1500pt Deathwing tourney help!! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Deathwing tourney help!!

Ok I have been playing 40k for many years now and have recently bought my friends deathwing army. But I need help making a 1500pt list for a local tourney. I have 2 lists and not sure if either are an edfective option Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    The list:
    Belial. 130
    LC

Term squad 1 250
    3x TH/SS
    2x LC
    1 Apothecary

Term squad 2 235
    4x TH/SS
    1x TH/SS+CML

Term squad 3. 235
    4x TH/SS
    1x TH/SS+CML

Term squad 4. 235
    4x TH/SS
    1x TH/SS+CML

Land Raider Crusader. 250

2x Landspeeder Typhoon. 150

Total 1485

The 2nd list drops the Land Raider adds in another squad of terms with same load out and a deathwing banner for a total of 1490pts.

I have also been playing with the idea of maximizing wound allocation and making it a more shooing army but thought I'd start with these 2 lists first. Thanks again

Last edited by GreenMachine32; March 1st, 2012 at 15:26.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

I'd definitely drop the Raider for another Deathwing Squad - I'd also see about getting a CML into the lead DW squad, instead of the apothecary. I think the extra pair of missiles per turn over a game would prove to be more useful.

Also, shenanigans with wound allocation are nothing but gimmicks - this list is basically a giant "screw you now deal with this"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I just looked when you said that and i want to include a CML instead of a banner. Same point cost overall. My concern is mobility. Do the deathwing have enough mobility with the LRC. Not being argumentative, just trying to get a better understanding of how the DW play.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

With a deathwing list like this, the tactics are completely different from what you'd expect from a normal mech list. You want to spread your army out across the field, with each unit roughly 8 or 10 inches apart and slowly advance while firing missiles upfield until you make contact. Against highly mobile armies you'll want to leave a squad or to in the backfield to cover against fast skimmers just zipping in behind your front lines, and similar shenanigans. The same thing goes with outflankers and the like.

You're basically a slow but unstoppable juggernought of death and destruction - you need to think, plan, and play that way. If you can corner someone, you WILL rip them to shreds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooo I like the way that sounds. :-). What about DWA?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

I wouldn't bother - the Deepstriking rules are too unreliable for mass usage unless you've got special rules that let you land safely - it's why DoA lists work fairly well.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Watchwood, we do have a special rule. Ravenwing bikes have teleport homers.

If you want to invest in a splash of ravenwing, DWA can be very effective. For <200 points you get three regular bikes with two meltaguns and an attack bike with multimelta. Then put three squads of dearhwing in reserve and DWA two of them. Since the bikes then go on to be suicide melta units, I recommend that the third reserve squad walks on. Just make sure that if you're going second, the bikes get out of LOS as best they can using the scout move, since they can't turbo-scout. If you do go that route, and your metagame includes guard, orks, nids, eldar, or anyone else who really doesn't like a heavy flamer to the face on turn one, consider taking one on a DWA squad. Deepstriking without scatter on turn one and immediately laying down a flame template has a certain psychological effect!

I wouldn't take the land raider. I myself play with three of them, but I'd never take just one.
    Last edited by Marnepup; March 5th, 2012 at 05:02.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

True, though he hasn't got any bikes in his list - just a pair of Typhoon Speeders.

I'm also not a fan of any deepstriking technique that requires you to have something else already on the ground, since units with teleport homers and equivalents tend to be something of targets in mass deepstriking armies.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

That can be a problem when playing on a billiards table, but on a board with the proper amount of terrain, a certain share of it LOS-blocking, your problem is generally going to be that hiding forces you to deepstrike a few inches out of the ideal position. I've had my telehomers shot off the board on the top of turn one exactly once... And that was on a board with little terrain when my opponent succeeded in siezing the initiative.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

The main problem about relying on Deep Strikes as the main deployment of your army is that you pretty much auto-lose the second you run into a Strike Squad focused Grey Knight army and fail to win the initiative. Even just running two Strike or Interceptor Squads and Grand Master he can Scout move and cover huge swathes of the board with his 12" radius auto-mishap-bubble. If he runs a list similar to latest Dark Sun GT winner (6 Strike Squads), then he can pretty much insure that all of your Deep Strikes will end up as mishaps.
    Last edited by Polaria; March 5th, 2012 at 14:42. Reason: typo
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

+ Reply to Thread