How Many Tanks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many Tanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to find topic like this ins earch but cam up with 'Ig in 40mins' Whats up with that

Anyway, in attempts to make army lists I have been hard strapped to make a list with a decent amount of troops and lascannons, a Leman russ and basilisk, something to protect them from all the anti tank fire and keep a fun element.

So how many tanks would you use in 1000/1500 points. I have posted a list here which uses 2 tanks, although they are exposed.

How many tanks would you advise for 1000/1500 points?

Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in two thousand points i take 3 leman russ and a hellhound but i also have two full companys of 50 men each with each squad complete with heavy weapons, the amount of fire power an army can lay down is horrendous, personally i take one heavy fire power tank for every 750pts
    Quote Originally Posted by artificer
    The quote is "in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war",
    NOT "in the grim darkness of the far future, there are these little, fat, drunken goits with beards!"
    WELL SAID, NO MORE SQUATS THEY ARE DEAD GET OVER IT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG play the numbers game, the more dice you are rolling the happier you should be. To this extent, especially with the new rules on being obscured instead of hull down, I either take no tanks or lots of tanks, a balanced force is a gamble.

If I have one tank, it could blow up first shot or it could last the whole game doing horrendous damage, or it could miss all the time...

If I have three tanks, plus APC and sentinals that is minimised, one tanks blows up early, one does ok, one does really well. So I decided before a game whether to tank out or not. Remember if I dont then all my opponents heavy anti tank weapons are useless, I can ignore them and I gain an advantage, (you killed another man with your lascannon, oh dear the game is tipping away from me...). If I tank out then I get loads of heavy firepower and i end up overwhelming my opponents AT capabilities.

Bassies are slightly different though as you expect them not to get shot ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my 1700 pts list I often field as many as 1 (one) basilisk! But then my guardsmen get toasted usually too. I'm seriously thinking of adding another since one is just way to easy to destroy with a lucky shot and they're cheap anyway.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is Reavered when you need him? :lol:
    Karnov let all of us fulfil our repressed dreams of being a fat Russian man running around in the great outdoors and getting shot at by weird stone heads and crap. You didn't have a repressed fantasy about doing such marvelous things? Well, I don't believe you . . . [djpretzel]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 1500, 4. For 1000, probily 2-3. A Leman Russ and a Basilisk are staples in my army. They tend to make the enemy think twice before charging down the middle of the board at my guardsmen.
    Current Armies-
    Slaanesh (CSM)
    Daemonhunters
    Empire
    High Elves (BloodBowl)

Warseer Blood Bowl League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

as many as you want.

seriously, are asking this in a "what would be the best number tactically?" or are you asking it "how many can i take without being called cheesy".

and it also depends on what you mean by "tank"

i don't really count sentinels and basalisks as "tanks"
    to me a tank is something that is on the field, drawing alot of fire, but hopefully dishing out alot of its own.

sentinels are best hiding caping objectives, and bassies are best out of LOS raining death.

so that leaves us with Chimera/Hellhound/Russ/Demolisher as IGs "tanks".

how many to field?

depends on your army. you're going to field a heck of alot in a Mechanized list.

personally, i like "balanced" lists the most. of course my "balanced" 1850 list has 2 Chimeras, 1 Hellhound, 1 Russ, 1 Demolisher (and 1 bassie/2sentinels). and also has 100+ infantry and 15 HWteams.

so basically, take lots of both infantry and tanks, we're the IG we can get away with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Demolisher, Vanquisher and a Russ! I want to start to play with a Bassie though. Unless I am playing Crons, then I'll take only the long range tanks, stupid glancing hits!
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boxant; By tank I mean anything with an AV value. It all draws heavy weapon fire.
    Secondly I mean how many tanks and still be able to have a decent amount of infantry with HW and still include fun stuff like RR and Kaskrin.

You can't really be called cheesy for taking loads of tanks, thats what the IG do.
    Armoured Company?

My 1000 list has a link on my first post, its finalised more or less now. But I think that has relatively little tanks.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like hell hounds because they can only shoot 24 inches. Chimera, the same
    (S) weapon and longer range range (ML) and its cheaper. Also It can transport troops. Use Chimera's

I use 2 russ's in a 1000 point army

but in a 2000 pt battle I use

2 russ's
    1 basilisk
    4 chimera's

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast