How to advise new marine players on purchases (blood angels/space wolves) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to advise new marine players on purchases (blood angels/space wolves)

So I have two friends who are interested in playing warhammer. One has played a game and is learning the rules, the other is interested and once he plays a game I think he'll be hooked. One is interested in making a Space Wolves army, the other a Blood Angels army. I've been playing for a while now but I dont know these armies other then from playing against them. What should I advise them to purchase? Both are looking at the battleforces at the moment. Neither of them have alot of extra money so I dont think their armies will be going above 750 points anytime soon either. Also if they get battleforces how should they assemble them?

any advise/help would be great

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

If they're really tight on cash (and don't mind some work) tell them to pick up some used models and refurbish them themselves.

Also, the first place that just about anyone should start is a codex.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Always, always, always get a Codex first. Then read it. Once you've read it you should have at least some idea one what models and units strike your fancy. Then you probably have a much better idea on what you like to assemble first
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood angels - Get some death company cause you will find using them is fun

Space wolves - HQ, 2 troops and a Heavy support to start and don't go over board with the wolf guard until you have abit more cash to make the army bigger

Basically starting players if they just want to play I would advise building an army to the recommended specs to get it legal and on the table and build from there, of course they should read the codex and find if they like the way the armies look and play first, no point in starting space wolves then finding you like Black Templars better. Also I agree with Watchwood, find some second hand models (If so ones that are painted as your chapter of choice to a decent standard, if this is possible) and build from there. I probably wouldn't go for characters if I was going down this path, so basically troops, fast attack, elites are up for grabs but Heavys and HQ's buy yourself from the store that way you can choose what the more "Characterful" models are to your standards

+ Reply to Thread