Sm Tactical Squads How Many Sm's - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been talking to a few of the people who play Space marines locally and none of them use a 10 man squad. Most use 5 to 7 for tactical squads. Is this typical of most players?

I can see some logic behind this as each squad gets two SM with a special weapon, one from each list and a Sgt.

What do you all think is a good number for a tactical squad?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Warrior 50@Oct 25 2004, 20:35
    Been talking to a few of the people who play Space marines locally and none of them use a 10 man squad. Most use 5 to 7 for tactical squads. Is this typical of most players?

I can see some logic behind this as each squad gets two SM with a special weapon, one from each list and a Sgt.

What do you all think is a good number for a tactical squad?
    [snapback]237826[/snapback]
    I tend to use 10 men in my squads, unless I mount them in a razorback, in which case I use 6. There are a couple of reasons that I do this. 10 men can soak up a fair amount of return fire, before you need to start removing heavy weapon guys. They can also hold their own in close combat, although not as much as dedicated assault troops. Another Big reason is that massed bolter fire will kill just about anything. If something is too tough for bolters, then that is what heavy weapons are for.

Just a side note, I rarely use flamers, except against horde armies. I find a melta or plasma gun can be quite effective at picking off people at range, though the melta is more for anti tank....yesterday I had one melta guy kill an eldar hover tank (a falcon I think), a vyper jetbike, and something else (I forget what it was).

Hope this helped.

SK
    <u>Army: W/L/T</u>

<span style='color:green'>Dark Angels</span>: <span style='color:red'>20/3/0</span>
    <span style='color:gray'>Daemonhunters: </span> <span style='color:red'>Under Construction</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Minas Tirith</span> <span style='color:red'>1/0/0</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always use 10 man units. With the kind of stats and basci weapon a marines has, there&#39;s no reason to skimp&#33;
    The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

i use 10 man squads most of the time &#39;cept when fighting eldar or de. i use 5 men agaisnt them for the extra heavy weapon.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by darkreever@Oct 25 2004, 21:48
    i use 10 man squads most of the time &#39;cept when fighting eldar or de. i use 5 men agaisnt them for the extra heavy weapon.
    [snapback]237893[/snapback]

Thats a good point....I killed 9 eldar guys the other day with one plasma cannon shot :rofl:

Let that be a lesson not the bunch your guys up.
    <u>Army: W/L/T</u>

<span style='color:green'>Dark Angels</span>: <span style='color:red'>20/3/0</span>
    <span style='color:gray'>Daemonhunters: </span> <span style='color:red'>Under Construction</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Minas Tirith</span> <span style='color:red'>1/0/0</span>

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When playing &#39;assault&#39; space marines, like BA or SW, you should use 10 marines in each squad. This increases the amount of damage it can do in cc, and it&#39;s hard to kill when they&#39;re rushing in.

In &#39;normal&#39; marine armies, when tactical squads tend to stand still and shoot, I think 6-7 marines is enough. Sometimes I even use 5 (just to save points for the heavy support slots ).

As a foot note, devastator squads should be bigger (like , because you don&#39;t want you heavy weapons to get wasted in the first turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but then a devestator squad will cost about 200 points plus, so it is a bit of a waste. u want to keep your devestators behind ur lines so they cant get shot.

I noramlly use squads of about 7 or 8, so they can still lay down some fire or do some damage in close combat if they loose a couple of men.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x4)

6 is good for long range fire support. Using 5 man squads is if you&#39;re still playing 3rd edition since you need to reduce a squad below half now to make it count as a non-scoring unit. Therefore out of 6 men they need to kill 4 which can be a pain if its not an expensive unit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in all it depends on your chapter I do beleive... with a black templar army, more units means more damage... a squad of 15 can inflict mad damage to a normal squad.
    <span style='font-family:Impact'>I&#39;m the elephant under your bed... well not really but I have him tied up and I&#39;m worse...</span>
    <a href='http://www.the-waaagh.com/' target='_blank'>Waaagh&#33;&#33;&#33;</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude,

Personally, I see no reason to skimp on marines. I mean.. To concur with what some one said earlier "massed bolter fire will kill just about anything". Ive had a squad of 10 marines with all bolters except for a sarge&#39; with a melta, reduced to the sarge and 5 other men BY a leman russ, then immediately take down said leman russ in the following turn. Personally, I feel that although the SM&#39;s can be a noobish army because of its excelent balance, ((both shooty and stabby)), but if you really learn how your men work, and more importantly, the advantages of specific chapters, they can be effective in any size. I mean, 10 reg&#39;lar ol&#39; vanilla&#39;s couldnt stand a chance in CQB against a squad of 5 Dark Angels. Where as A squad of 10 vanilla&#39;s could do SERIOUS damage against as much as 2 full sized IG squads. Ofcourse, then again, it all comes down to just how lucky you are with the dice. Just cause that sniper rifle only needs a 2+ to hit doesnt mean you&#39;ll always roll 2+... -sighs in rememberance of a horrible defeat...-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast