Building Space Marine Army Looking For Input! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am building a Space Marine army at the moment; a Minor Divergent chapter called the Devil Tigers and I am looking for input in what to buy next! On my list is the new Commander box, all I have currently is a Captain in Terminator armor looking to replace that with a Chaplain or Librarian, leading towards Librarian I think... need help their too.

Also want to get the Command HQ so I can have a decked out command squad

Currently own a 5 man Terminator Squad, Terminator Captain, 2 full Tactical Squads (each with a missile launcher), 8 Scouts with Sniper Rifles, and 10 Assault Marines. I think I am in need of heavy weapons and transports; I have yet to field the Terminator Squad, too many points at the moment; we are moving to 1000 points next month as we slowly build our armies.

I normally face Tyranid and Imperial Guard armies, but once I hit 1000+, I will be gaming at the games store and facing various armies to get my feet wet

Any help would be much appreciated!

<a href='http://www.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=24704&view=findpost&p=254196' target='_blank'>The Devil Tigers: A Space Marine Chapter</a>

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I highly recommend Armored support. A Predator Annihilator with Heavy Bolter Sponsons is a good mix of anti tank and anti infantry. But if you can afford it, a Predator Annihilator with Lascannons and a Predator Destructor with heavy bolters is a better choice.

I also would recommend Lascannon, heavy bolter, melta, and plasma devastators for you tactical squads. The missile launcher is versatile, but sometimes doesn&#39;t pack the right punch.

A librarian is a good HQ choice, especially with the new powers. I don&#39;t like command squads because they are too expensive for what they do. Often, for the price of a good command squad, you can get a powerful Tactical Squad in a Rhino. I&#39;d take the latter any day. Unless you&#39;re submitting this for painting/modelling contests, I wouldn&#39;t bother with a Command Squad.
    This message approved by Sanguinius_X.

&quot;Iron Within, Iron Without&quot;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Sanguinius_X@Nov 22 2004, 18:35
    I highly recommend Armored support. A Predator Annihilator with Heavy Bolter Sponsons is a good mix of anti tank and anti infantry. But if you can afford it, a Predator Annihilator with Lascannons and a Predator Destructor with heavy bolters is a better choice.

I also would recommend Lascannon, heavy bolter, melta, and plasma devastators for you tactical squads. The missile launcher is versatile, but sometimes doesn&#39;t pack the right punch.

A librarian is a good HQ choice, especially with the new powers. I don&#39;t like command squads because they are too expensive for what they do. Often, for the price of a good command squad, you can get a powerful Tactical Squad in a Rhino. I&#39;d take the latter any day. Unless you&#39;re submitting this for painting/modelling contests, I wouldn&#39;t bother with a Command Squad.
    [snapback]255337[/snapback]
    True, it is pricey... probably jut stick with the Librarian, and ttach him to a squad... The tanks sounds like a good idea I do need some beefy armor support in the field.
    <a href='http://www.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=24704&view=findpost&p=254196' target='_blank'>The Devil Tigers: A Space Marine Chapter</a>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a predator ahhnilator

and

razorback twin linked lascannon, combat squad, melta gun, multi melta, 3 bolters, vet sarg plasma pistol.
    park at the rear or side armour of a tank unload units, the rest is for you imagination :rofl:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok now for my input...i think you should get some major vhehicle backup...because as soon as you play some one with weak but many shots in firepower...your *****ed&#33;&#33;&#33;

so get a land raider or something like that
    P.S. Blood angels rule, the anger lets us ignore wounds ...hehehe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey man I&#39;ve been playing SM for a long while now, and lemme steer you clear of some of the mistake&#39;s Ive made and gve you a PRACTICAL spin on what you might like to use, and help you the most.

HQ-
    Librarian: Now with the powers, you cant go wrong. Unless you play another Librarian, which we will see alot more of now.
    Personal Note: Buy yourself a Chaplain, they are good for a low point HQ< with a discounted 4+ save and power weapon thrown in.

Command Squad: Love them for big point games, but for low point games... just attach to a tac-squad. I say, wehn younext think "Well I have everything I want... what should I get now?" THEN get the Command squad.BUT, an Apotocary WILL keep your HQ alive for soooo much longer.

Elite-
    Terminators- A no Brainer, BUT don&#39;t put all yur fait in them, I would say get yourself 2 Regular and 2 with Assault cannons, ther&#39;s your Anti Vehcile and armor right there, and use your Termie Captain as a Sergeant,t hat&#39;s waht I do. And for Assault? Nothign beats an Assault Squd with Lightning Claws and Furious charge, at Strength 5 they have a chance to wound EVERYTHING in the game. And a reroll on that.

Tech Marine- BUY HIM BUY HIM BUY HIM&#33; ust look at this for 100 Pts you get...

2+ Save
    2 Power Fist attacks
    3 Power Weapon Attacks(with bolt pistol) 4 on the charge
    Twin Linked Plasma pistol you can reroll if it overheats or misses twise, and still assault
    A flamer you may always use before you assault
    And 2 wounds.
    And he has accsess to the armory.

THat&#39;s better than most Tac squads can hope to do damage wise. And ad some servitors you&#39;ve got a devestator fire base, or a Powerfist heavy unit. GOOD choice for an elite.

Heavy Support:

Predator Annihilator: Cheaper than a four Lascannon Devestator squad, but down with one shot. However, defiantly the best SM Tank you can get.

Devestator&#39;s: A MUST, and man...from my experience. 85% of all Players at the place you&#39;ll playa re gonna be Space Marine/Chaos Space Marine/Necron... they are bitches if youdon&#39;t have the right weapons. Get yourself 4 Plasma Cannons and I guarentee they will be your favorite Heavy weapons, the thing is they wound ANYONE troopwise on a 2, and they AP EVERYTHING witha blast template. I&#39;ve wiped out whole berserker squads witht hat one dev squad.

Fast Attack:
    Nevr been a big fast attack fan, but Assault marines are great. SO geat an Assault squad with a Couple plasma Pistols and Melta bombs and you have an emergeny line of defence against CC armies, and you also have a ceaper, faster moving anti Armor unit. BIG deal against Monoliths, Land Raiders and Leman Russ&#39;s. HAve a couple of Flamers in resrve for this unit incase you fight IG/DE/Ork/Tau, will murder them.

Troops:

On your Tactical Squads- Youll find that sticking them with Missile Launcehrs is ok, but will great reduce their tactical use as they can&#39;t move. Especially with the New Rapid Fire moves, you&#39;ll never get to take advantage of it. Give thema Pasma Gunner instead, they will REALLY love the Rapid Fire AP2 shots that wound on 2&#39;s. Even gives thema shot against termies and Wraithlords. Also, GREAT thinking on the scouts, not enough people use the, Those damn Daemon Princes and Wraithlords are a pain to take out, but now you&#39;ll always wound ona four. Advice for the scouits though, get yourself a couple rocket launcher/heavy bolters for them. Their scouts, they&#39;re gonna be sitting still,a nd you can add ot their firebase with either of those heavy weapons, youll love it. As for your twog uys you have with Rockets? Well use thema s a basis for a four man Rocket Devestator ssquad, you&#39;ll love the versatility in low point games. Trust me.

Now things I learned you migth want to avoid, though it&#39;s up to you.

Rhino&#39;s- a &#036;35.00-50 point piece of trash. They will be blown up.Fast.Always.

Razorbacks- GREAT transport for small devsquads as it adds tot heir firepower, and a heavy bolter razorback can help defend them

Land Raiders: &#036;55.00/250-265 Points. What do you get? 2 Lascannon shots, and 3 heavy bolter shots a turn. Twinlinked, but big deal. They transport stuff, but it takes 2-3 turns tog et ANYTHING out ofa transport now in Sa nd into action.

Assault squads: Take off their jump packs thier only 15 pts&#33; I like them. But Ima shooty guy to be honest.

Dreadnought&#39;s: Their named right, No one dreads them. Not a one. (Maybe the Furioso)

Melta Guns- Great for Vehicles to have, Lame for footsloggers. You wan&#39;t to wait till you can get assaulted to shoot them?

Plasma Guns- Yes they can burn you, but if you fill ONE, just ONE SM/CSM/NEcron, well you&#39;ve paid it off. 2 and you&#39;ve paid it AND the model off, three or more, pure profit baby.

I hope this helps, I am sure there will be some who disagree with me, and I welcome all rebuttals or vindications.

Good Luck Fellow Space Marine Player

Semper Fidelus Imperitoris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, guess I have to get some blister packs to get the more exotic weapons... wish they had sprues for more weapons then the flamer and the rocket laucnher LOL

Definitely need armor support, so a predator is a no-brainer with a Devastator squad or two to hold the line and yes I do want that new missile laucnher scout and the heavy bolter one scouts rock.

I have a CC bias, but I want to keep my force tactical, hopefully in the end mobile, and versatile, with some units that I leave in reserve being shooty, hunter-kill squads, to tie up forces, and fast response forces to shore up where I am weak... so either transports or bike squads will be a must

I want a Librarian to lead my army eventually, but tooled out with a Codicier I got about 160 points lol ><; so I may go Chaplain... but fluff wise I would like Librarian they are the coolest HQ to me

I really appreciate the lessons learned as well ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x4)

I would like to point out that rhinos have 2 firing points from the top hatch. Yes it does make the rhino open topped but for very few points you can put a squad in there with 2 Melta guns or Plasma guns. Thats a lot of firepower for real cheap.

Also well done with 5 man Dev squads with 2 heavy weps. You wont be able to use the Heavy weps if the rhino moves but it makes a nice fire base that becomes 4+ cover if it is destroyed.

What we really need is clarification on opening or closing the hatch.

In any case I am sure we are going to see these as they have more firepower then a 5 man tac squad with a razorback and cost less. Now if we could only find a way to get 2 storm bolters in there.....
    Mentor of Space Marine Commanders far and wide.

Efficiency VS Point Cost VS Ease Of Use - Your best bets:

1) Chaplain led Assault squad - 2 plasma pistols, powerfisted sergeant

2) 8 man Devastator squad - 4 missile launchers

3) Land Speeder Tornado - HB + AC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello hello&#33;

A few things;

I was under the impression space marines vehicles don&#39;t count as open topped due to power armour

If you want fire support, 3 x Vindicators, they can now move 6" and still fire ordanance i&#39;m gluing 3 together as we speak

A common tactic is tactical squads x shedloads

180 points nets you 10 marines a plamsa gun and a plasma cannon = great anti troop capability

Anti vehicle you could take 5 marines and a lascannon for 90

plus should all else fail 3+ armour in close combat is hard for anyone to crack
    "Ah.. i'm almost done with these 3rd quater spreadsheets and still no sign of.."
    "What, is up, my dog?"
    "Ughhh I'm not your dog"
    "Waterman, you crack me up! that's why you're my D-O-G-E"
    "Your Doge? What are you talking about? I'm Strong Bad Waterman works in retial shipping resources"
    "Ah-ha Good one waterman, I mean good one MY DOG"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah man, do yourself a favor and leave them issiles out of the taqct squads if you want mobility, Adn yes, Hinos DO NOT count as open topped with space Marines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast