Noob requesting some guidance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob requesting some guidance

My background: I tried putting an army together a couple of years ago but ended up giving my stuff away when I didn't have the time. I've never played the game before.

I'm thinking of putting together an Imperial Guard army. I like the idea of a horde of puny humans backed up by squads of tanks. I like the snipers and sentinels too. I haven't bought anything yet, I'm trying to plan my purchases at the moment. I'm thinking the snipers and sentinels will harass and soften the other guy while a horde or two advances with tanks blasting from the rear. Is this viable?

Do yall have any advice on how to put together an army with a unit of ratlings, a unit of sentinel scouts, 2-3 tanks and a bunch of guardsmen? Would this be a fun list to learn the game with while being able to win some games?

T(h)anks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I'm thinking the snipers and sentinels will harass and soften the other guy while a horde or two advances with tanks blasting from the rear. Is this viable?
    Absolutely! Here's a good template for you:

CCS in Chimera

Platoon with PCS in Chimera, two infantry squad with heavy weapon, Commissar.
    Identical second Platoon

Two Leman Russes, hold the sponsons for now. One should be a battle tank, the other maybe a Demolisher.

Either Ratlings or two Scout Sentinels.

That comes to about 1500 points, covers all the basics, has a lot of synergy between elements and is adaptable to our most common themed armies. It should perform well in casual tournaments and takes advantage of all IG strengths. The general strategy is to combine the infantry squads into two "blobs", use the two PCS loaded with special weapons for your primary offense, the CCS to either provide orders to the blobs or backup the PCS, and the Sentinels/ratlings on the side where they'll be a nuisance but not a real threat.

Ratlings aren't very effective at the moment but still loved by many players, and it's possible that next edition will make sniper rifles more viable. Scout Sentinels are great; read up the the outflanking rule for inspiration.

Welcome to the Guard! "That's right, son! The Imperial Guard will give you--for free--the most cost-effective body armor known to the Imperium, the most indestructible energy rifle ever made and the courage to stand your ground against the biggest cockroaches in the galaxy... Sign here, please."
    -IG Recruiter
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input.

Regarding battle tank vs demolisher, etc, what should guide choosing a particular tank configuration over another?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

with the list that Intrepid suggested, you'll probably fall below the 1000 points mark rather than 1500
    You can add 1 more tank (i usually go with 2x normal russes and 1x demolisher), a couple/three Heavy weapons squad, double the size of the platoons (from 2x squads to 4x) and give all the sarges PW.

NOW, you're at 1500 points
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I see Straken or Creed as being pretty essential to the viability of a foot list.

Creed lets you gain some mobility with his outflanking, Straken is great because he can walk up and punch things in the mouth. Both of them give your troops furious charge which boosts their close combat abilities to nearly average levels! That actually does help quite a bit when you consider the shear number of attacks large groups of guardsmen have.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

+ Reply to Thread