Wolves, wolves and thunderwolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Son of LO Polaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,653
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

    Wolves, wolves and thunderwolves

    So now that GW is finally putting out plastic kits for Fenrisian wolves and Thunderwolf cavalry I've been thinking about if Canis Wolfborn army would work... Basically it would have Thunderwolf cavalry x2 or 3, Fenrisian wolves x 2 or 3, Canis Wolfborn and 2 to 3 Wolfguard battle-leaders/wolflords with Thunderwolves. Everything is cavalry or beast. Its fast and its damn hitty. Okay, so they don't keep objectives, ever, so 2/3rds of the time you'll be playing for annihilation. But then again don't all assaulty armies primarily play for annihilation anyway?

    I know already that it would be characterfull army, interesting to model and paint and it would really legitimate the Space Wolves codex since, lets face it, Grey Hunters and Long Fangs in Razorbacks is neither original or novel and should never had been given a codex of their own. At least a Marine Cavalry and Beasts army is something really new and something only this codex can do. The real question is, would it win any games?

    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    LO Zealot watchwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,457
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

    Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    So now that GW is finally putting out plastic kits for Fenrisian wolves and Thunderwolf cavalry I've been thinking about if Canis Wolfborn army would work... Basically it would have Thunderwolf cavalry x2 or 3, Fenrisian wolves x 2 or 3, Canis Wolfborn and 2 to 3 Wolfguard battle-leaders/wolflords with Thunderwolves. Everything is cavalry or beast. Its fast and its damn hitty. Okay, so they don't keep objectives, ever, so 2/3rds of the time you'll be playing for annihilation. But then again don't all assaulty armies primarily play for annihilation anyway?

    I know already that it would be characterfull army, interesting to model and paint and it would really legitimate the Space Wolves codex since, lets face it, Grey Hunters and Long Fangs in Razorbacks is neither original or novel and should never had been given a codex of their own. At least a Marine Cavalry and Beasts army is something really new and something only this codex can do. The real question is, would it win any games?
    It's possible, I suppose. You'll want to use Fenrisian Wolves to screen and focus on infantry while the Thunderwolves go after tanks and other scary things.

  4. #3
    Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    3,274
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

    I think it's brilliant enough that I might have to steal that idea. Though I'd probably put a couple proper troop squads (knowing me it will be blood claws just to continue with the melee savages theme) so that I can take objectives. Armies like this are fun (it's similar to an all death company style army), but you really need to be able to take objectives if you ever hope to do more than draw.

  5. #4
    Son of LO Polaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,653
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Klajorne View Post
    I think it's brilliant enough that I might have to steal that idea. Though I'd probably put a couple proper troop squads (knowing me it will be blood claws just to continue with the melee savages theme) so that I can take objectives. Armies like this are fun (it's similar to an all death company style army), but you really need to be able to take objectives if you ever hope to do more than draw.
    I was actually thinking that the more "competitive" version of this would be taking Logan and two small squads of Wolf Guard in terminator armour to keep the backfield objectives while Canis and the Thunderwolf Cavalry units (two of them) would charge forward and bash the enemy. In addition there would be plenty of Fenrisian Wolves to screen the heavy hitters.

    You can (obviously) win Kill Point games without a single scoring unit and you don't really need to keep more than one objective in objective games if you are fast and hitty enough to contest the others.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

  6. #5
    Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    3,274
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

    Yeah, but once you toss in Logan, you're starting to take a lot of points away from your calvary/beast theme (barring playing something like 2500 points or something). As you mentioned, you really only need one or two small units to hold the odd objective. A CML termie wolf guard is nice to contribute from the back line, but you don't need a whole squad of them. Just one joining a 5 man squad of grey hunters can do everything you want, while also be scoring.

    Generally though (and this is because I'm always thinking at the 1500 point level where things are tight), I'd go with a couple minimum squads of grey hunters (though being in razorbacks would really help out their survivability and contribution to the fight).

  7. #6
    Son of LO Polaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,653
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

    Yeah, I checked the Codex again and came to the conclusion that Logan and the Wolf Guard would really rack up the point cost too much. Not to mention the fact that the cavalry, being big models and big targets, really need as many storm shields as you can put into them... So I guess you are right. Better rack up all the points possible into the cavalry and big packs of screening wolves. Just one or two Grey Hunter units can probably hold a single objective backfield while the cavalry and the wolves contest others.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

  8. #7
    Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    3,274
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

    Not sure how you feel about multi-wound shenanigans, but all you need is one storm shield, the rest you can go with relatively cheap upgrades like bolters or meltabombs so that you can shuffle wounds around. It'll generally give you all the survivability you'll need since you won't face too much insta-gibbing with T5.

  9. #8
    Son of LO Polaria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,653
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by Klajorne View Post
    Not sure how you feel about multi-wound shenanigans, but all you need is one storm shield, the rest you can go with relatively cheap upgrades like bolters or meltabombs so that you can shuffle wounds around. It'll generally give you all the survivability you'll need since you won't face too much insta-gibbing with T5.
    Two words: Grey Knights
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

  10. #9
    LO Zealot watchwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Ottawa
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,457
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

    Quote Originally Posted by Klajorne View Post
    Not sure how you feel about multi-wound shenanigans, but all you need is one storm shield, the rest you can go with relatively cheap upgrades like bolters or meltabombs so that you can shuffle wounds around. It'll generally give you all the survivability you'll need since you won't face too much insta-gibbing with T5.
    Second the Grey Knights. Even without them, a 3++ save is still a ton more survivable then no invul save at all when you're being raked down by every meltagun in someone's army. Which can be a lot of them if you're facing something like the IG.

    Also, Demolishers/Vindicators and the like would have a field day with a multiwound T5 unit with no invul save.

  11. #10
    Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Montucky
    Posts
    3,274
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

    Oddly enough, I have yet to play against any grey knights. I guess I've been rather insulated in that regard. Even the scene in the new town I moved to, which is fairly competitively minded, doesn't have a GK player as far as I know.

    I'm not saying that the list doesn't have a few things that you have to watch out for, but I still don't think every rider needs his own storm shield. I mean, how many pie plates can you fit over a squad with 60mm bases? And with a 19-24" threat range, bubble wrapped by throw-away units that are nearly as cheap as orks, how many meltaguns can your opponent bring to bear against you?

    It's a nob biker list, for the most part. I don't think anybody was saying that it was the next top teir tourny winner, but I do think that it's quite viable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts