Drop Pods Vs Rhinos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop Pods Vs Rhinos

I was just curious when I should take drop pods and when I take Rhinos. I tend to take a solid core of 2 full tac squads at 1000 and 3 st 1500. I have 3 rhino's and a razorback but I was thinking of getting some drop pods. I have found the Rhino's are a touch slow to get to objectives. I was thinking 1 unit and 1 dread in a drop pod and 2 units in rhino's but I know very little about sm tactics. I always use 2x Predators with AC/LC (My favorite unit) and I try to use a whirlwind. My 1000 point list is:

Libarian

10 man Tac in Rhino
    10 man Tac in Rhino
    5 man Tac in Razorback
    Predator AC/LC
    Predator AC/LC
    Whirlwind

It seems to work well but I have 2 dreads and would not mind moving up to 1500 and well any hints on who to give drop pods and how to use them would be awesome!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetahfurry View Post
    I was just curious when I should take drop pods and when I take Rhinos. I tend to take a solid core of 2 full tac squads at 1000 and 3 st 1500. I have 3 rhino's and a razorback but I was thinking of getting some drop pods. I have found the Rhino's are a touch slow to get to objectives. I was thinking 1 unit and 1 dread in a drop pod and 2 units in rhino's but I know very little about sm tactics. I always use 2x Predators with AC/LC (My favorite unit) and I try to use a whirlwind. My 1000 point list is:

Libarian

10 man Tac in Rhino
    10 man Tac in Rhino
    5 man Tac in Razorback
    Predator AC/LC
    Predator AC/LC
    Whirlwind

It seems to work well but I have 2 dreads and would not mind moving up to 1500 and well any hints on who to give drop pods and how to use them would be awesome!

Thanks!
    That is a very challenging question. Many people will tell you that in order to use drop pods, you need to have an all-drop-pod force. I disagree. I have used anywhere from 1 to 5 drop pods, usually 2 or 3, for years. An odd number seems to be best. A dreadnought (or 2) are excellent drop pod choices. They can distract your opponent while the rest of your army closes in. For a while, in my Vulkan list, I ran an Ironclad Dreadnought in a drop pod, and 6 sternguard with 2 multi-meltas and PF, in a drop pod and they both came down turn 1 together for mutual support and to wreck vehicles. My third drop pod had a 10-man tactical squad with Melta gun, PF, and multi-melta to come down later in the game for extra support where needed and to grab objectives. I also fielded a 10-man tactical squad in a rhino, a vindicator, and a landraider with TH/SS terminators inside and all three of these vehicles would race forward on turn 1 while my first 2 drop pods were punching the opponent in the face. I won tournaments with it.

One Dreadnought in a drop pod coming down alone is easy prey for your opponent. All your units require support and this is no exception. I really like having a tactical squad in a pod in reserve to come down late where I may need extra help.

The downside of drop pods are several:
    1- you may come in piecemeal
    2- re-deployment is tricky
    3- your squads are very close where they can be shot with rapid-fire weapons, or a torrent of fire, and are subject to heinous assaults on the turn they land.
    4- You may start out with much fewer points on the table than your opponent.

The upside includes, but is not limited to:
    1- you get to place what essentially amounts to terrain
    2- there is no place on the table you can't get to on Turn 1
    3- You can put them on objectives and at the very least they can contest
    4- Armor 12 is nothing to sneeze at, and may keep the melta guns off your more worthwhile assets for a turn or 2
    5- They can be a psychological weapon
    6- Half your drop pods, rounded up, will come in on Turn 1
    7- Due to the Drop Pod Assault rule, it is a much safer way to deep-strike than any other. The only way to lose the unit is if you scatter off the table. This is easily avoided.

I hope this helps a bit.
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Also if you make sure one or two of the drop pods arriving on turn 1 have locator beacons then from turn 2 onwards you can place the rest within 6" of the beacons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the list I am going to run. I just need the drop pods I have everything else. Good by 90 dollars. Tell me what you think. Vulkan will go with the group in the drop pod. Twin linking the multimeltas help and his flamer is mean. The 2 squads in Rhino's have the mobility for objectives and the 1 in the drop pod goes a turn after the dreads to contest/hold a vital spot.

HQ:

Forgefather Vulkan 190

Elites:

Dread in Droppod W/MultiMelta 140

Dread in Droppod W/MultiMelta 140

Troops:

Marine Squad W/ Flamer/Missile Launcher and Sergent W/ Power fist in Drop pod 235

Marine Squad W/ Flamer/Missile Launcher and Sergent W/ Power fist in Rhino 235

Marine Squad W/ Flamer/Missile Launcher and Sergent W/ Power fist in Rhino 235

Heavy:

Predator W/ AC/LC 120

Predator W/ AC/LC 120

Whirlwind 85

Total 1500 points
    Last edited by Cheetahfurry; April 4th, 2012 at 14:45.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

That list should work well is most situations. I like it! I run a list with the same general theme but with some differences and it works well. Once you get a game or 2 in let us know how it goes.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I agree it looks solid. Hate to see the Librarian go but Vulkan is a solid choice, too.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Libarian is nice but by adding Vulkan the 2x Dread heavy meltas become twin linked, the flamers become twin linked, I got from a 3+ to a 2+/3+ save, get a heavy flamer, and an ALWAYS str 6 weapon vs having to test and use a libarian power.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I had a game today and it was vs space wolves. I have to say I got my butt kicked royally. He ran 2x long fangs with 5 launchers and a sergent and 1 unit with heavy bolters plus 30 other guys in transports (In 4 groups of 5 and 1 of 10) and he royally shot up my guys. Since he only had transports my Multimelta drop pods were a waste of points but I did take out 2 units with the dreads so they were ok. I did not have enough anti-troop for an army with nearly 50 marines and no tanks other then transports. I have to say I do not like space wolves! The only thing was he only had a few combie meltas so if I had taken a land raider his army would have done pretty much nothing.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Sounds like the guy min-maxed his list to counter mech opponents. If he spammed wolf standards, too, then you were facing a powergamer and shouldn't feel bad about losing.

A strategy that might help in a rematch, assuming he castled up tight and waited for you, is the "firebreak". Place your initial Pods between your forces and his, and dismount the passengers on the far side out of charge distance. (Run them if you have to.) This forced him to expend a turn of movement and shooting to clear your blocking Pods while your armor advances. (If he shoots your Rhinos instead then they'll have cover saves without the need for smoke...and your nearby forces will be undamaged.)

The third Pod will arrive about the time your Rhinos catch up with your Pod troops. Attacking now pits your full might against his...and he can't reach your home objective.

If he sees what's happening and tries to strike first then your landed Pod troops will be in position to get charges. He limited his options by setting up only a min-maxed gunline and preemptive-strike Grey Hunters. Those are admittedly excellent options but, once you find ways to violate his assumptions, he'll be in no position to recover.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far every wolves player I have seen plays 3 units of longfangs no matter what. I checked the codex and really you can't beat 5 heavy weapons on 6 guys for the cost of a tank. We can take the same as vanilla marines except it's 20 points more, 2 guys less, and 1 weapon less. I am thinking I could run a land raider instead of one of my other tanks. They are pretty sick against str 8 since you can only glance.

+ Reply to Thread