Help with Dark Angel Ravewing.... :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Dark Angel Ravewing.... :)

Good day!

I am an ork player... and love the good old Ork horde and all it is good for. However I want to start a second army and looking towards SM. There is a Dark Angels Ravenwing army for sale with the below models, and I wanted your feedback as to if its a good start for a 1500+ pnt list.

1 Sammael Master of the Ravenwing
    1 Space Marine Chaplain on Bike
    3 Attack Bikes
    18 Ravenwing Bikes
    4 Land Speeders
    1 Custom Made Belial Master of the Deathwing
    1 Venerable Dreadnought
    1 Terminator Librarian
    1 Predator Tank
    1 Drop Pod
    18 Terminators

Photos available here:

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c329/abe626/Dark%20Angels%20Ravenwing/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Any feedback would be VERY appreciated and if you think its a good start and most of the models would form a well balanced army then I will buy it.

Cheers and thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

it doesn't look bad to me and it is what you want for a raven/deathwing force. decent paint job and the correct colors as far as i can tell. the big question is do the models have the weapons you want on them and if not does the person who is selling it have the extra bits. also, are you happy with the price and with buying and playing with models that someone else painted?
    Last edited by greektlake; February 21st, 2012 at 18:11.
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Go for it they look decent and with some dreads in there you could make a good list.
    Praise be to the Emperor!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Greektlake: Thanks for your comments, and I will ensure I ask for the extra bitz to help reconfigure the army.

@ pilot00: how do you typically play dreads with a DA: RW/DW configuration? Do they typically outflank from reserves, drop pod in, or deploy normally on your table side ??
    As I am brand new to DA, I have been reading a lot of lists and many people do take dreads, I just wasnt sure of the tactics for deployment.

Many thanks!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    459 (x8)

Preaty mych the same as a vanilla codex dread,only it must be ven IMHO.If you want to destroy vehicles and tarpit units drop it,if you want to be fire base it can footslog,although for a mobile force the latter option is somewhat inflexible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on and thank you!

Quick question, is there any particular reason that many DA units cost more then in the standard SM 5th ed Codex? Examples are terminator, bikers, atk bikes, and speeders... everything costs more points!

Maybe I am looking at the wrong DA Codex... but it doesnt even have Sammael Master of the Ravenwing or Belial Master of the Deathwing... so I have no idea what their profiles or abilities are.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

459 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster83 View Post
    Right on and thank you!

Quick question, is there any particular reason that many DA units cost more then in the standard SM 5th ed Codex? Examples are terminator, bikers, atk bikes, and speeders... everything costs more points!

Maybe I am looking at the wrong DA Codex... but it doesnt even have Sammael Master of the Ravenwing or Belial Master of the Deathwing... so I have no idea what their profiles or abilities are.
    You quite possibly look at the right codex as i cant think of a way to procure an older one at this time from a store(unless you e-bayed or torrented...).

The DAs pay more on certain squads by virtue of their special rules and equipment gimmicks.Though get your hands on the latest faq/update since a lot of things changed costs.

The reason the rest of our options cost a ton of points is that the codex cant decide on which edition it wanted to play:Half 5th edition rules and options,half fourth and high prices.

And in case you wonder why:It was the last 4th ed codex and meant to pioneer the 5th,an admitted by the authors themselves test subject case.
    How does it feel to be a lab mouse?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I found the correct codex, and all of the ICs I was looking for are there!

A couple of random questions popped into my head when I read through it:

1. Is Sammael worth taking? As he is on a jetbike, I dont think he can join any of the other units... so doesnt that leave him really exposed? Also he doesnt get that sweeping attack during the movement phase in 4th ed does he?
    2. With 3x5 DW Terminators I am considering using Belial so I can get the better banner and the DeathWing Strike special rule... is it worth it for this option to bring in half of the DW? Or should I only attempt if I have 4 or 6 sets of 5 Terminators?
    3. Are DW Terminators with a CML best to use lightning claws or TH/SS
    4. I really do like the fact that Azrael gives a 4+ Invul to his entire unit... what is the best way to maximize this? Use him in a Command Squad? Can he field an Honour Squad out of the 5th SM Codex?
    5. With an all Ravenwing or all Deathwing list... are there still special rules like in 3rd ed where you can outflank everyone, or anything like that ?

Thanks for any help with these random questions... I have read the FAQ and a lot of pages but I just couldnt get the answer.

Cheers!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster83 View Post
    Well I found the correct codex, and all of the ICs I was looking for are there!

A couple of random questions popped into my head when I read through it:

1. Is Sammael worth taking? As he is on a jetbike, I dont think he can join any of the other units... so doesnt that leave him really exposed? Also he doesnt get that sweeping attack during the movement phase in 4th ed does he?
    2. With 3x5 DW Terminators I am considering using Belial so I can get the better banner and the DeathWing Strike special rule... is it worth it for this option to bring in half of the DW? Or should I only attempt if I have 4 or 6 sets of 5 Terminators?
    3. Are DW Terminators with a CML best to use lightning claws or TH/SS
    4. I really do like the fact that Azrael gives a 4+ Invul to his entire unit... what is the best way to maximize this? Use him in a Command Squad? Can he field an Honour Squad out of the 5th SM Codex?
    5. With an all Ravenwing or all Deathwing list... are there still special rules like in 3rd ed where you can outflank everyone, or anything like that ?

Thanks for any help with these random questions... I have read the FAQ and a lot of pages but I just couldnt get the answer.

Cheers!
    1. In a ravenwing themed army, yes. He lets you take RAS units as troop choices. He's also immune to Instant Death while on his bike, so he's more survivable then he'd otherwise be without the Independant Character rule. And no, there's no sweeping attack rule.
    2. The Deathwing strike is workable, but it can suffer some on cluttered tables. I'd honestly just walk the terminators up the table.
    3. Always go with the TH/SS over the twin claws - it doubles their survivability against heavy weapons and lets them punch out tanks and MCs with ease.
    4. You can only take units from your own codex, though in a doubles match you could mix him up with whatever unit he goes well with. That's where you can normally get the most out of Azreal.
    5. It's a whole new codex - you only get the rules that it says you get.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent thanks for the tips !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast