Viability of fluffy Praetorians on tabletop? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Viability of fluffy Praetorians on tabletop?

Hi, I have recently restarted 40k with my Praetorians with some converted vets to represent elite light infantry, and I was hoping to go for a force with a minimal reliance on vehicles, but looking around it seems that mech is king at the moment. So I was just wondering, is light infantry still viable?

Cheers

Sharpe

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Foot lists can work okay but do it by spamming bodies which may not give the feel you're after. "Elite" is a pretty relative word though. Is it elite to fight 2:1 with your opponents? Well when they're gen-hanced superhumans and ravenous space bugs then, yeah, it probably is!

Also, 6th edition may change how the guard plays so it's worth keeping that in mind when you're planning your army too.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

This is my footguard list. It's extremely fun to play, and often the opponent isn't prepared to counter it

CCS, lascannon, vox, astropath, regimental standard*

Platoon 1:
    PCS, Autocannon*
    IS, Lascannon
    IS, Lascannon
    IS, Lascannon
    IS, Lascannon, vox
    HWT, 3x Autocannons
    HWT, 3x Autocannons

Platoon 2:
    PCS, Autocannon*
    IS, Autocannon, Meltagun, Meltabombs*, PowerWeapon
    IS, Autocannon, Meltagun, PowerWeapon, vox, Commissar with PW

Platoon 3:
    PCS, AlRaheem, 3x meltagun, vox
    IS, Meltagun, Meltabombs*, PowerWeapon
    IS, Meltagun, PowerWeapon, vox, Commissar with PW

* : these upgrades may be cut to reach 35 points to buy a 3rd commissar for platoon 1 infantry squads

It still has to be tweaked, but the general approach of light infantry is really really cool. It's not elitist tho, but i guess you can shrink the platoons and get a couple/three stormtroopers squads to represent the elites.

Now think about it: can you know a list that can put down reliably, shooting or CC, 140 stubborn guardsmen? For sure really few builds, and even them won't have a good time doing so against 4 swings of 16 power weapons attacks (because the regulars will die, not the upgraded sarges ) or so many TwinLinked Autocannons and lascannons and meltaguns and lasrifles
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I'd add a company banner to give you a chance to re-roll before the commissars start executing power weapons.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    417 (x7)

well as you can see, there is already one
    I don't use Vendettas or Valks...if Guardsmen were meant to fly, the Emperor would have given them wings. (343rd Mordian)
    The battle for Hidaxes SubSector (Listwar)! 184th Cadian blog: 184th.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

"Elite" and "footslogging" don't go together. GEQs don't live long enough without transports for upgrades to be cost-effective. I use an infantry blob-and-Russ list that wins local tournaments; it uses at most three Chimeras, for the command squads. That might appeal to you.

I'd add a company banner to give you a chance to re-roll before the commissars start executing power weapons.
    This doesn't work. The summary execution is triggered by failing the first leadership test, not all leadership tests, and is not optional. There's no redundant rerolling in 40k.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

If you have several methods to reroll you can pick the one you like the most, so the standard overrides the commissary ability... I think

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

340 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Frost89 View Post
    well as you can see, there is already one
    lol i read pcs as ccs, what a dolt!

The FAQ pretty much answers how this situation works:

FAQs
    Q: How do dice rolls that can trigger an effect from a
    special rule (such as rolling a 1 To Hit when shooting a
    weapon with the Gets Hot! special rule) interact with
    re-rolls? (p2)
    A: You only check to see if the effect has been
    triggered after the re-rolls have been made.

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_...nuary_2012.pdf

The summary execution rule triggers when a unit fails a morale check. If you re-roll and pass from the company banner then it never failed. If you fail the re-roll the summary execution rule triggers and you execute a sgt. Then you are required to re-roll the test but you can't re-roll a re-roll so your unit just falls back.
    Last edited by Korona; May 29th, 2012 at 20:43.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

417 (x7)

thanks korona for the explaination

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I didn't realize that had been FAQ'd. Rep! Still seems a gray area but RAW I can't argue.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast