Inquisitors Vs Grand Masters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree...I mean, Inquisitors are suppose to be the 'leaders' of the Ordo Malleus. Plus, they do have some awesome looking models, henchmen were just a brilliant idea, and they can do some serious damage. Once again, thanks everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it depends on how your army is set up. Let's look at Pros and Cons

*GK Grand Master

Pro:
    -Terminator Armor, storm bolter, S6 Force Weapon included in cost
    -High stats, including WS, BS, I, and A
    -Retinue of terminators
    -Retinue can take Holocaust power
    -Can Deep Strike
    -Allows use of GK Dreadnoughts and GK Land Raiders as Hvy Support
    -Can be purchased without retinue

Con:
    -Expensive
    -Retinue expensive
    -Comes with S6 Force weapon included in cost. (so you "waste" a lot of points if you want to replace it with something else)
    -Cannot take assassins

*Inquisitor Lord
    Pros:
    -Very flexible weapon/armor selection
    -Inexpensive
    -Retinue flexible
    -Retinue fairly inexpensive
    -Allows use of assassins (death cult and "real" assassins)
    -Can take transport

Cons:
    -Cannot be independant. Must use retinue
    -Retinue very poor saves for the most part
    -Cannot use GK Heavy Support vehicles (LR & Dread)

*GK Brother Captain
    Pros:
    -Terminator Armor, storm bolter, S6 Power Weapon included in cost
    -Retinue of terminators
    -Retinue can take Holocaust power
    -Can Deep Strike
    -Allows use of GK Dreadnoughts and GK Land Raiders as Hvy Support
    -Can be purchased without retinue
    -Relatively inexpensive

Cons:
    -Only 1 wound!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    -Retinue expensive

Analysis:
    - Inquisitor Lords are very customizable. You can easily and cheaply make him shooty/CC/Daemonhunter/etc. Their retinue, however, is very fragile, with 6+ saves on everything except the 3 warriors/servitors. And you must take at least 3 retinue members with an inquisitor lord. Also, a DH army is already short on anti-vehicle weaponry and an Inquisitor Lord cannot take GK heavy support (LR, Dread) which is basically the only heavy weapons a DH army has. Unless you take allied units or lots of Storm Troopers squads with multi-meltas you will need to include a Brother-Captain HQ at a minimum so you can include these strong (and pricey) support units.
    - GK GrandMasters kick butt in CC, but lack in shooting, even if equipped with a psycannon. He and his retinue are expensive, but cannot compare to the sheer long-range firepower an Inquisitor Lord and retinue can produce. However, in close they can wreck havoc on enemies with S6 power weapons, multiple attacks, 2+ armor saves, 5+ invulnerable saves. Throw in an incinerator (I'd give the grandmaster one as well for 2 in the squad) plus 2 holocaust powers and your opponent is in for a world of hurt when you get within 6" of his troops. Also, regardless of how he is really equipped, your opponent will always be distracted and afraid of getting in close to this unit, which you can use to your advantage.
    - GK Brother-captains are pathetic excuses for GK heroes. With only 1 wound he is basically a regular GK terminator with one more attack, ability to take wargear, and the ability to take a psychic power from the list. Is that worth 15 more points more than a regular GK terminator? I don't know, not to me. The only reason to take him is because he is a lot cheaper than the GM and still allows the use of GK heavy support. Still, a cheaper version of the GK HQ is decent in CC (not as good as GM) but can still take the 2 incinerators and 2 holocaust powers.

So.. to me it comes down to what you want your HQ to do and what else you have in your army. If you want shooting, take the inquisitor lord and retinue. You can get 3 heavy bolters and a psycannon for 12 shots per round at 36" (or take 2 heavy bolters, 1 plasma cannon, and a psycannon). Also, good to take if you have alternate plans for dealing with enemy vehicles. If you want in close and CC support, take either the GK GM or brother-captain. Smaller battles probably take the BC (if you take a retinue), otherwise always go for the GM.

I usually only play a 1000 point battle, so have not had much opportunity to try larger forces. Recently I tried a "shooty" GK army.

Inquisitor Lord w/psycannon
    2 servitors w/hvy bolters
    1 servitor w/plasma cannon
    1 mystic
    2 sages

GK brother-captain w/psycannon

2 GK troop squads w/justicar + 5 troops each

1 GK purgation squad w/justicar + 4 psycannons

1 GK dreadnought w/lascannon + missile launcher

1 GK Land Raider

Low on troops, but has lots of shooting. I wouldn't have used the Land Raider but I really wanted to try it out.

In one game, the LR saved my hide after everything else had gotten wiped out, in the other I had bad luck and both my dread and LR were wiped out on the first turn. Oh well, it happens. In the second game (where my dread and LR were wiped out on turn 1). The purgation squad and Inquisitor squad mowed down 3 full 8-man squads of chaos marines in 3 turns. (with a little help on the third turn from the regular GK squads) plus the purgation squad destroyed the enemy dreadnought (12 S6 shots! I managed to hit 9 times and glance twice. One glance was a 6) on turn 4.

Shrouding was wonderful.. my GK squads took a whopping 1 casualty from long-ranged attacks from the predator/dread/hvy-weapons squad. The inquisitor & retinue, however, did not fare so well and, even being in cover for a save, were slowly whittled down until wiped out on turn 4 (my opponent gave up trying to shoot my GK from 32" away)

My list worked pretty well, was just too small to work effectively. I definitely need to drop the LR and take more GK ...

Personally, I love GK much more than the Inquisitor and they are much more durable. Inquisitors and retinue die very easily, and especially in a long-range battle your opponent will likely give up early trying to shoot your GK and will focus his firepower on your shooty inquisitor retinue. I will likely take only GK from here on in in lower-point battles and save the inquisitor for large games if I want to field some assassins or have more targets for my opponent to shoot at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't take a Grand Master you can't have a Dreadnought? WHAT !?!?!? are you sure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

**I do believe that dvang is correct if I'm reading the codex correctly. In the box on the upper left hand side of page 32 it states: "Important Note: Grey Knight Land Raiders, Land Raider Crusaders, and Dreadnaughts may only be taken if a Grey Knight Hero is part of the force." So...evidently...you at least need a Brother Captain in your force to be able to take a Dreadnaught.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'll be jiggered. You're right. I just don't see the little things like that. Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep Just like you need an Inquisitor to field assassins, to field GK Heavy support vehicles you need a GK Hero. Makes for a bit of a difficult decision, eh? Personally, if I really wanted to field both I'd probably take a GK Hero and an Inquisitor as an elite choice if I couldn't afford a full Inquisitor + retinue in addition to a GK Hero + retinue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question :

When you all guys depicts different customisation for your grandmaster (with incinerator for example), which fig do you use ?

At my GW, they only have the pricey GM Stern... Are there other GM figs or do you make a conversion of a Termi or a GK ?

Kryss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked a similiar question under the post "A modeling question". One person answered already however I'm still waiting on input from other players to see how they customize/represent a GM in their armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TAKE THE GRAND MASTER, AND A RETINUE, THEN THE DREAD, THEN A LANDRAIDER OR CRUSADER. THEY HAVE PSYCHIC POWERS SO YOUR NOT LOSING ANYTHING. THE GK TERMIS THAT YOU GET WITH THE GRAND MASTER ARE BETTER AT SHOOTIN AND HTH THEN THE HENCHMEN.
    TAKE THE INQUISITOR AS AN ELITE ALONG WITH THE ASSASSIN AND DEATH CULTIST. THEY WORK TOGETHER AND SLAUGHTER TANKS AND HW SQUADS.
    TAKE THE HOLOCOST POWER IF YOU LIKE BUT I PREFER SCOURGING, PLUS YOUR RETINUE CAN TAKE THE HOLOCOST.

MHO.

"ABANDON ALL HOPE"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take the Grand-Master cuase:

1 it has a better touphness and str
    2 he has the grey knights special rule
    3 he has alot better henchmen
    4 He can be teleported

The only down side to the grand master is his cost and the fact that to constimize him would be a grand waste of points.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast