AT Firepower - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AT Firepower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    51 (x1)

AT Firepower

Hey Guys,

So I've been starting an Imperial Guard army for a while now and after building a number of models have become stuck. I run a mechanized list (surprise I know) and I want to keep all the infantry inside vehicles.

So the question: Where does/should the Anti-Tank firepower come from in this kind of list WITHOUT using Vendettas?

Thanks,
    Aemilius

Space Marines are like gravity. It's not just a good idea. It's the Law.
    -Aemilius

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Well for long range you can use the russes, the battle cannon alone can take care of light vehicles easily enough, so long as it hits that is. But I'd take a couple of chimeltas (Veterans, 3 melta guns and a chimera) for 155pts, 170 for extra armour on the chimera. Get up close and unload. They should be able to take care of any vehicle that your opponent throws at you so long as you can get them close enough.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I use multilasers, hydra autocannons and a Russ with battlecannon and lascannon for ranged AT and melta guns for close in AT.

I look at it like this:

If there's a lot of armour it's probaby light and the autocannons can take it out. Since I have scout sentinels and stuff coming in off the side of the table I can easily get side/rear hits and massed ST6 is just nasty to AV10/11.

The heavier AV12 it where the autocannons and battlecannon/lascannon russ shines. They can handle Stormravens/Vendettas/Chimeras pretty well.
    The Vendetta/Stomraven is especially funny since the battle cannon can barely miss!

There's no good way to kill AV13/14 at range. Not even with Vendettas. For that you need melta guns. I have two squads of stormtroopers packing 2x melta guns who ride in chimeras. They can outflank which pressures the opponent's deployment. With the other melta guns in the list it's not hard to get in close and blast these things to bits.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You should look at Hellhounds. A few standard Hounds with hull multimeltas are great in Chimera-heavy lists. The variants are more situational but have their uses, too.

Manticores and Basilisks can also crack armor. Enemy Land Raiders and Monoliths are big enough targets that even indirect barrages don't miss often.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

They "can" but they probably won't. The manticore is the most viable of these options but even the manticore is really unreliable. ST 9, even with two chances to pen, only pens AV14 on a 6. Even if you hit it's not fantastic odds. Then you need to overcome the dumb damage chart. At least melta guns gain +1 for being AP1...

Considering the expense per shot of the high strength ordnance options I wouldn't really be relying on them.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really want to destroy some big targets at long range you should try Medusa with Bastion-breacher shells.
    You get the most powerfull AT power at range (1 str 10 with two dices for penetration and ap1 with small blast) except Vortex or Destroyer weapons but that is Apocalypse...
    You will say that Medusa have low armor and is open-topped, but with so many Chimeras you should easily hide it behind av12/14 wall.

+ Reply to Thread