Sythes Of The Emperor Info ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all
    I am repainting some marines I got , and they have ended up with a nice looking Yellow and Black paint job.
    Are they about the become Sythes of the Emperor ? Or should I invent my own chapter ?
    Any info on the Sythes ?

I'm very new to 40k sorry .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to help by filling you in on the Scythes of the Emperor, which I hope would help you decide whether or not to make your marines part of the chapter.

To give you a little framework, I'm not exactly sure where and when the Scythes were first introduced, but I clearly remember them to be in the spotlight in a game called Advanced Space Crusade around 10 years ago. Advanced Space Crusade was a boxed set much like Space Hulk, featuring Space Marine Scouts investigating the innards of a Tyranid bio-ship. If you do a web search for the game, you may come up with a few stories taken from its rulebooks.

The significance of that game was that it introduced Tyranids and the early army list started around the same time. The Scythes were one of the very first chapters that confronted them and were decimated; there is another one or two that had a similar situation. The Tyranids were a new enemy; while their Genestealers were a known threat, no one had really confronted their masters before.

The sacrifice of the Scythes helped the Imperium understand the new terror. The consequence was that they currently have enough living marines for maybe one or two companies. However, they still have many Terminator suits and vehicles. If you have a small army of few troops, but want to include more Terminators and Dreadnoughts or tanks, the Scythes' background would be fitting.

My strongest memory about the Scythes comes from a short story in the Advanced Space Crusades rulebook. It was one of those one or two page blurbs you find that gives a little background to the setting. The story describes how some Ultramarines recover a surviving Scythe marine from a battle with the Tyranids. The Scythe marine explains to his rescuers what happened in the battle and the horrors his troops faced. At the time the Ultramarines found him unconscious among Tyranid and marine corposes, the Scythe marine had his hand gripped around the chapter standard so tightly that they had to pry it out of his fingers. What struck me then was the ending note, that despite the tragedy the Scythe marine made a vow that the chapter would rise again.

Anyway, I hope to have at least dropped a few key phrases that would help you search online for more sources. I want to mention that for a few Golden Demon events, there were a number of Scythes that represented scarred veterans and dioramas that depicted the desperate last stands made by the chapter (I think it was because the Scythes represented the first time that Space Marines, humanity's elite warriors, faced impossible situations since the Horus Heresy).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    Thats is a great start , I will keep researching them , but it looks good , a long lost chapter rises again ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by 9 Iron@Oct 24 2004, 165
    The consequence was that they currently have enough living marines for maybe one or two companies.Â* However, they still have many Terminator suits and vehicles.Â* If you have a small army of few troops, but want to include more Terminators and Dreadnoughts or tanks, the Scythes' background would be fitting.

[snapback]236935[/snapback]
    You must have missed the fluff where the Veteran Company along with its terminators was completely wiped out in a rearguard action of Sotha's orbital defenses while the rest of the chapter tried to get the planet evacuated.

Chapter Master Thorcyra and the rest of the chapter, except for a handful of marines, were destroyed in a last stand at Giant's Coffin on the death world of Miral prime.

They now have probably 100-200 or so marines, some of whom were Scouts that escaped Sotha and Miral, and are now trying desperately to rebuild their chapter with only a few meagere gene-seed resourses and some military equipment that was found aboard some of their surviving fleet ships.

They will, I believe, rise again.

They were also heavily involved in the Damoceles crusade against the Tau before being withdrawn due to the threat of the Tyranids. That was their first real action besides some anti-pirate activity (eldar raiders?), since they were a recently founded chapter assigned to the Eastern Fringe.

A real cool site can be found at The Scythes of the Emperor, it's got lots of background (built upon GW fluff) and great paint jobs, as well as a battle report! It used to have a couple of batreps, but when SJ updated the site earlier this year, he only added one back in...a shame...the other batrep was against a Khorne army....
    Purge all the heretics,
    Kill the alien scum,
    Suffer not the unclean to live,
    And have a beer when you're done.

+ Reply to Thread