Imperial Guard Newbie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, this is exactly what it says on the tin. I'm starting an Imperial Guard (having tearily packed away my beloved Death Guard) army based on WWI trench fighters. I'm now going to put what I think would be useful/fluffy for my fighters to have:

Iron Discipline/Die-Hards: Basically, this is the idea that the line must hold at all cost. They're stuck in their trenches and will fight the enemy tooth and nail to defend their land.

Close Order Drill: This is to represent their expertise at fighting shoulder-to-shoulder repelling enemies from their trenches (it's also an excuse to shout out "Form up! Ready Bayonets!" in the middle of a battle ) I think it's ideal for a dfending force such as mine.

Special Weapon Squads: This is to represent sappers/trench stormers. Basically these are suicide squads, probably armed with 2 flamers and a Demo Charge (chuck the charge to disrupt the trench, then hose 'em down), plus it is also an excuse to shout "Grenadze! Grenadze!" at the enemy, in an attempt to throw them off their plan.

Heavy Weapon Platoons: This is to replace heavy armour in my army (have you ever tried fitting a tank in a trench? No? Didn't think so). I'll probably have 2 seperate platoons, one for my fire support and one for my anti-tank squads. Although saying that I won't have any tanks, I am planning to scratch build an archaic Mole Mortar to count as a Earthshaker platform

Any comments? Suggestions?

<span style='color:green'>++Thought for the Day++</span>
    Love the Heretic, grant him absolution in destruction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ColourDeaf@Oct 27 2004, 06:37
    Heavy Weapon Platoons: This is to replace heavy armour in my army (have you ever tried fitting a tank in a trench? No? Didn&#39;t think so).

[snapback]238951[/snapback]

Actually we dig in vehicals/artillery (including sp m109&#39;s), but I think you&#39;ve got a great idea going. If you look around on the GW IG site there a conversion one guy did for ww1, he used bretonnian men at arms mixed with cadian plastics to create ww1 like infantry. It&#39;s pretty cool, i&#39;d check it out just for some ideas.

edit: http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imp...onv/default.htm

theres the link
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like a great Idea I would actaully recommend using the steel legion troops WW1 troops commonly wore gas masks to protect against mustard gass. Plus I would definately include tanks this is the era in my opinion that most IG tanks(think leman russ, chimera) were based off of. Plus if you create terrain for a dug in tank it can looks great too&#33;.
    The Hive Mind will consume all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually most troops didnt have gas masks which is partly why chemical warfare was so effective, in most cases troops used a hankerchief with urine on it. It also wasn&#39;t used alot because the trenches were so close together the gas commonly drifted into the German trenches as well. The Chimera is based off of the BMP (Russian APC), but minus the turret on the Leman Russ it does look like a ww1 tank. Maybe convert it to look like the forgeworld anti-tank Russ.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No tank is more based off of WWI then the Land Raider(Crusader also). Have you ever seen the first tank ever(created by the British). It looks exactly like a Land Raider. Tanks weren&#39;t actually used as much as people think. The British were the first to use them(see above) and the other countries didn&#39;t widely use them, even later in the war(i think). Cavalry was used a lot more. You could use a bunch of Rough Riders to represent that. You would also maybe like change the stats if someone is up for it. Make the lasgun better and make a machine gun(autocannon, stubber, etc.) worse. WWI was the first time they used machine guns, and they weren&#39;t that good(except the German type). Anywho, that is what I got. Good luck and good idea&#33;
    <span style='color:blue'>W/L/D</span>

<span style='color:purple'>3rd Company Raven Guard Space Marines-</span><span style='color:red'>in surgery</span>

<span style='color:green'>512th Cadian Orbital Defence-</span><span style='color:orange'>under construction</span>

<a href='http://www.bungie.net/Stats/PlayerStats.aspx?player=Redhawk%2011' target='_blank'>Xbox Live Stats</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, those models are the exact thing I&#39;m doing...I thought I came up with it

Anyway, I&#39;ve worked out a quick 750pt "Goal" army, something to shoot for first thing.

HQ
    Command Platoon
    Senior Officer (55pts)
    Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Carapace Armour (+11pts)
    Guardsman
    Plasma Gun (+10pts)
    3 Veterans (+18pts)
    Laspistols, Close Combat Weapons, 1 Medic, Master Vox (+25pts)
    Die-Hards, Iron Discipline, Close Order Drill (+10 pts)
    129pts

Support Squads
    Anti-Tank Squad (35pts)
    Lasguns, 3 Missile Launchers (+60pts)
    Die-Hards, Close Order Drill (+10pts)
    105pts

Special Weapons Squad (35pts)
    Lasguns, 2 Flamers, 1 Demolition Charge (+28pts)
    73pts

Troops

Infantry Platoon 1
    Command Squad
    Junior Officer (40pts)
    Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon (+1pt)
    4 Guardsmen
    Lasguns, Comm-link (+5pts)
    56pts

Infantry Squad 1 (60pts)
    Sergeant
    Laspistol, Close Combat Weapon
    9 Guardsmen
    Lasguns, 1 Flamer, Comm-link (+11pts)
    81pts

Infantry Squad 2 (60pts)
    Sergeant
    Lasguns, 1 Grenade Launcher, Comm-link (+14)
    84pts

Infantry Platoon 2
    Command Squad
    Junior Officer (40pts)
    Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon (+1pt)
    4 Guardsmen
    Lasguns, Comm-link (+5pts)
    56pts

Infantry Squad 1 (60pts)
    Sergeant
    9 Guardsmen
    Lasguns, 1 Flamer, Comm-link (+11pts)
    81pts

Infantry Squad 2 (60pts)
    Sergeant
    Lasguns, 1 Grenade Launcher, Comm-link (+14)
    84pts

Total: 749 pts
    How&#39;s that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as modelling goes, the grenade launcher almost looks like an old thompson machine gun (with a much bigger barrel). You could use the grenade launchers and machine guns (hvy bolters). Maybe find some narrower tubing and replace the fat barrel on the launcher?

Build a few models that are in the grenade throwing pose (grenade in the right hand, holding lasrifle in the left) use them as grenade "launchers" (use the grenade launcher stats for his throw).
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by GuardinGnome@Oct 27 2004, 15:44

Build a few models that are in the grenade throwing pose (grenade in the right hand, holding lasrifle in the left) use them as grenade "launchers" (use the grenade launcher stats for his throw).
    [snapback]239312[/snapback]
    I want him playing right field &#33;&#33;

I like your list fluff wise, but I think your going to have some tough times since all you have to kill3+ armies is the 3 ML. Maybe get some howitzer models (non-GW) and use them as a basilisk. One weapon that was used alot in ww1 were trench mortars, maybe fit some into your ranks.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your point about the SM problem

How about I drop the 2 non-essential vets and the Plasma gun in my Command squad, scrape a few points together and buy a couple of Autocannons?

Not sure how I&#39;m going to model the GLs yet, but I&#39;ll have a think about it (possibly like a big old sling, with the guys twirling a bomb above their heads?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Autocannons are only ap4, might as well use a HB. Maybe take some storm troopers with pg, give them pg ( or use a special weapons squad ) and deepstrike them stating that their either spies or they dug through (tunnels were a big part of ww1, they used them to recce the enemies trenches).
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast