Your preferred codex for a dread list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Best Dreadnought Codex

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vanilla Marines - Traditional Dread

21 39.62%
  • Blood Angels - Variety Pack Dread

22 41.51%
  • Space Wolves - Boss Dread

3 5.66%
  • Grey Knights - Super Dread

6 11.32%
  • Other

1 1.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Your preferred codex for a dread list

It seems that all codexes have dread options, some more than others. But let's say that you're putting together a dreadnought-oriented list, where dreadnoughts are the crux of your army and the rest of the army supports them . Which codex would you chose for creating a list that's both fun to play, and fun to play against?

OR... what other options are there? Fast moving dreadnoughts using an Imperial Guard codex for count-as sentinels? What else have you seen?

For the sake of being universally accepted, I would like to exclude Forgeworld rules, and just stick to base codexes (sorry IA fans ).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

From an ideology point of view I like the space wolf variant. The fluffiness of having great warriors incarcerated within a dreadnought out of the desire to continue their epic saga appeals to me. Sure some armies get super duper flying psychic dreadnoughts... but nothing lookds cooler than the space wolf dreads - expecially the special character one (whose name escapes me).

Also of not is the Dark Angels ones... they're really good support for a deathwing army, as you can base you units around them as mobile strong points in your line.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

I voted for the Vanilla/traditional dread list. I think that a major benefit to the vanilla list is the Ironclad dread and Vulkan. Dropping 2 dreads in your opponents lines with TL-Melta and TL-Heavy Flamers (due to Vulkan) is very nasty, and with AV 13 front/side they are a quite a bit harder to pop then a standard av12. The Seismic Hammer is also very nasty against vehicles when it charges. And if you have some longer ranged shooting in support from either Rifleman Dreads or say a Venerable with Assault Cannon and DCCW moving in for support it can cause some real hesitation for your opponent.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

If you intend to build a so-called "six-dreadnought-list" or pretty much anything where the dreadnoughts are more than 50% of your army, then the other codices have absolutely nothing over Vanilla. Its not just about the Ironclads, but the fact that the SM codex has three different types of dreadnoughts to choose from. Other codices mentioned only have two each.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    If you intend to build a so-called "six-dreadnought-list" or pretty much anything where the dreadnoughts are more than 50% of your army, then the other codices have absolutely nothing over Vanilla. Its not just about the Ironclads, but the fact that the SM codex has three different types of dreadnoughts to choose from. Other codices mentioned only have two each.
    Seconded that, master of the forge(for the six dreadnaughts) and Vulkan( for the mastercraftyness) makes a very very nasty list.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Wow, while I thought the Vanilla dex would be a contender, I didn't realize it would have such a strong following. I guess I'm always making up my lists for 1500psi so I never really considered having a second HQ in there. Between Vulkan and MotF, they'd take up nearly 1/5 of my points.

Think it'd still be a viable option to take Vulkan at that point level? Or is he only good once you reach the 2000 point mark?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I voted Blood Angels for three reasons.

1. Don't need a Master of Forge.

2. Variety. The Librarian Furioso and the magna-grapple deserve special mention.

3. Better support options. Storm Ravens can transport Dreads and Assault Squads make excellent Drop Pod troops. If you prefer to walk then Razorbacks and Dreads go together like peanut butter and jelly. The one is faster and the other can handle terrain, and they complement each other in close combat.

In fact, my BA army actually is a Dreadnought-themed Pod list. It's fun and will hold against all opponents except Nidzilla. (Haven't tried them against Dark Eldar or Necrons yet.) It usually has 4 Dreads at 1500 points and 7 at 2000.

Think it'd still be a viable option to take Vulkan [& MotF] at [1500] point level?
    Nah. Marine BS is already pretty good and Dread heavy flamers are situational these days. By the time you include 4-6 Dreads and enough scoring troops, there won't be room for a second HQ. You could run Vulkan and 3 Dreads, though.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Nah. Marine BS is already pretty good and Dread heavy flamers are situational these days. By the time you include 4-6 Dreads and enough scoring troops, there won't be room for a second HQ. You could run Vulkan and 3 Dreads, though.
    Sure you can... It may not be the best but it would be fun.

HQ:
    Vulkan -***
    MotF -***

Troops:
    5x Sniper Scouts -**
    5x Sniper Scouts -**
    5x BP/CCW Scouts -**
    10x Tac Marines w/Flamer, Multi-Melta, Combi-Melta, Drop Pod -215 (Vulkan and MotF join here :-) Vanilla Pods hold 12)

Elite:
    Ironclad Dread w/H. Flamer, Meltagun, Drop Pod -180
    Ironclad Dread w/H. Flamer, Meltagun, Drop Pod -180

Heavy:
    Dreadnought w/Multi-Melta, Missile Launcher -115

Fast:
    Land Speeder Storm w/Multi-Melta -65 (for the BP/CCW Scouts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furioso dreadnoughts have almost as good armor as ironclads and blood talons are insanely good. I voted for blood angels cause dropping dreads and assault squads kill. All though space marines do it well I just love the look on guys faces when you rip apart there death star or their ork shoota mob.

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually think its a close one between BA and Grey knights, I'd say generally Grey knight dreads are better because they have fortitude, still have access to stormravens but you have a better choice of HQ, Coteaz if you want the cheap HQ, cheap troop option, GM is you want to make some of them scoring, and then you have the riflemen, BA dreads are certainly very good but I just think certain minor things tip it in favor of the Grey knights.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast