UNIT OF THE WEEK - Dread Knight - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

UNIT OF THE WEEK - Dread Knight

Ok guys, I have recentley returned to LO after a brief break and at the request of a fellow gamer(ZhuPei), have decided to get the unit of the week back up and running.

Anyways, this weeks topic is the Dread Knight, how do you use the big tin man, what equipment do you run, do you leg it into trouble or do you prefer traversing the warp to arrive on your opponents door step?

As always I will have the first word:

The only time I like to run DKs is in my Terminator lists, thats correct.. terminators not Paladins I like to saturate the field with as many 2+/5++ as possible, it makes for an interesting list and quite fun and a little challenging not having much long range anti-tank. My preferable layout is Heavy Incinerator+Sword if equiped with the Personal Teleporter, and Heavy Incinerator+Heavy Psycanon if walking. Out of the available CC weaponry available, I prefer to use the sword as my DKs more often than not get into combat with sizeable units. Dual Fists for +1A or a Hammer for S10 are both cheap and fairly reliable for taking out walkers/tanks.

Post Away.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trouble

I have used my dual dreadknights a couple times and they only did okay. Since I am starting to feel like a leper with my grey knights I have started to use less reliable units. Enter the dreadknight! I have been using incinerator great sword and teleporter. Been thinking about dropping the teleporter and deepstriking in. While less mobile I believe the save in points will be well worth it and help them do their job without dying horribly to anything that ignores armor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thank you DeathPoke.

In my view, the personal teleporter is almost a must have for me. It just offers so much tactical flexability - Mind you, this comes from the background of running a very immobile Paladin army, where any flexability and agility is a massive boon. I run the common heavy incinerator and teleporter combo. Its massive fun to teleport behind a tank and watching the person decide whether to turn the tanks around to shoot it, or try and ignore it.

Does anybody see the point of getting a gatling Psilencer? It seems to be a bit of a waste compared to the other choices. I have tried making it work as a rear armour glancer, an anti infantry unit and even against demons, but it just seems too useless to work - especially compared to the other guns.

Zhu

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

@ZhuPei - Stacking wounds onto MC High toughness Daemons is about the only time I can see the Gatling Psilencer making an impact in a game... Even if you tried to use it as a AV10 glancer, I believe its AP- so therefore the most you could possibly hope for would be a few weapon destroyed results?

@undeadsoldier - I know where you are coming from mate, I generally run a Crowe/Purifier list that has become a taboo army for my local game club (no1 wants to play it *sad face*), so I decided to run Paladins - that was a bigger mistake! I cant even stomach playing Pallys anymore 0% fun factor *thumbs down,* so now i run a bit of a mixed bag for fun games, hence the Terminator list with DKs (inplace of Psyflemen), leaves you at a disadvantage model count-wise, and gives your opponent something they can actually kill... it is actually quite enjoyable ~.O

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Personal Teleporter is a must. Regardless of how else I may kit them out if I don't have the points for a PT then I just don't take them! I would say my favourite kit out is sword and Heavy Psycannon, it gives the most flexability. If I want him for vehicle hunting when I know there is heavy armour I will kit it out with a daemon hammer. More often than not though the Dreadknight is something I take if I have the points and can't quite afford or need a landraider so it's not something I use often.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I like to keep them cheap with an incinerator and fists for 160 points. Adding a sword might be reasonable but a teleporter as well and the thing becomes a real target worth the enmy's time taking down. I use the thing more like a babysitter to my GKSS units able to deal with swarms, scouts and pathfinders in cover or flat out light skimmers. It can also wade into combats nearby to tie things down or tip the ballance. I have used the gatling Psilencer too and quite like it. 12 shots means it will kill 1.3 marines a turn and by the third shot will have made its points back.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeathPoke View Post
    @undeadsoldier - I know where you are coming from mate, I generally run a Crowe/Purifier list that has become a taboo army for my local game club (no1 wants to play it *sad face*), so I decided to run Paladins - that was a bigger mistake! I cant even stomach playing Pallys anymore 0% fun factor *thumbs down,* so now i run a bit of a mixed bag for fun games, hence the Terminator list with DKs (inplace of Psyflemen), leaves you at a disadvantage model count-wise, and gives your opponent something they can actually kill... it is actually quite enjoyable ~.O
    You seem surprised people don't want to play against purifier spam, why exactly? purifiers are plain broken, you should never be able to use a whole list, mixed bag lists are the best as far as I'm concerned, only lost to one GK player so far with mine (and I have beaten his Draigo win 4 times now lol).

Dreadknights with teleports and scout are evil (via a GM), 42" charge, very hard to get away from, great if your playing against someone with vindicators (or similar weapons), can usually take them out turn one, if they don't get the charge then it has forces you opponent to position them as far as possible away from you army, in the cash of vindicators it simply means you stopped it shooting for a turn, win win really

Why would you give a dreadknight anything other than a greatsword, even for tank hunting? S10 or rerolls to hit, round and armour pen? I really can't see the point in the hammer, teleport, greatsword and incinerator and you golden
    Last edited by HappyJim; February 28th, 2012 at 22:52.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

You seem surprised people don't want to play against purifier spam, why exactly? purifiers are plain broken, you should never be able to use a whole list
    Not suprised at all mate, just sad that I cant use my favourite army

Dreadknights with teleports and scout are evil (via a GM), 42" charge,
    I was under the impression that you could not use the shunt move during scout moves? Im sure it got FAQ'd?

Why would you give a dreadknight anything other than a greatsword, even for tank hunting? S10 or rerolls to hit, round and armour pen? I really can't see the point in the hammer, teleport, greatsword and incinerator and you golden
    Point restrictions and nothing else, if you cant squeeze that extra 15pts, you will usually settle for S10

-Poke-

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    163 (x3)

Just finished this guy in time for this conversation! I use two dreadknights both kitted out with sword, heavy incinerator, and shunt pack. They are just really fun to play with!
    dreadknight painted.jpg

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

Great work!!

Have some rep

-Poke-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast