Remnants. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remnants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Remnants. often overlooked when conscturcing your list. but they do offer an interesting choice for the IG commander.

basically a 5 man special weapon. or that's how most people use them.
    5 men and one meltagun/flamer/plasmagun etc...

but is that all they are?

is there more to do with this ***** child of a infantry squad?

to start the ball rolling i'll give a few examples on how i personally use these lil guys.

1. 5 man Meltagun. aka the tank hunters. since i like to use infantry based heavy weapons, my line squads tend to do alot of sitting/shooting. however, having a meltagun remnant frees up your responibility to the HW. these guys can run up in cover and act as a good vehcile popper/deterent. they can also be deepstriked if you want to get a meltagun in those "hard to reach places". and for 40 points, it's not going to break the bank.

2. Road Bump. as every IG commander knows, there are times when your lil guys have to "give their lives to the emperor". but the key is to do it in a fashion which benifits you the most... a 10 man squad w/ HW (&SW) costs a lil too much to act solely as a road bump. but a 36 point 5 man squad w/ a flamer fits the bill of "throw away unit" nicely. but what does a "Road Bump" do you ask? simple. they are there to slow the enemy down. run up, attack, do as much damage as they can, and then be assaulted. but they should only be ~12" away from your lines when this happens... the result will be that they hopefully will be whipped out in the ensuing CC. thus leaving an enemy squad stranded in rapid fire range...

3. 5 man plasmagun squad. for some reason, SMurfs don't like plasmaguns...? infact they seem to allocate unusal amount of attention to BS3 5+ plasmaguns.. i know it's odd.. i mean half the time they'll miss! but a small remnant w/plasma can actual divert attention. use these guys to attempt to flank your opponent and cause him to spend some time dealing with them. he'll be torn... shoot at a pathetic lil 5 man squad or shoot at a 10 man squad w/ a HW? you'd be surprised at how many times this squad will cause your oppoent to forget that he could be shooting at your command squad, or other higher priorities...

well, any other thoughts on this unit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Dawn Under Heaven Triumph Of Man's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    -170 (x0)

That's a really good idea, although the SM players fears aren't unwarented. Any termie unit he's got he has every reason to fear plasma. Plasma is the scariest thing on earth for a terminator, added with the fact that it can rapidfire on the run now.

Karmoon
    ... only triumph could turn pooing his pants into a good thing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally, i dont get the organization for remnants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by m&ms@Oct 24 2004, 09:35
    personally, i dont get the organization for remnants.
    [snapback]236620[/snapback]
    It's simple, really. For every platoon of Infantry at a command squad + 2 squads at full strength, you may include another squad at less strength (5-9 troops including Sarge). The rules for points and options are in the Codex listed under Special Rules in the Infantry Platoon section.
    A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow.
    The Tactica Imperium

<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=22782' target='_blank'>The Kalabin 3rd and Last</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

Remnants are awesome in a drop troop army. Just take a bunch of remnant squads with melta guns and nothing else. Then use a bunch of SW squads with meltas and demo charges. When a handfull of 5 man IG squads start jumping behind your lines with a lot of anti tank / anti marine firepower, it can get really bad for your opponent.

Anyhow, that&#39;s about the only way that I use these guys, but yes, they are great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually just use the remnants as "assault fodder". Just keep moving them forward and make enemy deal with them.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a related strategy note:

In Cityfight, you can split your 10 man squads into two 5 man squads, with the drawback that the 5 man squad without the Sgt. gets a negative morale modifier.

Do you have to deploy them as 10 man squads before they can seperate?

My thinking is, I could take drop troops and drop twice as many (half) squads. You could drop the good half (w/ the Sgt and the fun guns) in cover, and drop the crap half in front of ... well, anything.
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

+ Reply to Thread