Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, TEUT here.
    I just bought some space marines. I bought the "Battle Force" set. Now, I sat down last Friday with my friend. He plays Tau. Now, this was a really biased table (there was almost 0 cover, no line of sight restrictions) and i was massacred horribly. My force was a tac squad with sergeant and ml and flamer, and a rhino, 4 assault marines w/1 plaspistol, and 2 bikes. I was massacred horribly. He had a group of Kroot, fire warriors, 2 broadsides(or crisis, can't remember) suits, 3 pathfinders with rail rifles. Anyway, was about a 500 point game.

Any help or good stuff to buy to defeat Tau (but still have enough flexibility to take on other armies also)?

Thanks.

<span style='color:blue'> Die Infantrie -
    Die Konigin Aller Waffen

The Infantry -
    The Queens of the Services</span>

<span style='color:red'>Durch Wehrwillen zur Wehrkraft

Through military will to military strength</span>

<span style='color:gray'> &quot;In a man to man fight the winner is the one who puts an extra round in his magazine&quot;
    -Field Marshal Erwin Rommel</span>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I play Blood Angels so I am a mostly assault based army, but I also have a lot of heavy weapons in my army. I have 3, 10 man tac squads, each with one lascannon in it, and a Landraider with twinlinked lascannons and a dread with a lascannon. These are perfect for cutting down hammerheads and crisis suits. Also try get a Landraider and fill it up with termies and pull up to the Tau line and let em rip&#33; Try to get ahold of a Whirlwind, its good for taking on tightly packed firewarrior formations.
    Tact is for people who give a damn. I'm not one of those people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well to start with that was completely biased in favor of the Tau. Next time play on a table covered in terrain with no open area greater than 4". See how he likes it then.

That&#39;s a bit of an unrealistic answer, but that&#39;s the case with all armies. Each has its specialty and when the battle is set up to focus on that specialty then they obviously do much better.

Try playing more scenarios. Roll randomly instead of just playing wipe the other guy out. Tau won&#39;t be so good in many of the scenarios. Capturing and holding locations, etc. It will expand your experience and give a much more realistic comparision of each army, and each player&#39;s skill.

Also, put some terrain on the table. Beside looking good, it adds some cover. It&#39;s a more tactical game if maneuvering can actually help you. Lining up and marching at each other on open fields is more for Napoleonic war games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too play blood angels and from an assulty point of view i suggest deepstriking. With the death company and an assault squad deepstriking he will crap his pants. If you can&#39;t walk up to him on the field you might as well jump ontop of him. Once your hyped up cc units are in cc with some pretty useless cc tau you will have a victory. That is the one priority of fighting tau.

I hope i helpped&#33;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, thanks guys. That was my first game. Yeah, but will the land raider get chewed up really badly by his railguns? Do I just need to keep the land raider in cover until the last moment?

On a lighter note, we decided to go crazy and have a 100 point game. It was my 4 assault marines vs his broadside and a fire warrior. It was really funny. WE kept rolling and rolling, b/c we kept getting armor saves.

Yes, I totally agree. That open field really messed me up.

I really do not have a lot of terrain, just the jungle trees that came in the box. I usually use books and other such props to make terrain (thick walls, ramps, etc.).

Well guys, thanks a lot.
    I will just keep on playing, and I will get better that way.
    Just a question, how fast do regular space marines move?
    Die Konigin Aller Waffen

The Infantry -

<span style='color:gray'> &quot;In a man to man fight the winner is the one who puts an extra round in his magazine&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regular Space Marines have a 6" move, 6" assault, just like most other footslogging infantry.
    <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.</span></span>

<span style='color:blue'>W/L/D
    Imperial Guard 1/1/1</span>
    <span style='color:blue'>Blood Angels 1/1/1</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;ve played against Tau a few times, usually games up to 2000 points. I havnt lost a game yet playing as my dark angels. Remember that tau have low initiative, toughness, ws, and saves. You want something that will draw a lot of enemy fire away from your main units. So sometimes that landraider is worth it as a distraction to draw fire away from dreadnaughts. Dreads are a must against tau as well are assault squads. Just get them in to close combat as soon as you can. Devestator squads with Heavy Bolters or Missile launchers are god against Tau. Put a few lascannons in your tac squads in case he takes armor like hammerheads etc. I personally like to employ bikes and assault squads against tau. Just rip them down squad by squad.

In one close game... my dreadnaught came through for me to the end. Make sure you give him a heavy flamer and the twinlinked las. Dont replace his dreadnaught CCW though.

And of course... you need some terrain against Tau lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question to Blood Angel:
    What type of termies are these going to be in hte land raider, assault or normal?

Is the basic tactic against Tau to get close while out of sight, and then charge in for the assault? Also, can you use a flamer when assaulting. I mean, can you run up, flame a unit, and then assault it? Same question with bolters, can you run up, shoot once, and then assault?

Also, concerning the new move and shoot rules for tanks, how does this work? Is it similar to the fast attack unit rule?

Also, against Tau, is there any worth in land speeders?

Sorry for all the questions. One more, I kinda want a chaplain or a librarian. Would it make sense to get them, and how should I suit them up?
    Die Konigin Aller Waffen

The Infantry -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. I guess you need those dreads, b/c my friend and I just tried it out for fun. It is REALLY hard for even an assault marine to kill a broadside, even in close combat.

Also, is it worthwhile to use metabombs against Tau on the assault marines. I am thinking no, as they don&#39;t have many vehicles.

Is a pincer movement a feasible tactic? Or does it simply depend on the terrain.
    Die Konigin Aller Waffen

The Infantry -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if its an assault weapon you can shoot and assault or if its a pistol otherwise pick one.
    The Hive Mind will consume all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast