Squad Leaders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Squad Leaders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Ello,

I was wondering if any one knows they they took squad leaders out in 3rd edition, I think that was what they were called, the ones with the red start (iron halo) inside of the chapter badge to show their rank. I think they should have kept them in, but just made them like the sergeant, only able to take a bolter, or bolt pistol and close combat weapon.

Any way the reason I ask this was because me and a friend some how got talking about this over MSN, and couldn't see why they took them out, just wondering if any one knows. I would have thought it would be usefull in fluff because some times you have 1 tactical squad, with the first 5 men giving covering fire with a heavy weapon and the other 5 men moving foward with a special weapon (I read that some where). Surly the squad that didn't have the Sergeant still needed a leader? Or is it done by the sergeant just selecting the person incharge and each time it could change.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never heard of anything called a squad leader. Probably before my time. But perhaps you mean veteran sergeants? If so then they are indeed in the codex of 3rd as well as 4th edition.
    “ Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man. ” - Thomas Paine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

my knowlegde on this matter is as good as invictusvis, but i think he does mean some other marine model of some kind. but then again i may be wrong...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in 2nd edition, you could only have 10 man squads of marines. You could have a sergeant and 9 marines, or a sergeant (skull symbol on his shoulder/banner), squad leader (iron halo symbol on his shoulder/banner), and 8 marines. With a squad leader, you could split the squad into two separate 5-man sqauds, even though for force organization purposes, they still counted as one squad. 3rd edition did away with this by allowing you to field 5-man squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by LittleWing@Nov 28 2004, 06:19
    Back in 2nd edition, you could only have 10 man squads of marines. You could have a sergeant and 9 marines, or a sergeant (skull symbol on his shoulder/banner), squad leader (iron halo symbol on his shoulder/banner), and 8 marines. With a squad leader, you could split the squad into two separate 5-man sqauds, even though for force organization purposes, they still counted as one squad. 3rd edition did away with this by allowing you to field 5-man squads.
    [snapback]259702[/snapback]
    Yeah thats they one , any one know why they took em out? This was a looong time ago though, just me and a m8 were talking about it not so long ago.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They didn't take him out since there never was any rules for him. It was a pure fluff thing. A ten man squad had a sergeant and a squad veteran and if you split them into two combat squads of five men each was led by one of them. There were however no rules for the veteran, he was simply another marine but with an iron (red) halo on the left shoulder, over his chapter icon, in the same way as the sergeant had the iron skull on his shoulder. You are still free to paint one of your marines as squad veteran if you want.
    98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot.
    The other 2% are smart enough to question the 'science' behind that number...
    And it's spelled EMPEROR!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I am sure there are ways to make it so that one can be a "Squad Leader" so to speak and still be within the rules. To think there would be no one to take charge in the loss of the leader is silly at best, stupid at worst. Depending on how your army is painted, as previously stated, you can paint one to fit the description.
    "Tyrannids, Dark Eldar, Necrons, or the Heretical Forces of Chaos.. It does not matter who I fight.. They will all fall the same under my bolter fire, and bleed the same from the cut of my Chain Sword.. COURAGE AND HONOR!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah I c so there was no real rules for him then, he was just for fluff, I started about a week of 2 before 3rd edition came out so never got to know the rules for 2nd edition that well. Thanx for that, setteled an arguement now .

+ Reply to Thread