What is the best way of beating this 1750 pt Deathwing list with Black Templars? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

7 (x1)

What is the best way of beating this 1750 pt Deathwing list with Black Templars?

Pretty soon I will be having my third 1750 pt match with my friendly Nemesis at my local GW, and having lost the first and drawn the second time I feel inclined to go for the win by taking the most competitive list possible.

He always takes this list:

Deathwing Squad of 5 with the 1+ A banner and an Apothecary
    Deathwing Squad of 5
    10 Scouts
    Land Raider Crusader
    Land Raider
    Venerable MM Dreadnought with Drop Pod

So far I have drafted this list:

Marshall with Combi Melta, Melta bombs, Power Weapon, Holy Orb of Antioch, attached to either Crusader Squad -125 points
    Emperors Champion with AACNMTC, attached to the Assault Terminators -140 pts
    7 Assault Terminators in an LRC, all with Furious Charge- 708 pts
    Venerable Dreadnought with MM and Tank Hunter (A taste of his own medicine) -140 pts
    2 Crusader Squads with Plasma Cannon, Melta Gun -260 pts
    Attack Bike Squadron, 3 bikes all with Multi Melta's -195 pts
    Command Squad with 2 Melta Guns and a Power Fist Sergeant. -140 pts ((Put near either of the Crusader Squads to make him think twice about catching them off guard)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Things I am not sure about taking:
    • The Bikes. I am not sure if they are worth the points.
    • The Command Squad, partly because it doesn't sound too competitive.

Last edited by Sharpie; March 7th, 2012 at 23:34.

2. Remove Advertisements

Victoria, TX
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

42 (x1)

if you drop the command squad and bikes you can get a decent sized terminator squad with multiple CML's and tank hunters for taking care of all the vehicles early while providing a solid moving fire base for contesting objectives. the bonus is BT do this best due to the higher amount of CML per squad and tank hunters.
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

28 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

I'd make the dreddy a hellfire tank hunter, then keep him far from the rest of your vehicles. He's going to be target one for the DA meltanought if you equip him that way, so you get the best of both worlds. He gets one shot with his MM, and if you survive, you get two shots back. Even if you lose that fight, he's out of position to do anything else, and he can't arrive before turn two, though three is the norm. I dunno about going that insanely overkilly on antitank, though. Tanks make up less than half of his points, and don't score. Focus on being able to kill a tank per turn, and put the rest of your effort into killing termies...for which the CML is just plain terrible.
    Last edited by Marnepup; March 5th, 2012 at 02:31.

7 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

To be honest I would run a drop pod list, a few dreads with m-meltas, a sacrificial crusader squad or 2 with melt/MM, and a few plasma crusader squads, backed up by a few Speeders (as I fail to see much in his lst that can take them at range) should do the trick, just be careful with pod placement to help block his raiders and assualts and you will be set.

+ Reply to Thread