1000 Pt Codex Marines List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to start a new SM army for 4th edition, my Crimson Fists have served me well but I want to do something different this time around. I wanted a 1000pt list that was balanced and competitive. Here's what I came up with (using 3 tactical squad boxes, scout squad box, the Dread and Predator boxes, and a few bits like jump packs and close combat arm sprues):

Chaplain with jump pack and bolt pistol (106)
    7 Assault marines, Vet Sgt with power fist (184)
    6 Devastators, 3 missile lanchers (150)
    8 Tacticals, 1 plasma gun (130)
    5 Scouts, bolt pistols and swords (65)
    Dreadnaught, assault cannon, power fist (105)
    Predator Annhilator, heavy bolter sponsons (130)
    1000 Pts

Please Rate on a scale of 1-10:
    Close combat ability
    Anti-troop shooting
    Anti-tank shooting
    Maneuverability
    Survivability

If anything rates lower than 4 then please explain and give advice, thx.

Purge all the heretics,
    Kill the alien scum,
    Suffer not the unclean to live,
    And have a beer when you're done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    112 (x4)

Disclaimer: Have not seen 4th Ed codex.

Originally posted by 40Kgreybeard+Nov 17 2004, 15:33--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(40Kgreybeard &#064; Nov 17 2004, 15:33)</div><div class='quotemain'>Chaplain with jump pack and bolt pistol (106)
    [/b]

CCW --- 7-8
    Anti-Infantry --- 3-4 (You are not looking at too many rounds of shooting with these guy, and 3-4 casualties from it would be average)
    Anti-Vehicle --- 1 (only because you can glance AV10)
    Mobility --- 7 (The major plus with jump packs is to choose your targets. Try to assault the same unit as the scouts)
    Survivability --- 6 (Use the terrein and they will see CCW, but they will go down to dedicated shooting)

I would really think about giving them plasma pistols.
    I am assuming that they changed the points value of Assault Marines significantly (in 3rd Ed the squad would be 215 points).
    Originally posted by 40Kgreybeard@Nov 17 2004, 15:33
    Flexible.

CCW --- 2-3 (And that just because they are marines)
    Anti-Infantry --- 6-7 (Better against PA than Heavy Bolters, but worse than Plasma Cannon)
    Anti-Vehicle --- 8 (Only surpassed by massed Lascannon or shortranged Meltas)
    Mobility --- 2 (Moving these guys would almost always be a waste)
    Survivability --- 7 (Use that long range, and give the enemy a target rich environment, and they&#39;ll still be shooting at the end of the game.

CCW --- 4-5 (Better than the Devastators, but only because you might initiate the assault)
    Anti-Infantry --- 7
    Anti-Vehicle --- 7
    Mobility --- 5 (Not highly mobile, but they shouldn&#39;t be standing around twiddling their thumbs)
    Survivability --- 7

Again, unless the cost of a plasma gun has gone up (or you mean plasma cannon, and the price has gone down), these would be 126 (or 135).

I really think this squad should be larger.

CCW --- 6-7
    Anti-Infantry --- 2-3 (see assault marine)
    Anti-Vehicle --- 1 (see assault marine)
    Mobility --- 6 (Using their infiltrate rule, they should start close to the enemy, either to assault on the 1st/2nd turn, or to interdict a particular route until your assault marines show up.)
    Survivability --- 4 (With the worst save in the army, and usually being set up close to the enemy, it is unlikely these will see the end of the game. Or turn three)

He is really crying out for extra armour and smoke launchers (if you listen carefully, you might hear him.)

CCW --- 6-7 (more against Monstrous Creatures or vehicles)
    Anti-Infantry --- 6-7
    Anti-Vehicle --- 5 (While the sheer number of shots from an assault cannon mean you have a decent chance of a 6, it is not something to rely on).
    Mobility --- 6
    Survivability --- Depends on what you are facing. eg vs Necrons ---2-3

Extra armour and smoke launchers. If you plan to take him through Difficult terrein, give it smoke launchers.

CCW --- 0
    Anti-Infantry --- 5-6 (Frankly, I see the Tacticals being much more effective against infantry, and the Devastators if they do not have priority targets)
    Anti-Vehicle --- 8 (Would be 9-10, but even Twin-Linked can miss, or not penetrate. Or be completely ineffectual if they do.)
    Mobility --- 6-7 (I would keep it moving up with the Tacticals)
    Survivability --- Depends on what you are facing. eg vs Necrons ---2-3

<!--QuoteBegin-40Kgreybeard
    @Nov 17 2004, 15:33
    Please Rate on a scale of 1-10:
    Close combat ability
    Anti-troop shooting
    Anti-tank shooting
    Maneuverability
    Survivability

If anything rates lower than 4 then please explain and give advice, thx.
    [snapback]251690[/snapback]
    [/quote]
    I assumed that you were asking to rate each entry seperately, not the army as a whole.

If it were my army, I would drop the Predator (in this size army the ML, the Power Fist and the Dread should be able to manage) to free up points to enlarge the scout squad (and maybe give them Frag Grenades), the devastator squad (Both up to 8 models), get some Plasma Pistols for the assault marines, and Extra Armour and Smoke Launchers for the Dread.

BTW: One useful tactic I have come across is to give a Scout Sergeant a plasma pistol. Set the squad up with a direct line at a transports access hatch/ramp. The plasma pistol should inflict a penetrating hit, forcing the occupants out for you to assault them (which you can do as long as some of your squad still contacts the vehicle).
    ___
    Greetings from Planet X, I hope you enjoy your day.
    Join us in the Librarium Online Chatroom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you mean the whole army rateing or each unit?

anyway, I&#39;ll rate your whole army in difrence to Cor...

Chaplain with jump pack and bolt pistol (106)
    1000 Pts

Close combat ability: 7 (Not really that much but I belive you are going to use them mostly for counter attacking)
    Anti-troop shooting: 8 (If concentrated fire)
    Anti-tank shooting: 7/8 (7 if the enemy have a armour 14 vechile, 8 if not ^_^)
    Maneuverability: 8 (the only squad that I can see would stand still is the devastators)
    Survivability: 6-7 (depending on what oppoent you are faceing, an imperial guard player with 2 Russes could easly take away 2 squads each turn if he is lucky, and if you meet some army that is CC based. because then you will not have enough people that is CC to take care of them, a good example would be a Space Wolf army against you)

/Cheers ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you for taking the time. I&#39;m seeing lots of 7-8&#39;s, which is good.

I&#39;d love to put extra armor and/or smokeon the vehicles, and put frags and MB&#39;s on the Chaplain and beef up the scout squad by a couple of models, and add a PP to the assault squad. But to do that I&#39;d have to drop something, which would impact the balance of my list, I think. Oh well, you can&#39;t have everything. I&#39;ll just have to make up for it with good tactics&#33;

Anyone else want to weigh-in? I&#39;d prefer that you rated the army as a whole, since I have a pretty good idea of the capabilities of the individual units. If you recommend a swap like Corianis did, I&#39;d like to hear it.
    Purge all the heretics,
    Kill the alien scum,
    Suffer not the unclean to live,
    And have a beer when you&#39;re done.

+ Reply to Thread