Might Start IG - Help :) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might Start IG - Help :)

Hey guys, Im thinking of starting a new army (play BA) and IG was in my top three. I would like to know:

1) Best models for competition
    2)tactics
    3)How to start my army if i choose IG
    4)Any 1k army lists that work well and are easy for a begginer to IG
    5)Anything else about them

That would be really helpful in my decision, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want to start IG i highley recommend it, i have an imperial guard army and am looking to sell a small portion of it would you be interested ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, I messaged you thanks

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

1) every one except conscripts
    2) drown your enemy in blood and cheap bodies
    3) A couple of battleforces and a couple of russes are a solid core
    4) see below
    5) They're the coolest of the game because they're only simple humans like you that have to face giant monsters and huge mutants or horrors you can't imagine and they still win!

Basic list for beginners

Company command squad, Company standard, 3x grenade launchers

Infantry Platoon
    -Platoon command squad, 4x flamers, chimera with multilaser and hull heavy flamer
    -Infantry Squad, Grenade launcher, Autocannon, Power weapon
    -Infantry Squad, Grenade launcher, Autocannon, Power weapon
    -Infantry Squad, Grenade launcher, Autocannon, Power weapon, Meltabomb, Commissar with power weapon
    -Heavy Weapons Squad, 3x mortars

Veterans, 3x meltaguns, chimera with multilaser and hull heavy flamer
    Veterans, 3x meltaguns, chimera with multilaser and hull heavy flamer

Leman Russ battle tank with Lascannon

This list covers a taste of every notable thing you can get in IG and i do think it is fairly competitive too!
    Basic strategy:
    combine the infantry squad in a single 30 man unit, which is stubborn, in your home objective or in cover. they will never shift it at this point limit unless they focus fire all their weapons. They will ALWAYS reach you in CnC so your power weapons will allow you to kill even a 5x basic terminator squad over 2-3 full turns
    Let the company commander sit near them, issuing the most appropriate orders (usually bring it down! to disable enemy transports)
    Hide the mortars behind a blocking LOS piece of terrain and let them lob shells all game long: nobody will waste shots to reach them, they're considered useless (they're fragile too, try to get cover from something if possible) but when you start pinning light units hiding in the open but behind buildings they'll repay you the measly 60points they're worth.
    Advance with your vehicles, maybe along a flank and with the leman russ covering the chimeras weak side armour. Let the veterans melt heavy vehicles, the PCS burn light opponents in covers and the Leman Russ against enemy marines or light vehicles.

I think this is a very very solid list for 1000 pts.

Remember: Do not be afraid to sacrifice units to slow down the enemy advance. Let the opponent charge a small unit (i often use my PCS) and leave them stranded in the open next turn to be fired at with all your line is often the best tactica for imperial guard. We have no deathstars, just our body count to slow down the enemy.
    Last edited by Frost89; May 14th, 2012 at 21:11.
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

The primary tactic for the new Guard general is the hammer & anvil: a static defensive element, usually an combined infantry squad or two that can take orders from a CCS, and a mechanized offensive element, usually Veterans or command squads riding Chimeras. This plays to our strengths of big guns, redundancy and cooperation between units. We don't have many lone-wolves.

The one tactic you should avoid for now is close combat Guard. It can be done but it's never a natural fit. Our infantry don't survive in the open, aren't very fast and so on.

A couple small platoons, a company command squad, a Russ and a couple Chimeras would give you a lot to experiment with for the 1,000-point game.

My last advice is to emphasize redundancy. Marines can bring a single Land Raider, Terminator squad or something with good results. In the Guard, "twin-linked" means "bring two".
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread