Un-used units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Un-used units

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Un-used units

Hey guys, I was wondering why I don't any lists with these units and what are the disadvantages to them?

Brother Captains (including Stern)
    Inquisitor Valeria
    Techmarines
    Culexus Assassin

Is it just because there are better things in the book than them (like a Grand Master instead of a Captain), or do they have things going against them that just don't make them good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

Grand Master > Brother Captain in many many ways - for only 25pts more your beat face GK army has now become a Beat face Swiss Army Knife with the flexibility of a world class Contortionist.

Xenos/Malleus/Corteaz > Valeria - The only reasons you want to be taking an Inquisitor is for a Henchman Squad, Scoring Henchmen, Grenade Caddy, Stubborn Paladins and Relentless Psycannon... The only role that Valeria can fill is Henchman Squad and/or Stubborn Paladins, in which case you would be best served with a cheap Xenos with Rads&Psychotrokes which is more point efficient and more effective at the same time, so why take her?

Techmarines - Do have there place and are used quite often in henchmen lists to bolster defences and carry grenades for Death Cultists.

Cullexus - This guy can be quite nasty if used in the right list, however his limited range means he will most likely be taken down from range as a competant opponent will know not to get close until the threat has been eliminated. I have seen him used well in a henchmen list full of Psykers and Psychic Rhinos/Razorbacks...

These are all reasons you will not see the units in competitive lists, there is no reason not to take them for fun and friendlies as they will make most lists a little softer and easier to manage, and keep your friends a little happier

-Poke-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valeria/Culexus

I've been meaning to try out valeria, I really love her fluff
    in small games though I can't afford her, Corteaz and a techmarine as a grenade caddy,
    but in some larger games I plan on trying her out.

She does have some pretty cool special rules and weapons, but we do have much better options.

The culexus is also something that intrigues me
    it is hard to shoott him down through ranged attacks due to his 3d6 leadership thing (sorry no codex in front of me)
    and with a couple of rhinos/razorbacks and psykers he can put out some real damage,
    it really feels like the vindicare is the only viable assassin now though,
    kind of sad really.
    Last edited by Talljester; May 25th, 2012 at 09:46. Reason: don't eat models kids.
    Death to the Alien!
    who likes cockroaches anyway.
    Ordos Xenos 4/0/3

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

Sorry Jester but I have never tried to pass a culexus assassin, so will have to rely on your experience.

SHUT*

P.S - Had to be said

-Poke-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by DeathPoke View Post
    SHUT*

P.S - Had to be said

-Poke-
    Maybe jester said exactly what he meant to say

Seriously though, if anyone tries out Valeria. Let us know. I am equally intrigued. Also, I have come up against a calexus. Not only was he playing GKs, so was I, not pretty. I needed a couple of rounds to finally take the sod down (I was trying to ensure he stayed out of range). He got into range one round and totally owned my purgation squad. Four psycannons and a regular one gone.
    "The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas." - Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll probably give valeria a go this weekend, let you know how it goes,

as soon as I pass that culexus I ate for lunch.
    Death to the Alien!
    who likes cockroaches anyway.
    Ordos Xenos 4/0/3

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I use the Brother-Captain, actually. Honestly, Grand Strategy is good -- and worth 25 pts -- but it is in no way necessary. The BC is just fine.

Techmarines are overpriced, but they make hilarious goofy grenade caddies ... if you can afford the price.

As for the other units ... yeah. They suck.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

Completly agree on Grand Strat no.6 - it is in no way necessary and is usually an auto-comp hit in tournament play, but it does make every list more effective...

-Poke-

+ Reply to Thread