faith power and scouting. Typically suicide troops but effective at their role, they are the only place it's ever worth taking the expensive multimelta immolator.

-Seraphim - Squishy, and not at all good in close combat for an jump infantry unit, but capable of putting a huge number of wounds down with flamers and bolters.

-Exorcists - Effectively an erratic lascannon predator. Sometimes it'll fall flat, other times it'll vaporise a tyranid MC in a single shot. Best taken in pairs (or 3s) to offset the random element.

-Retributors - 12 heavy bolter shots for a not unreasonable cost. Rending can damage vehicles but is highly erratic. Often taken by players who want a transport to give to Repentia.

These, along with the Rhino, will likely make up every list you field.

Of the remaining units the Confessor is irrelevant next to the named characters, the Canoness and her command squad are mediocre for their cost (though somewhat mandatory for a sisters-only list), the Celestians and Immolator are both grossly overpriced (though occasionally used as a substitute or transport for dominions), and both the repentia and penitent engines suffer from the unfortunately combination of rage and high vulnerability.
    Oh, and the preachers are crap too.

Quote Originally Posted by LillySatou View Post
    Also, do you think there is any chance that they will be receiving an update with a new edition?
    Nobody really knows if GW is trying to stir up interest in the line or kill it dead right now.

They can be a decent workhorse army but you aren't going to overwhelm anyone - you'll only win games by slowly piling on an grinding them out. Sisters bleed killpoints and hold objectives like gretchen so you really just have to push ahead in the early turns and see what the game offers you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

I think AT summed up the current state of the Sisters. I think they are quite capable of putting up a "good fight," but most games will not ultimately end in your favor. I tend to play around the 1500-1850 point range and have had moderate results. If you want to be competitive and win more frequently than not, the SOB are definitely not the army to bring to the table. If you play for fun, then they can bring definitely bring that.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

AT hit a lot of good points. The biggest thing to remember is that while you're probably not going to win any 'Ard Boys tournaments with Sisters of Battle, they can still be very effective if played right. This means you have to know where to send your troops, you have to know what to sacrifice, know your priority targets, ect. While this is true for every army, Sisters of Battle suffer more than most other armies if you make a mistake. The number of units we have are in fact limited, but at the same time, there are a few variations to those units as well. Take a look at the lists selection and get a feel for what you can do with the limited resources we have.

Don't be discouraged by us bitter Sisters players, though. The army can be very rewarding and fun, especially in the 1000-1500 ranges, which means at the very least, you can start them and just have them a fun side army if you want something different.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the opinions everyone. I think I'll start them as a small side army as ikbuh suggested.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

personally I really like the Sisters and win more often than not with them. In fact I have only played sisters for about 5 years now and have only recently started a second army (eldar) because I am routinely finishing in the top three in local tourneys and getting store credit. sucks that i cant buy more sisters with it but whatever.

Yes they got worse than codex witch hunters but I dont feel that they are a bad army. Like any army you have to know your own strengths and weaknesses along with those of your opponent so you can pit your strengths against their weaknesses.

Suffer not the heretic. That's right, I'm looking at you Astartes Librarians.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

115 (x6)

I'm kind of in the same boat as Scave when it comes to Sisters. Winning with them is not impossible and being competitive isn't either, but once you hit a certain points value, there's really nothing you can do. 2000 points is very much our effective limit and even then, you're stretching your faith points because you still only have 1d6 of them. I've had very good success with the current codex as well, but that doesn't mean it isn't incredibly boring sometimes. My only real concern is how I want to equip my troops, but beyond that, it's the same list. 1000 points? Two squads of sisters in rhinos, 10 seras, celestine and two exorcists. 1500? Add another BS squad and some Dominions. 1750? Add another dominion squad and some rets. 1850? Thigns shift around and Doms usually get TLMMolators, 2000? Celestians.

That about sums it up.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast