Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Since the new rules came out I have thought about how different that would make people play against IG and this week one of my friends which plays IG had a lot of dificulty playing with an army which would usually be very standard.
Personally i think that the way to go against IG is now target the command squads and heavy weapon platoons.
What experiences have you faced since the new rules came out?
Do you think your army is now better or worst because of them?
Did you go back into the codex to take a new look at doctrines to adapt to the new rules?
<a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=16083' target='_blank'>Master of the Convent of Our Martyred Saint</a>
Get your sig from-tHe BaD GuY
I think your right about targeting HW Platoons and the Command Squad.
I have modified some of what I do. I used to use a 3 Lascannon HW Squad and had some missle launchers out in the troops. I now have one Lascannon and two Missle Launchers in the HW Squad and the Lascannon out in the field to spread them out. I also use Light Infrantry and Cameoline on the HW Platoon to give them sure cover and extra protection.
As far as the HQ, I give them the same doctorines, and have been thinking instead of mounting them in Chimura and sticking it at the back. It seem everyone has a Bassie or Whirlwind these days.
"A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
Sir Winston Churchil
One nice thing with the new rules is that I no longer get rapid fired on AND THEN assaulted. This gives me a somewhat better chance in close combat, even if it just means more models alive to get attacks back while holding the enemy squad up for a turn.
Im not a big fan of the "you have to shoot at what you are going to assault", but I will agree that it makes sense if you think about it.
Ive gotten used to all the new vehicle rules, and I dont have any major complaints.
Plus, I dont think any amount of rule changes can render 120+ lasgun toting angry guardsmen ineffective. So far so good in 4th ed.
I am the Aquila-Guerilla!
I like the new rules. I just dont like the new drop troop rules all that much. Im really use to the templete thing. The rules dmade us more moble as our tanks can now move and shoot a bit. No more static Russ or Chimeras. Really love that.
<img src='http://www.turnsignalsonalandraider.com/comics/000127.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image' />
well, despite the fact that 4ed was not a *major* change to the rules, it does present a few hurdles for a seasoned IG commander to jump over.
1. the bigest is the loss of Screening. now our fragile command squads and HW squads are naked to the world. and we all know how much punishment T3 5+ models can take...
the solution? Light Infantry on your HW squads and keep your command squads out of LOS. works for me. you can't expect your HWsquads to last more than 3 turns against a good player, but if you position them right (LI) you should get your points back with them.
and as for command squads, i give them... a ... Mortar now.. wow never thought i'd be doing that
2. Rapid Fire. well yes, RF does help when we're moving our guys... but ask any MEQ player out there.. if he fears 18 lasguns shots... ? now ask a IG player if he fears 18 bolter shots... imo, MEQ made out alot better in this than IG... stick to your HWs... but overall i like the change.
3. LD test to shoot non closest. seriously how many times has this been a factor? ok ok, once and a while the guys like "i'm going to shoot your command squad... dang failed my Ld test...." but it doesn't happen that often. with all the Ld 9+ around, it's a rarity to see a failed test.
4. Move and shoot Ordnance. Every IG commanders dream come true. now our tanks don't need to be stationary guns, they can actually advance WITH the troops.. like they're supposed to do!
5. Hull Down. or the lack there of it... well i guess the rule guys were trying to say "hey you sissy IG players, move your damn tanks!" ... well it worked...
remember wayyy back in 3ed when a hull-down russ would last the whole game? ahhh to good ol' days.
but again, i think, in the end... this is a change for the better.
6. new scatter rules. well, when i read these rules... a lil toning fork went off in my pants. seriously, is it just me? or are EarthShakerCannons kicking total ass? hell even my Mortars are doing damage! i just played a game where a mortar killed 3 necron in one turn! w00t
7. transport rules. well IG don't have to worry nearly as much as SM players have to worry. man my SM friend has sworn "Never to use a Rhino again" after he got tottaly screwed over last game... perhaps they're a bit too harsh... seems like if you get hit at all you gotta take a 4+ damage check... but how many times have IG players (excluding mechanized) but worried about this?
8. "Fire Supperiority" well imo, this has hidden powerfists worried more than IG heavy weapons. after all, if you take wounds = to the number of guys in the squad, you're usually dead...
9. new deepstrike rules. i personally like this, no more wiggle room with the template. but i've heard plenty of people say how much the dislike it... well you loose the double1s but you gain the increase in "instant death" do to landing on troops/impassable/off the board.
10. turbo boost. well unfortunatly IG don't have bikes ;( but i've faced enough to say, this helps them alot and if it's true that Necron Scarabs get this ability as well.... ugh....
well overall, IG gain some, and lost some... loss of Screening was obvioulsy the biggest blow as no other armied *needed* screening as much as IG... but imo, it has opened up a realm of new possiblilities. now instead of setting up in the classic "castle formation" IG gets to deploy in more ... "realistic" ways... i.e. not a bunch of HW squads behind a layer or two of one way bullet shields... lol
The new rule I like is regarding to winning assaults. Either D6 or 3". No more 3D6 for assault troops which means they probily won't be able to run into another combat which allows you to shoot at them. Before if my friends assault squad and chaplain got into cc, it was over.
High Elves (BloodBowl)
Warseer Blood Bowl League
4Â° ED rules are ok for me, only thing i hate: with the previous rules i was allowed to fire at enemy troops consolidating in a new CC.
AND i want an open-topped Chimera!! or at least one with side hatches.