So, how about them Nemesis Warding Staves? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, how about them Nemesis Warding Staves?

So, how about them Nemesis Warding Staves? They look kind of good on paper, and the few times I've used one, they are just a pain in the ass to my opponent. What do you guys think? Are they worth it? And which squads make the best use of them.

Also, I read the GK FAQ, and it says that a Grey Knight equipped with a Stave can use the save against All wounds inflicted whilst in combat (not just close combat wounds). Does this mean that a Librarian/Jusitcar/Knight of the Flame/ anyone else who can cast a psychic power can use the Stave's save if they perils?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

It was FAQ'd that when suffering a perils in CC you can use the staves invun save. I dont generally take one on anything other than my libby. I usually kit out my libby and I don't want him to be taken out easily by a powerfist.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I believe the staff can be used against a perils if the model is in combat at the time.

Staffs are ok to keep paladins alive from those instant killing power fists. Swords of course are free and give a reasonable 4+ so they are better on normal termies. Giving staffs to GKSS/Purifier/Interceptors costs the same as another GKSS Model so I wouldn't bother unless you like to activate force weapons or cast hammerhand a lot whilst an opponent has runes of warding or shadow in the warp etc.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I regularly run a couple of small purifier units with a stave in each, I find them fantastic for tying up elite units, or for blasting hordes with cleansing flame. They may be expensive, but like all things, if used correctly can make significant impact on the game.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

I've been running the staff on my grenade toting techmarine.

He's expensive at 145pts with all the grenades and stave, but he's been a lifesaver on many occasions, refusing to die to power klaws and agonizers alike....

I've heard about people using them on librarians to great effect, but I think its too expensive. My Librarians never cost more than175pts, and a librarian with no powers and a stave comes in 10 points more than that! i could maybe see if you were going to spend the points on the extra mastery level for the librarian, and a few powers, but still a 200+point 2 wound T4 character that only has a 2++ in cc? doesn't sound so great to me...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52 (x1)

I was running Staves on my 5-6 Man purifier squads, if the squad made it to combat the staff frustraed my opponent. More times then not my opponent would shoot the heck out of the squad, they would be the last 1 to get a wound, but that would be the wound i would fail.

As far back in Hammer and Anvil as I can go.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NekhraRises View Post
    I've been running the staff on my grenade toting techmarine.

He's expensive at 145pts with all the grenades and stave, but he's been a lifesaver on many occasions, refusing to die to power klaws and agonizers alike....
    I do this as well in my Inquisition army, it's absolutely life-saving when you need that extra Hammerhand and you're up against things like Runes of Warding. A 2++, even with re-rolled successes, is still very reliable!

Quote Originally Posted by NekhraRises View Post
    I've heard about people using them on librarians to great effect, but I think its too expensive...still a 200+point 2 wound T4 character that only has a 2++ in cc? doesn't sound so great to me...
    I can see why someone would do this, but given the Libby's IC status, he'd be the obvious choice to pick out in combat. And we all know how often we fail those "invincible" 2+ saves... Maybe in a huge game, but otherwise the good ol' NFS should do the trick.
    Tau Empire - 4000 Points: 23W/6D/0L - Ko'vash Shi, Tau'va!
    Inquisition - 2250 Points: 9W/2D/0L - They are the eye that sleepeth not.
    Necrons - 3000 Points: 13W/0D/0L - Death stands above me, whispering low...

+ Reply to Thread