Librarium Online Forums banner

Predator Vs. Vindicator

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Guthbrand 
#1 ·
I was thinking of fielding two of either of these vehicles; however, I am unsure which one would be the most bang for the buck. Personally I was thinking the predators, but any opinions are appreciated.

#2 ·
Though they are a HS choice,their roles are pretty much different.

The vindi is a 'in your face' weapon and requires finesse to use.Its blast weapon with high str and ap can be used both for crowd control and high armor target.However its short range (relatively to other weapons) and template mean that it has a chance to scatter and do nothing or decimate an entire squad.
It can also be used to an extent against vehicles.

The pred on the other hand is a specialized piece of wargear and its effectiveness and use depends on the load out you give it.Thus it can be effective against anything depending on the upgrades you take.On the plus regardless of weapon it has longer range than the vindi meaning that it will be a little more safe.

#5 ·
i'd go with the safe option

The options available to a predator mean that it can offer modest anti troop support or target enemy vehicles. for me the vindicator is a bit of a one trick pony and if you consider that with lascannons you're getting longer range, two shots at penetrating armour albeit at one less strength and you might get lucky with the autocannon, its simply a safer option.

#6 ·
Really, which to take (and in the case of predators which loadout to use) all depends on the rest of your list. The slots are called Heavy Support for a reason, as oppose to Heavy Standalones.

If your force features a lot of close-ranged units and aggressive, get-in-their-face tactics then Vindicators (two or even three) can be excellent because, well let's face it: no matter how unreliable or reliable it might be, a gun that puts out an S10 AP2 large blast is really hard to ignore no matter how much you mathhammer its importance away in your head. The damage that Vindicators can cause is second in awesomeness to the sheer amount of firepower that will be drawn away from otherwise more-vulnerable units and directed at the Vindicators. Nobody likes this tank, and firepower that would otherwise break apart Dreadnoughts, Rhinos, Razorbacks, Land Speeders and the like will instead pound away at the conspicuous assault guns crawling up the board. At the same time if you're using a long-range shooting force then your stuff is likely in cover and you need more firepower, rather than fire-magnets.

Predators, on the other hand, are firepower providers, not fire-magnets. This is especially true of the Destructor (Anti-infantry; Autocannon and Heavy Bolters), which I find to be one of the most inconspicuous tanks in the entire game. It seems to put out just enough shots to have an impact, and also seems to put out just few enough shots to not be a priority for the enemy. I've seen Destructors sit back and shoot the whole game without being molested at all. Annihilators, on the other hand, are a bit different. Sure, they're not firing some S10 AP2 big templates, but the three lascannon shots are enough to warrant anti-tank firepower to be directed at them. Some Annihilators can destroy vehicles and keep some heavy firepower busy. Worth considering are Autocannon-las-sponson Predators. I've not used them much but they look great on paper for light-medium vehicle killing. All in all predators can buff out weaknesses in the ranged firepower field for all-rounder/assault lists or can add some extra, sturdy shooting power to a ranged list.

#11 ·
For what it's worth, a single Vindicators usually serves as a fire magnet rather than a big gun. They always seem to be the first tank killed. This is useful, of course, but if you want actual performance then you'll probably need two Vindicators.

#12 ·
As said before it does depend what else is in the army. As for my personal opinion goes, I don't like the Vindi that much as you don't have to destroy it to take it out of the fight, an immobilized or weapon destroyed result will work just as well. So with the Vindi 4 of the 6 results make it pretty useless, you can't say the same for the Predator.

#13 ·
Vindicator: Fire magnet to take the heat off your rhinos/razorbacks while they get into position. Gun is unreliable but scary when it works. Scatter makes you about as accurate as an ork unless your target is really big.

Standard Predator set ups:

Predator with lascanon sponsons and TLLC or Autocanon turret: Snipe enemy armor/monstrous creatures. Much more reliable and easier to protect.

Predator with heavy bolter sponsons and autocanon: Cheap AV 13 to rush in front of your Rhinos and provide cover. Mostly used in low point games.

That's my 2 cents.

#14 ·
Predator with heavy bolter sponsons and autocanon: Cheap AV 13 to rush in front of your Rhinos and provide cover. Mostly used in low point games.
I never thought of doing this... I might try it out. I think it depends about not only what else your taking but what your playing against ie: if your up against a horde army taking 2 peds with heavy bolters and an autcannon may take prference over a vindicator or 2 or an all round lascannon pred or 2

#15 ·
Vindicators - you need a plan because their side armour is terrible, and they need to advance to fire, therefore exposiong their side armour.

Predators are very static if you want to shoot their sponsons.

In both cases the Blood Angels get fantastic versions. BA Preds rock! Otherwise I never take Preds at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.