Help Beating Guardsmen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a young Ultramarine player. I having trouble beating my Dad who plays a large IG army. I have 2500+ points many different selections. What should I take to beat him? He has three tanks ( of course ) and infiltates large numbers all over the place.

I really despise these little green vermin! :realmad:

What should I take and help with tacktics????

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use cover to your advantage and try and take say dreadnoughts to kill his tanks. (lascannons, or even deepstrike some guys.
    <span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:black'>Order Of the Black Rose</span>
    <span style='color:red'>Blood God&#39;s Initiate</span>
    </span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to take lots of whirlwinds for your heavy support. The pie plates will instant kill and kill-on a mass scale most of the infantry of the guard army.

the poor BS of guardsman, imo, doesnt really matter because these days, most guards take sharpshooters doctrine and/or just make up for it with sheer numbers. So my point is: in a straight-off firefight between infantry, SMurfs will most likely lose.

So a good tactic is to concentrate all your bolter fire on a single squads at a time, in some cases bottleneck tactics used to stop the huge amount of lasguns that will be coming your way. you can do this with terrain or just a blown-up rhino, although the second option not be the best as well...IG have a lot of ordnance and can easily annihilate the whole viehcle.

Land speeders, and/or bikes, are also gonna be a huge asset. land speeder, just for their cheap price and protection from lasguns. Since guard don&#39;t have the bolters that speeder fear, they are most likely gonna have to fire it with one of their tanks or geavy weapons, and if it goes down. Its still a good deal, as that means 1 less fire shot on your expensive marines (compared to guard anyway)

Attack bikes can just straightaway turbo-boost in the first turn, and enter the fray of guardmen. T5 and 2 wounds means that with guards str 3, they are going to have huge trouble killing the bike, while you just slowly eat away at their squad. a occupied squad of guardsmen (with attack bikes) means less guys shooting your space marines (like the land speeder tactic). Heck, you can come with support with assault marines or just tactical squads to help the attack bike if it survives, and armed with a multi-melta, it has a good chance of popping a couple of guardsmen tanks.

as for SM tanks: just take predators - i need more information on what tanks your dad uses..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok as a veteran Ultramarine player here is what i&#39;d take:

Firstly you need to neutralise his armour.
    Battlecannons have a nasty habit of devouring Marines.

To Neutralise armour you need to:
    A. Take at least 2 Land Speeders both equipped with Multi-Melta&#39;s.
    - You can give them the chin Assault Cannons for a little extra cost or flamers and you will be able to hunt, infantry once the Tanks are disabled.
    B. An Assault Squad armed with Melta Bombs and a Power Fist.
    - The Assault Squad is a great choice because once the armour is dealt with, they can really tear into I.G infantry. *The Guard despise HtH.
    C. A Predator Anihilator - can really limit the run around of his tanks if you have the Pred covering a good area, and her 3 Lascannons are bound to give any Leman Commander a headache.

From there you have to take care of his Heavy Weapon Teams, to do so you will need to:
    A. Get a 5 man Scout Squad armed with, 1 Heavy Boltor and 4 Sniper Rifles. This combination ive found great vs I.G and also Ork. The Sniper fire will pin entire weapon teams, whilst the HB tears them apart.
    B. The Assault Squad. Again the IG despise HtH.
    C. A Deepstriking Terminator Tactical Squad. My idea to get them close is upgrade a Scout Sarge to a Vet.Sarge and give him a Tele Homer. Of course infiltrate your scouts and hello&#33; you have a forward point to deepstrike your termies. The Tacical Squad should be armed with both H.Flamer and Assault Cannon. I recommend a Squad Size of about 8.

These are the tactics I use vs the Guard to great effect.
    If you need some army lists, dont hesitate to contact me at ian.bolger@globalstar.com.au

Anyway.
    Good Gaming,
    Inviticus
    Current Armies:
    Ultramarines (4000pts)
    Current form: 4-1-0
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Draw vs Orks (1000pts)
    Win vs Space Wolves (1000pts)

Dark Eldar (1000pts)
    Current form: 3-0-1
    Loss vs Imperial Guard (1000pts)
    Win vs Chaos, Slaanesh (1000pts)
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As both a vetran gaurd and marine player, both can win against eachother if played correctly.

What you need to do is get 3 full squads of assault marines. There is one thing gaurd arnt good at and thats close combat.

Also get deepstriking termi squads, and deepstrike them behind enemy lines.

As the poster said above, "sniper" dreads are great at taking out vehicles.
    Sniper= lascannon,missle launcher,extra armor dreadnaught

Another trick i like to do with my deathwing is to take 3 dreads with a dread close combat weapon, and get them into close combat with the gaurd sqauds, see that they are unable to damage it.

I hope this info helps, good luck
    Can you guys help me out and click this link? If you click it, I get a soldier in this game I'm playing online. Can you please help me out?

Click here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could also shift things in your favor by selecting a scenario that would really favor close quarters (lots of hand to hand) or maybe even a scenario that requires a lot of mobility. For most Guard units, its move or shoot.

Another thing that would favor Marines over Guard would be to play smaller point battles, say 1,000 points or less.

Dont invest heavy points into small squads, when I play my Space Wolves against Guard I take as much as I can, as cheaply as I can get it. So take as many basic marine models as you can cram into your list and get to his front lines as fast as you can. With the new close combat rules you should be in great shape once you get into his ranks.

Heavy bolters are your best bet against his non-armored units, and you may want to drop in a few tank hunting squads, even heavy bolters can damage rear armor so get behind him to be most effective.

An experienced Guard player is one of the toughest opponents you can go against because the Imperial Guard can be so flexible in its composition.
    I am the Aquila-Guerilla!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    118 (x6)

as a primarly IG player, i&#39;ll give you some tips.

1. use cover. i find that alot of SM players get lazy when it comes to using cover, i guess they just don&#39;t have to worry about it most of the time... but IG will severly punish you if you think you can survive in the open&#33;&#33;

2. don&#39;t try to out shoot IG&#33;&#33; a properly built IG can NOT be outshot&#33;&#33; period.

3. be very very VERY careful when you deeptrike&#33; i&#39;ve seen soooo many brave/stupid SM players DS an assault squad in my ranks. only to have it destoryed to the man by one battlecannon round. even termies have to be warry of Demolishercannon (mass lasgun).

3. DON&#39;T UNDERESTIMATE THE LOWLY LASGUN&#33;&#33;&#33; sooo many players don&#39;t give this lil gun credit, yeah 10 lasguns don&#39;t do much, but 100 do&#33;

4. Whirlwind. it makes guardsmen go splat. give us a lil taste of our own game. but remember, 1 guard squad is a LOT cheaper than 1 SM squad. you can&#39;t just exchange ordnance and expect to win.

5. as said before, LandSpeeders w/ MM are gold when it comes to popping tanks.

6. a bike squad is great for distracting IG, even just a chappy on a bike is a good unit&#33;

7. Dreads are virtually invulnerable in h2h. but getting in h2h is the real battle... AV12 doesn&#39;t hold up that long to Lascannons/Missle Launchers...

8. Mobility&#33; i know alot of people dismiss the rhino. but a tactical squad jumping out and rapidfiring into a guard squad usually means, one dead guard squad. the thing is you can&#39;t just run the rhino up the middle anymore. use cover, run out, pop smoke and next turn move 6" and rapid.

9. Heavy Bolters.

10. and most of all. don&#39;t be timid. when facing IG, you gotta have b@lls. you can&#39;t wait and wait and wait for the perfect moment. you&#39;re going to take heavy losses getting into h2h. but it doesn&#39;t take much to crush IG in h2h.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the tips guys, my dad has 1 demolisher, 1lemanruss, 1vanquisher, 1chimera, a couple sevators with plasma cannons and multi metas, and a lot of infiltrating lascanonon squads. He also has 3lascanon teams. :mellow:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok Blue Marine, take 3 Speeders with Multi-Meltas for the Tanks, a Scout squad infiltrating ahead of the army with a teleport homer, and a Terminator Assault Squad.

1st and 2nd turn: Neutralise Tanks

3rd turn: Deepstrike Terminators.

4th turn: Your dad resigns.

Good Gaming,
    Invicticus.

*If only battle stratergy was that easy.
    Current Armies:
    Ultramarines (4000pts)
    Current form: 4-1-0
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)
    Draw vs Orks (1000pts)

Dark Eldar (1000pts)
    Current form: 3-0-1
    Loss vs Imperial Guard (1000pts)
    Win vs Chaos, Slaanesh (1000pts)
    Win vs Orks (1000pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some attack bikes with melta guns would be useful. if they turbo boost, they are nigh unkillable. get in there against his tanks, and turn them into hunks of slag
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Vegitarianism is willingly demoting yourself on the food chain.</span>

+ Reply to Thread