Other Armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Armies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been reading some from the other subforums here and if some of these rumors are to be believed... gaming is going to get very difficult for IG. Plasma Cannons cheaper and now every chapter can take them..well I mean its only one of the best weapons in the game (ahem). Better 'bugs...are you joking me !! These guys get to field the best CC army, and make a game very difficult (with various shooting, fast moving and unstoppible in cc). I have to say everytime I play nids 1000 pts or lower I usually lose, its not untill 1500-2000 that it becomes easier for me.

The IG codex is not that old, and it looks extremly outdated already. Considering I have to pay an arm and a leg to get something good (money, pts and doctrine pts), im thinking about starting SM when the new codex comes out (BA by the way). I feel really abandend by GW lately. Anyone else feel this way? Anyone know of some positive rumors that will make us Guard players feel better?

Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

Originally posted by 311@Oct 27 2004, 205
    Plasma Cannons cheaper and now every chapter can take them..well I mean its only one of the best weapons in the game (ahem).
    [snapback]239474[/snapback]
    if there was ONE weapon we didn't have to worry about it would be the Plasmacannon. DeepStriking Termi squads have to worry, but 6 points 5+ guardsmen should fear Flamers more.

Bugs, well yeah they're getting a new dex, but i'm not really *more* worried about facing them. yeah they're fast, and have some big TMC. but we got lots of guns.

as for feeling like GW is ignoring us. well we got it better than the Orks.
    but yeah, i wish they'd come out with some more doctrines!! they promised!

oh and yeah, i'm a lil miffed about your expensive powerfists (CSM and SM (in the new dex) will have 15 pt Pfists!!! :realmad: )
    and expesnive Heavy Weapons!! SM/CSM only pay 5 points!??!! *****

hell, i'm still miffed about the loss of the 5 pt guardsman :hmm:

but i'm still proud to be a guardsmen. and it's really not that bad

the SMurfs *need* a new Dex!! they're old one is just Old OLd OLD.

but don't loose faith!!! don't give in to the temptaion to switch to SMurfs!
    WE ARE THE GUARD!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it just me or are doctrines the worst customization for any army in 40k. Bugs get mutations (faster/stronger/better armor), Eldar get better BS, and good troop organization, CSM get sweet HQ and units (thousand sons), DH-WH get SM allies. What do we get? oh yea...really expensive allies, and doctrines that are to expensive to equip properly.

How about paying 20 pts to give the entire platoon sharpshooters, or making it so we can decide who gets carapace armor. Oh and if your gonna give Tyranids all the weapons and mutations on a spru, how about giving us more then a flamer and a gl on ours, so that you can take our wallets from us, for the weapon we really want.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the folks I know already have a Marine army or will be starting one with the coming of the new codex (especially after 4th edition made marines better to begin with.)

Some of the things that anger me are the new close combat rules, its impossible to stay locked in combat anymore. 50 conscripts can flee at the drop of a hat, no matter that there could be 49 bodies left to choke the path of the enemy. Suddenly that extra initiative point marines have makes a big difference.

The "you must rapid fire or do NOTHING!" rule bugs me too. I cant take 10 measly lasgun shots before I make my crappy ineffective suicide charge. So much for a meager attempt at thinning the enemy squad before throwing our bodies to their mercy. If I do decide to rapid fire my crapguns, I get assaulted next turn.

OH! And the Chimera only has a rear hatch that I have to deploy within 2 inches of, not at all like a Rhino wear I could leap out of any window I please...

I find the only things that I enjoy anymore are:

-Finally hitting something with a grenade launcher (eventhough its such low STR, GRRR&#33
    -Landing a decent Basilisk shot
    -Firing all the guns on an Exterminator while still being able to move a little.

I share your feelings of being outdated and always facing overwhelming odds, points per side being equal just dosnt seem to even things out as much these days. My new hobby is excersize, through throwing more dice than the average opponent.

Forever a Guard player though!
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting point on the Chimera, I think we are one of the few armies that can only deploy from the back. I know myself when I first started IG, I put a command squad in with 4 flamers (and a hull mounted flamer), needless to say it was quite effective..since learning about deployig from the back, I converted it to a Chimedon.

Its also funny that the people at GW told me the new rapid fire rule was to tone down SM. Funny, because the people I see using this to full effect are SM players. Getting 20 shots from bolters is rather effective :closedeyes:

As for cc, hey it makes sence that 2 guys in heavy armor could run down 49 guys with a flak vest. I kind of like the rule in a way because it means occasionally my line squads get to kill the enemy without me actually doing anything.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new over run rule still annoys me abit. The reason they took out sweeping advance was so that you couldn't wipe out a 50 man squad with a marine, also to stop people swiping from combat to combat.

If I was in a group of 50 and came across a lone soldier, he killed one of our number and the 3 that charged didn't kill him.

I would just run in anyway with the other 49 and slaughter him, not run like a wussy. (well maybe not if it was a termy or a DP, if it was a tau...). Then even if we ran I doubt he could kill all of us in a few seconds because he reacted slightly faster.

Anyway back on topic.

We gaurdsmen always seem to have it bad. A basic stat line of 3, 5+ armour, expensive heavy weapons, weakest weapon in the game. Some truly pointless doctrines, anyone use cyber enhancement....ever.

But you can still manage to win. We almost undoubtably have the best tanks out there.

The Leman russ; Very hard to destroy with AV14 and has the Battle cannon, a great SM killer
    The Basilisk; Greatest piece of artillery ever and cheaper than a squad of 10 Marines
    The Hellhound; Smoking, fry up some scouts we need a side dish to all the bugs we BBQed
    Chimera; a 9 shot wonder able to move 6" and still unload all weapons, goodbye Eldar
    Sentinel; May seem weak but not so bad when it contests an area or holds up some troops.

Then, after are all these wonderful tanks, theres the 100 or so men standing in front of them. 2 in 10 of which are toting a lascannon/Hvy bolter.

Now can the marine player contend with that. I think not. And even though he/she gets more plasma, with the new rules you don't have to take out the models under the template.

Gaurd will always seem to have a tougher time. But in reality they can be a very strong force, compositoin and deployment just have slightly more importance.

PS; I am starting a SM force with the release of the new codex, but its new so I have to have it.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the new overrun rule is kinda ridiculous. I think they should be able to kill only a number of models equal to their attacks. I mean if they roll like a god and have 3 attacks 3 guys will die, suddenly when the enemy turns to flee they jump into a bloody rage and swipe down 10-20 men lol *****? I think it should have a limit too like if to where they kill a percentage like firing. Cause just losing doesn't make sense. I dunno, my rant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG are a little screwed, if you look up posts under me though you will see an article I wrote detailing the advantages and disadvantages of the new rules and I surprised myself with the number of advantages I found.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Dragons, Chimedons and Chimeraxes still legal? They were before my time, but I really want them now that I looked them up.

Are they officially listed anywhere? I may have to break down and buy an Imperial Armor book if they are in there...

Another question, where are the "build your own vehicle rules"? Are they legal in official games?
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally use a Chimedon, found in Army Builder... however I have been thusfar unable to find concreate rules for it.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast